Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some previews:

p9bwfcZnWkGscO09Yh-nx6_Tnxi0MZO9CCZV2xzNKiY2LXc32O10e4c9tWc3LZ8nyX7F2bACjIVmbNxikOPUbeW6dj7Po0SHwUGVvSdzIom1CUWxKcnCQWIODGCCyYQFvyRlKuj5bZB-Kdm0xXZSgeLAdS9MrFE2kN5fDtMVRNX-zePpwSPG58ciTEbrCDXKSXPf1zDHDrBhliCaO8edJAGLyx57oqmKUf_69tyNHaLW4Oeixw548qWsZ3wh99sdL8Zp6J9-TiiffoqLgWzMXxKtaJP_agc6CnGYDgCZxe_DgTp9xxi-HkSKLWzwc6L1AlSbpNHdqq9scmcpfsV0N2nlzo-_7d0ha6jgY4YaGGwOufYZ-Q1QzgVOxbwsY0t19xZVNse1u3Z0S7IVz1qTFxUE95Qhf--TD4H-zv3sGTvr-kHi0oQxEE9hZdKO0oOqZkS1mUVmvYUKObC7wkjn52MFFRCdJD6SnbUVbMrxx01hPipqEWpwpSnFf-TcfrLdz7jb_OhGS_m2YsKuv0zzwUJYYIrKQlYMyEO_Uw9XIwwKVP8oMQhgEw729ErGdDPq7eYcZThCkzJDl7VywO4P5MobhofqVG0MM3xI0jCTwKEiEc8U9svtuITaWHlTMKNxpsPXWXdy1PUKD8cY_28BO6S4vQ=w679-h905-no

7DAYxwDfTFV8Fy_i0CKSn8jbX743lBkap8fjMna5ubVKmccCvKqIJUjrZdOaf5KEpraZ8HoGRMag75zLlkiLXN_kTdiXes2YvJ6J4lUnYFalIkS-WQO9nBuORKd7Dj89CN5OLqJAyfo544OjQ-ToXQwbryTyO2Faanyio2_ETE2UU1-DXtG27kSDipRZp5sfc4Z4Gv4vAhBRWUMpOnF7ZaoYoIMgwKM0xH1TNBTCe9HBZJKJ0rKT7OepQzb0q0PIuyVpzch7i4btJs08SRSmnhl8hsDP9iEU3yqp9_jwBY47F1nQ3TVp3V2IeftKmrACNH2s7U1-KPFRFFVORwMJInlLT1JihiY7EIqknTif2k7iPKjmlAf8TjvlWZ39XHpaaSB2OlBqkgwWmRNI_nGKUcVApISiO51o4kyGckOaUno1DwFgoJACOcxgmuSC72sqLvd--U1gm8PYLthtVexnQ9VuZl_Sake9Ry0zlLAWZwsIuJWyQECgQhgPU3PhOo8JMXloiUBzlDfQdNsKY4yqAqQGc1eNoe1f1Z7qSbMJck5cooPDWBgjBMUcXt37JicBsM-XML3L152bIujHaXv43HZ8RA1UOgKUOizMIZLaYdXs9gWbLo7hqvKToWDtpMXB2z-GND8GQ0b6QYci5sNmuKUs9A=w679-h905-no

Eg6pkvowB3YZXrox6yJhQjX55wknyXts1ctTx9HOwI3AzFRJGP1nwvArm75e0TD8GKZMRGXMQ477ZTYLUczutcx24BXzVVHueKqRGPBv1x9-MWMwZNiMNk_eveVLRm1EmaXklQg9IUuACKNRb463kdv5iR5UoQCLaW0r-ks5LNNknmLwS_Q0C_trZPwlxF5uWyKva2Z0FKKeCH0QryYOLKJdlf6UopPPlOtzOtbPWEoWxYGleikJW_yoKprAYRubDcsTJuCLtDf28cuRqRK861yhGlLk17j0ZXqJgRtnSft2MZB88_frObSRXLOfEtuAYb2S4skqatOHeVOmk2ycysgFW0vSzfnXjarGn34gJfpitcWc5jArfmb4ekYlEQXyhQxJaGEJKGiicusCH991auV36JjNwiExsYWYTgW8SfN_cI_sBO096411d-T8K8IzAXQBFyYMHltvc6l4rcZQcvRXZsyCXJWX0IFIgGd2UxNZ3ies5drkVSrN5vDgqtoHCpw6As8XLZCZ5nmDeVWRhjIRT-cEwtkJRqBChlNH3U7kEAmy7bXDDjcD-9500w8ejW7Qa38YHescfZw_IVH_E2fsPWFV0daD3owKqE_oYeOugT1eDXNcpgNlWbnIEnWAaGi_4w-oH08rZZLphmnThC5XFg=w679-h905-no

• Informative
Reactions: SeBsZ and jlv1
I have found that most cars have a rear camera view on top by default.
Its called the rear view mirror
:p

As a moderately serious aside.
Do you think that the landscape format display will become the Tesla standard for all cars now?

Well, when Electrek, notorious drinker and purveyor of Tesla Kool-Aid, calls the AP update "disappointing", you should probably just believe them: Tesla starts releasing Navigate on Autopilot feature with disappointing caveat, update with UI changes

Meanwhile, Elon is again promising investors that Tesla Network is going to turn our cars into a truly driverless ride sharing fleet.

And also they are trying to wrap their head around the AP. ;)

Releasing navigate on autopilot in incremental phases makes perfect sense from a safety and adaptability standpoint. We'll see auto lane change feature soon...

This.

Tesla is playing a dangerous game by selling a durable good and then changing it after the sale without giving the purchaser any option to not accept the change. If you were to buy a refrigerator with french doors and then have it changed to a side-by-side layout by the manufacturer later, with no choice in the matter, would you be OK with that? Durable goods are expected, and I would venture to guess though IANAL, probably required by law at least in some places, to not involuntarily take away features that were present at the time of sale, at least not without very good reason (e.g., safety or court order).

Let's all hope that we don't wake up tomorrow in a house whose floor plan was changed by the builder overnight during an update without warning.
This needs medication

I seriously can’t believe that I’m seeing multiple Tesla owners across multiple threads demanding that Tesla never make software changes. Maybe you (the general “you”, not anyone specifically) don’t think that’s what you’re doing (or even worse, maybe you do), but you’re telling them “don’t you dare take away feature X because I rely on it and if it disappears we riot!” Who knows what the next “feature X” turns out to be. Innovation isn’t always a smooth process, and things generally get broken along the way. Part of a designer/developer’s job is not to give the user what they SAY they want, but what they’re actually looking to get. Maybe they sometimes miss the mark, but that’s part of the cost of moving forward.

Obligatory relevant xkcd: xkcd: Workflow

To top it all off, we’ve pretty much devolved into full out tribal warfare between multiple camps. It’s frankly embarrassing. A portion of the general population already looks at our cars and thinks we’re a bunch of rich entitled douchebags. Can we try NOT giving them further reason to think that, please?

The issue is: removing functionality that was a selling point when purchasing a $150k car.

I'm super excited for all of you AP2.x car owners that can look past the diminishing of the UI while hyper-focusing on the AP improvements.
Unfortunately for the rest of us, we would just like the functionality to remain that we already had.

I don't need the GD media player to pop-up over half the screen every time I get in the car. Stay closed until I choose to open it.
I don't need the Controls to always open to the Quick Controls tab, when there's nothing in there that I normally adjust. Leave it how it was; where it always went back to the last tab you were in.
I don't need the map open 100% of the time. I know where I'm going. I would however like to keep useful information displayed; and dare I say, two different sources of useful information at the same time.
Monochrome may be the cool new retro hipster way of displaying a UI, but it makes it more difficult to quickly glance at the screen while driving; spending more time with your eyes off the road. I can barely tell if my suspension is in [Standard] or [Low] with a glance now.
Etc, Etc, Etc.....

I don't leave my camera on, but I support those folks, because they at least are willing to say something. Add features, don't take features away....

To each their own, but I've noticed a lot of added features as well. It's just a change, I happen to like it and a lot better. I understand that not everyone will, but it's one of the features of Tesla that I like most, that they update their cars at all! I've got a four year old car and I got a "new" car a few days ago. That's pretty cool stuff.

Well, when Electrek, notorious drinker and purveyor of Tesla Kool-Aid, calls the AP update "disappointing", you should probably just believe them: Tesla starts releasing Navigate on Autopilot feature with disappointing caveat, update with UI changes
That's not what Fred complained about in the article. He's complaining that you have to manually change lanes vs. the automatic "mad max" mode that the hackers demonstrated when v9 first started to appear. His impression is AP telling ("suggesting") you when to change lanes around slow cars and getting over to the right lane to make your exit is pointless and redundant, yet at the same time complains that "...but it was shown that they have the ability to make it automatic!!!!" in the unreleased hacked versions. It's like he can't quite draw the connection between "maybe they're going to release it in a mostly-manual fashion first, verify its behavior/performance, and then enable the automatic options..." and instead decided to write a click-bait headline.

tl;dr:
Unassisted Lane Change (as it's been called) isn't in .42 - THAT is the "disappointing caveat"

This.

Tesla is playing a dangerous game by selling a durable good and then changing it after the sale without giving the purchaser any option to not accept the change. If you were to buy a refrigerator with french doors and then have it changed to a side-by-side layout by the manufacturer later, with no choice in the matter, would you be OK with that? Durable goods are expected, and I would venture to guess though IANAL, probably required by law at least in some places, to not involuntarily take away features that were present at the time of sale, at least not without very good reason (e.g., safety or court order).

Let's all hope that we don't wake up tomorrow in a house whose floor plan was changed by the builder overnight during an update without warning.
describing something that is sold as software defined with over the air updates as a "durable good" is a stretch to say the least.
This car is sold (and always has been) as constantly updating and changing with updates being consistently applied.
Suggesting legal recourse because a display moved is a little OTT.
I remember some suggesting that the Model 3 speedo location would cause all sorts of similar issues - and yet here we are with the sky firmly in place.

That's not what Fred complained about in the article. He's complaining that you have to manually change lanes vs. the automatic "mad max" mode that the hackers demonstrated when v9 first started to appear. His impression is AP telling ("suggesting") you when to change lanes around slow cars and getting over to the right lane to make your exit is pointless and redundant, yet at the same time complains that "...but it was shown that they have the ability to make it automatic!!!!" in the unreleased hacked versions. It's like he can't quite draw the connection between "maybe they're going to release it in a mostly-manual fashion first, verify its behavior/performance, and then enable the automatic options..." and instead decided to write a click-bait headline.

tl;dr:
Unassisted Lane Change (as it's been called) isn't in .42 - THAT is the "disappointing caveat"
What?
Clickbait on Electrek?
Say it ain't so!
Thats like saying InsideEVs doesn't delete comments they don't agree with.
:rolleyes:

Perfect - thank you for reposting. So the rear camera can now be in the top half of the screen - woohoo! (all as recently promised by Mr. Musk). Look forward to this update as for someone like me without AP hardware, the rear camera is my high tech blind spot detection tool :). Are you able to have the rear camera view in the top portion of the screen while having maps at the bottom or are the maps only in the background behind whatever apps you have launched? (yearning for the previous (8) version where the screens could be easily arranged while not having maps in the background at all times).