Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.39 4a3910f (plus other v9.0 early access builds)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interestingly, they were able to get the brake fix out to everyone in one weekend so why can't we get a 500mb update to everyone.

IIRC, there is no single universal image--there are SW builds specific to each hardware combination, which is why you see a lumpy release cadence. I would imagine for a given HW config, they'll do a canary release, then follow it with a full release after a couple fo days then move on the next HW config.

The Model 3 brake update was pretty simple as there was a single HW config to worry about.

IIRC, there is no single universal image--there are SW builds specific to each hardware combination
not really.

There are 3 individual hw configs:
1. All MCU1 cars
2. All MCU2 cars
3. Model 3s

firmware image is 100% identical within those categories. So they really have 3 big hw combinations. Then there's the whole ap1 vs ap2 vs ap2.5 - those images are separate and are pulled in separately. Model 3 only has a specialized hw2.5 so it's a monolithic config anyway. Mcu1 and MCU2 cars share same ape2 and ape2.5 images based on what's installed in the car.

not really.

There are 3 individual hw configs:
1. All MCU1 cars
2. All MCU2 cars
3. Model 3s

firmware image is 100% identical within those categories. So they really have 3 big hw combinations. Then there's the whole ap1 vs ap2 vs ap2.5 - those images are separate and are pulled in separately. Model 3 only has a specialized hw2.5 so it's a monolithic config anyway. Mcu1 and MCU2 cars share same ape2 and ape2.5 images based on what's installed in the car.

When I said HW, I meant more than the compute HW, I meant the actual vehicle hardware--drive units, different revs of the BMS, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
When I said HW, I meant more than the compute HW, I meant the actual vehicle hardware--drive units, different revs of the BMS, etc.
I understood well what you said. None of that maters though, every firmware for the categories outlined includes EVERYTHING possible hw-wise (except the ap2.0/ap2.5 firmware image), so if you have a hw2.x car on mcu1, your car includes AP1 firmwares and other stuff that your car cannot have but other MCU1-based car might have, you have every modelX bit even when your car is a model S and so on.

Basically for every given firmware version there are 3 images built as outlined above, and that's all. You can get into any MCU1 car, get firmware dump and install it into any other MCU1 car even of a completely different config and it will work.

Last edited:
834F2B2B-6BFD-4291-B1B8-1F4338460B67.jpeg
:( Still no v9

You can get into any MCU1 car, get firmware dump and install it into any other MCU1 car even of a completely different config and it will work.

Not to go too far OT here, but this statement got me thinking. Does this mean I can take an MCU1 from a salvage model X and install it on my MCU1 model s and expect it to work? Because I have heard that it doesn’t actually function (due to hw-config and VIN mismatches...).

I guess if I have toolbox or root (or even... telnet access to cid-updater...) and can do a redeploy then it should work fine... but that’s a big if, no?

Firmware wise of course you are correct; the fw images are the same and the read only partitions are the same. But the config differs, which means things won’t really work until a redeploy fixes the config/deploys the correct artifacts for the actual connected hardware correct?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Not to go too far OT here, but this statement got me thinking. Does this mean I can take an MCU1 from a salvage model X and install it on my MCU1 model s and expect it to work? Because I have heard that it doesn’t actually function (due to hw-config and VIN mismatches...).
Yes, you can make it work. you will need to update the config in the replacement mcu to match the config of your actual car, of course (this includes vin). Root is pretty important here to first read the old config from old mcu and then to get it into another mcu, but I heard of a pretty interesting way to achieve it without root (that was part-closed in a recent firmware update).

Once you update the config, just do redeploy and you are good to go.

Please has any one with AP1 received V9 update? I know it may not have all the specials that come's with EAP model S,X and 3. After all the statement on Tesla site says All! Model S, X and 3 on the road will get some improvement with V9 ipdate, so has any one updated AP1 Tesla's to V9?
Hopefully there's some good info in here for those who didn't get the update yet...

• Informative
Reactions: LargeHamCollider