Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received 42.2 last night and took it for a test drive this afternoon in medium traffic. Navigate on Autopilot was completely useless for me. No matter how close I was to the exit, the car kept prompting me to get into the carpool lane. I was also subject to random slowdowns / braking periodically for no obvious fault or reason. (This is different from phantom braking, where it tends to occur near a freeway overpass or overhead sign.) The worst part was that the car constantly bombarded me with chimes and messages about clicking the stalk to change lanes, applying light force to the steering wheel, and that the car was attempting a maneuver. It was a huge unnecessary distraction. The combination of these issues makes Navigate on Autopilot a danger to use and I will not activate it again until I see significant improvement.

What were the engineers thinking?

I haven't used it that much, but haven't seen... any of those problems. I've gotten exactly 1 extra chime of any kind per session(notifying me that navigate on autopilot is deactivating on an offramp) and no messages other than the accompanying one to the chime I mentioned. No extra slowdowns or braking, my car, even with Mad Max mode enabled, didn't prompt me to get into a faster lane when I got within ~1 mile of my exit.

No idea what the difference is, but my guess is that the engineers you mention didn't see any of the problems you mention.

Yes, yet, I think of the blind spot another way. An area that most every car has unless having one of those add-on wide view external mirrors. It is the occasion where someone moves into the real quarter panel of the car from another farther lane over and hard to see them until they are practically already in the lane even when the mirror is adjusted properly. I'm surprised at how many people do that. If I move into that lane at the same time they do, then $#%*$*&@. Of course you know that the person behind is going to get upset and blame the person in front for moving into the lane ahead of them.

We should start using the more precise terminology. I think when we say blind spot / BSM we really mean LCA (Lane Change Assist). That is, a system that tells you whether or not it's appropriate to change into the lane next to you, factoring in both cars next to you and fast cars behind you.

An unsettling incident today: I was driving on AP (not NAV) in town and turned on my blinker to tell the car to change lanes. The lane to my right was clear but there was a car a very safe distance back. My car started to make the change and then swerved sharply back into my lane. I had to take over and make the lane change. There was no excuse for my car to begin the lane change and then swerve back, because nothing about the situation changed from the time I turned on the blinker until the time the car decided to swerve back. And I really don't think it should have rejected a lane change with that much space available.

Sounds very similar to the experience I had on the Dutch highways. No upcoming traffic from being on the right lane, no traffic nearby, making the lane change and suddenly aborting and slowing down a bit. It is the slowing down part that is worrying me as most of the time there was traffic behind me on my lane. It worked ok if the road was completely clear around me.

Its as if the lane change assist thinks the car right behind me on my lane is driving on the right meaning that that it doesn't correctly map the lanes and car position on the back facing cameras. Which is not that strange based on the 'dancing movement' of the cars and especially the trucks.

Absolutely. With 2018.39.6 this past Sunday driving to the AZ Cardinals game on 101 I could not get my X to lane change into the HOV lane with just a single solid white line between the lanes. I tried several times. No problems having AP change lanes across the normal traffic lanes. I had to force the steering wheel and drop out of Autosteer in order to change into or out of the HOV lane.

It hasn't always been like that. Hopefully "fixed" in 2018.42.2 which I now have but haven't tried yet.

It's not. I realize in other states it should not be allowed to cross a solid HOV line. Hoping they can, IDK...change the map "tiles" or whatever to allow it in Arizona?

Just got .42. Funny thing - it went straight from 34.1 to 42.2 - in Norway.

• Regression on UI. Indeed camera goes on top but you are forced to have the media player there???
  • Rain sensor not noticeably better. I mean it's kinda important. I switch on and off like on an old 80s/90s Civic or something.
  • Still limited autosteer speed on local roads
  • Auto lange change on local roads (yay!)
  • Still teenage braking

Not really related, but just wanted to make the observation that whenever someone uses the term "blind spot", I read that as "I can't be bothered to learn to properly adjust my mirrors". The Model S does not HAVE a blind spot. I haven't driven a MX or M3, but I'll wager they don't have one either.

(place Dislikes here:rolleyes:)

Yeah, no. I've "properly" adjusted my mirrors before. While it did eliminate the blind spot, it eliminates long range view of the adjacent lanes. In that configuration I almost had someone run into me during a lane change because I couldn't see them rapidly approaching from the rear right (30+ft and closing fast). It's safer to adjust the mirrors to give you infinite parallel view in the adjecent lanes, and then just check over your shoulder for the blind spot (or utilize the backup camera). The MS rear view mirror is masked on the edges and doesn't have the ability to cleanly look long distances in adjacent lanes like other cars.

That "proper" configuration you're referring to is just plain dangerous, and trust me I gave it a proper try for a few months. I had multiple near misses from speeding cars that were too far back, out of view. Never again. Now that I'm used to having the camera up, my safety bubble is thoroughly huge and I've never even come close to a dangerous situation, no matter how bad the other driver.

Last edited:
Yeah, no. I've "properly" adjusted my mirrors before. While it did eliminate the blind spot, it eliminates long range view of the adjacent lanes. In that configuration I almost had someone run into me during a lane change because I couldn't see them rapidly approaching from the rear right (30+ft and closing fast). It's safer to adjust the mirrors to give you infinite parallel view in the adjecent lanes, and then just check over your shoulder for the blind spot (or utilize the backup camera). The MS rear view mirror is masked on the edges and doesn't have the ability to cleanly look long distances in adjacent lanes like other cars.

That "proper" configuration you're referring to is just plain dangerous, and trust me I gave it a proper try for a few months. I had multiple near misses from speeding cars that were too far back, out of view. Never again. Now that I'm used to having the camera up, my safety bubble is thoroughly huge and I've never even come close to a dangerous situation, no matter how bad the other driver.
Sorry you had trouble. In my opinion (and it is my opinion, obviously not your experience), you would be able to see a rapidly approaching vehicle in one of your mirrors -- maybe not the one you would normally see it in, but if you can see the entirety of the 180° view behind/beside you, you would see it. I do have to admit, after being trained as a beginning driver to improperly adjust my mirrors, then driving that way for 45 years, it ain't easy to change.

Edit: I can see the situation you are talking about, now that I have thought about it more. Thanks for pointing it out so I can think of what I'll do if ever in that situation. I was wrong to describe mirror adjustment as a panacea. There will be traffic situations where I have to understand the shortcomings and be prepared to deal with them. Thanks!

Last edited:
I was having a lot of random breaking events moving at slow speeds yesterday with 42.2. I realized it was because it detected cars in adjacent lanes as cars in front of me and started breaking for them. I did a scroll wheel reboot and things have been better since, I think....

97D57333-FB2C-4DE1-A7E0-AD4F03C6CDE0.jpeg D0C295EF-1FD1-46C9-899C-C3312B7E6981.jpeg
I was having a lot of random breaking events moving at slow speeds yesterday with 42.2. I realized it was because it detected cars in adjacent lanes as cars in front of me and started breaking for them. I did a scroll wheel reboot and things have been better since, I think....
I have had this a couple of times. Today I noticed the lorry in front was in different lane and then it picked up temporary lights as a lorry

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing
The strangest thing that has happened to me with 2018.42 is that I was happily driving along and suddenly the air conditioning came on at 70 degrees with the fan when it was already about that same temperature in the car. I turned it off. About 10 minutes later it happened again :confused:

Day 4 with NoA, and it finally got an exit ramp "right" except then it immediately tried to smash me into a concrete barrier. So every other exit I've tried to let NoA handle, it has waited until the exit is halfway behind it before putting on the turn signal and then getting into the lane. This morning for the first time it recognized the exit immediately, as the lane was appearing, and started moving into it even before it was a full-width lane. "Great!", I thought at first, "it's finally doing this more or less the way it's supposed to!" Except there was no shoulder on this exit ramp, only a concrete barrier. And it zoomed into the lane before it was full-width -- not gradually, following the right lane line as it expanded, as a person would have, but suddenly as if the whole lane was already there. So I didn't have long (0.5s maybe) to be impressed before I was taking over to avoid hitting that barrier.

I should also note that, as usual for exit lanes, it did not ask for confirmation before executing this maneuver. If I hadn't been vigilant with my hands on the wheel and my eyes on the road, I would likely have bounced off that barrier. I should also mention that it was dark and rainy at the time (as it often is during my commte...)

Stay safe people.

I mirror your situation: Model X w/ hardware 2.5 and EAP. Just updated to 42.2 from 39.7 and have the HOV option for my map. In the 42.2 release notes, the only addition is the change to the media player and floating camera/energy graphs. Nothing for NoA under Autopilot settings. Not sure why we are getting left out! :( Please provide an update with what tech support responds with.
Got some additional info on my situation. I had a mobile tech come out to work on our Model 3 and had him look up my X and he found that there are a bunch of failed attempts to update the Maps. He said it looks like it was downloaded properly, but was failing during the install. He is going to forward it on to an engineer to look into it a little deeper.

So, apparently, having the "HOV Lane" option doesn't necessarily mean that you have the latest version of the maps...

I want to like Navigate on Autopilot, but I just can't do it yet:

- It apparently requires traffic in adjacent lanes to suggest a lane change. I was using Mad Max in the middle lane going about 10 under my set desired speed with the lane to the left of me completely devoid of traffic. I had at least 5 miles until my exit, and it refused to suggest that I change to the left lane.
- I was in a left lane with two lanes to my right, and I was about 3 miles from my exit. My lane was moving at a decent pace, but the lanes to the right were almost stopped. It kept prompting me to change into the right lane.
- One specific freeway has two entrances, each with two lanes. Those four lanes feed into one lane to actually get on the freeway. The car has no real idea how to handle this, so it's pretty unsafe to actually give it a chance and see what it'll do.
- It still aborts lane changes part-way through, seemingly at random.

It's a decent first attempt, but it absolutely deserves the beta tag that it's wearing.

I got 42.2 last night. Updated from 40. The NoA option was not available and was not listed in the release notes. I know others have this same issue. After the update I went for a 50 mile drive (using AP 99% of the time) thinking the cameras needed more calibrating. Still nothing. I rebooted and MCU and IC. Still nothing. I did the Power Off option in Controls, waited 5+ minutes and still nothing. This morning there was still no option before I left for work and nothing after I got to work. I called Tesla and they said there were no alerts coming from the car. They said I had the correct maps. I asked if they could tell if all the cameras were calibrated and the tech said he could not see that level of detail. After putting me on hold for a bit he came back and said that a senior tech said that it could take 24+ hours after installing 42.2 before that feature will present itself. So now I'm waiting until tomorrow.

I've read on here that others have installed the update and the NoA feature was ready immediately. So the 24+ hour wait does not make any sense. From looking at TeslaFi, it appears that the vast majority of 42.2 updates have been from cars that were still on V8 and getting V9 for the first time. I was already running V9 since 39.6 (and 40). I wonder if this has anything to do with it?? For those that the NoA feature was not present after installing 42.2, did you already have an earlier V9 update or was this your first V9 update?

I was on V9 when I got 42.2.

I have had 2018.42.2 (from 39.6) for a couple of days now in my (Dec 31) 2016 Model S (P100). It seems a bit more polished all around - though this may very well be Placebo event (and I don't expect miracles in NoA). However what I did want to mention is that it fixed a problem where my car had been experiencing a significant low rumble on WOT acceleration (Ludicrous) from 50MPH through 70+. II tried resetting, cycling through all speed modes etc... I was getting ready to make a service appointment. Much to my surprise, its totally gone now. Thanks Tesla... Now waiting for new summon!