Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since we live in the same area/climate, what kind of losses have you seen so far?

My average consumption briefly jumped to over 500Wh/mi the other day which was concerning, but after sitting overnight it was better yesterday and better still today (despite the snow). I was sitting at like 365Wh/mi, where I normally run 300-320.

I'm nuts. I don't use heat if I'm the only occupant. So my use is around 300 even in cold but I also garage my car so it's not horribly cold soaked. The shorter your trips, the less efficient due to battery warming and HVAC start up. 500wh/mi with heat on cold soaked battery isn't uncommon. Winter is rough on range.

2018.42.2 Drive on Nav was great in the morning snow filled commute. AP was solid. Lane lines were visible. Took exit ramp and put me in correct turn lane and took left turn on its own and continued for 3 miles until next light when I needed to turn right. Left turn from ramp onto service road was painted and it took it painfully slowly but otherwise competently.

Haven't gotten snow wheels on yet but all seasons handled wet snow, wipers were way more aggressive than with rain or mist. I am being forced to use heat by my wife and the losses aren't as bad as feared but still substantial.
I'm cursed:

IMG_9034.jpg

It made absolutely no sense to me either. But it works. The mechanic also said that it was more noticeable on my car because i switched from the standard 19" to 21" arachnids, which are more open. Perhaps someone with more technical knowledge can chime in here.

The way I understand it (disclosure: I definitely didn't inherit my dad's mechanical prowess, so this may be wrong!) is that it's not brake dust, but it's rust on the rotors. Every car gets rust on the rotors, but your typical car is using the brakes all the time so it never really builds up. Since our cars don't use the brakes as often, we get a layer that sticks around and causes the noise until the pads clear it away.

I really wish there were some way (aside from "use the brakes more!") to stop that noise. I HATE it so much.

Wow that's an unfortunate stretch to lose AP. It's leading to the areas where I usually can't use AP because it's not aggressive or capable for the loop areas.

I also think Xs are more prone to radar disablement.
Yeah, it was funny when it kicked back on just in time for me not to be able to use it. NoA cannot handle the Ogden exit. (Which matters because I was on my way to Tesla Service to get my screen replaced. lol)

Interesting note: when the radar was reduced visibility, you'll notice that all of the cars in the IC disappeared, not just the ones in front. No red-line blindspot monitoring either.

Probably coincidentally, but I had this warning yesterday (which went away later that day):

IMG_6663.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: croman
The way I understand it (disclosure: I definitely didn't inherit my dad's mechanical prowess, so this may be wrong!) is that it's not brake dust, but it's rust on the rotors. Every car gets rust on the rotors, but your typical car is using the brakes all the time so it never really builds up. Since our cars don't use the brakes as often, we get a layer that sticks around and causes the noise until the pads clear it away.

I really wish there were some way (aside from "use the brakes more!") to stop that noise. I HATE it so much.

Thanks. This makes more sense.

A little update I got out with 42.3 and updated nav in the rain with a lot of mist.. it warned my NoA was limited/restricted and noted construction limiting/restricting NOA too and even popped out of NoA when the mist got really bad but I was amazed how long it stayed in Noa with heavy rain on the highway. when it popped into regular autopilot it did TACC and autosteer fine ( radar was deinfately helping with image locks on surrounding cars) . it actually seemed safer ( relative to other cars around me) than if I was just driving in the mist myself

• Informative
Reactions: croman and jrad6515
I have the same recurring issue in my 2016 MS. A Tesla mechanic said it't a buildup of break dust because my brakes aren't used often. To fix it, I occasionally have to hit the breaks hard a few times.

Did that fix the issue? I think it could be the break pads. I am noticing this more and more now, especially when autosteer is on. I am wondering if the abrupt braking after V9 update has lead to this?

So far, my V9 has not been as smooth as V8. The car could handle all my regular routes so well in V8 without these abrupt braking, swerving back during lane changes or just outright not changing lanes despite no car in the lane into which I want to change!

Did that fix the issue? I think it could be the break pads. I am noticing this more and more now, especially when autosteer is on. I am wondering if the abrupt braking after V9 update has lead to this?

So far, my V9 has not been as smooth as V8. The car could handle all my regular routes so well in V8 without these abrupt braking, swerving back during lane changes or just outright not changing lanes despite no car in the lane into which I want to change!
Was on 42.2 and had same as you. SC pushed 42.3 and WOW! It's like a new car. I've never seen AP so smooth. Taking curves at speeds it never has done. I was seeing everyone saying how nice V9 was but I've never seen it. I think your next update you will be amazed

Yeah, it was funny when it kicked back on just in time for me not to be able to use it. NoA cannot handle the Ogden exit. (Which matters because I was on my way to Tesla Service to get my screen replaced. lol)

Interesting note: when the radar was reduced visibility, you'll notice that all of the cars in the IC disappeared, not just the ones in front. No red-line blindspot monitoring either.

Probably coincidentally, but I had this warning yesterday (which went away later that day):

View attachment 351167

I had that one in a Model X I rented from Turo last weekend. Always after the rain had stopped, but never during the heaviest rain on Monday. Renting a Model X was much cheaper than adding on the connecting flight from Chicago to Peoria. Go figure.

This has to be a bug:
I cannot select the 2nd and 3rd row seat warmers and have the climate control system off. With the system off, when you click on the fan to bring up the seat warmer window, the system turns on. If I turn the system off, it closes the window. When I click the fan, it turns the systems back on. You can go round and round and never be able to control the 2nd and 3rd row seats and have the system stay off.

Reactions: mazeminder and Pdkj