Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.42.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm confused by these reports. I'm running (on 2018.42.2) with all HVAC controls auto except for forcing recirculating air on. It does not look like forcing recirculation makes everything (anything) else manual. Am I misinterpreting what it's doing?

Bruce.

I can confirm that (on 2018.42.2) if I turn recirculation on and then change the temperature the car will increase the fan speed accordingly!

Reactions: rush6410
I can confirm that (on 2018.42.2) if I turn recirculation on and then change the temperature the car will increase the fan speed accordingly!

Hm, maybe it's just that the UI no longer has any way to display which aspects are in manual and which are in auto. The "Auto" indicator (there's only one now) seems to turn off when you touch anything, so I assumed that meant it was all or nothing. I will do some experiments myself and see if I can figure it out.

Reactions: JohnnyG

I've noticed a lot of interesting Climate Control behavior lately:
1) the recirculation turns off randomly after a few days when the system is in Auto
2) a few times it appeared the fan was running at a different speed than shown... higher and lower than the display showed
3) noticed once the fan was running very high (lots of noise), but very little air was coming out of any vents... as if they where all closed

#2 and 3 only seem to happen when the outside temp was high 90s or hotter.

Maybe this is what Elon warned us about -- the A.I. is taking over :eek:

I've had 2018.42.2 for about a week and I have NavOnAutopilot. Tried it 4 times so far and I'm actually impressed. The first time I used it was at night, driving in an area that I'm not familiar with. The Nav was showing a highway transition coming up, and the car switched on the turn signal and moved onto the exit ramp and made the turn onto the next highway flawlessly. I wasn't sure which exit I was supposed to take since there were two with the same name and I didn't notice I was supposed to be taking the West ramp. But the car figured it out and turned onto the correct ramp. Another time I used it the nav was showing my exit was coming up but there was a car next to me blocking the lane. So the turn signal came on and the car slowed down to allow the car on the right to go ahead, and then it moved into the exit lane. As others have mentioned, it wasn't the way I would have done it (since my 90D would have been fast enough to accelerate ahead of the car next to me and move in front of it with plenty of time before needing to exit the freeway), but it was still fairly smooth and accomplished the maneuver without affecting other traffic. Seemed more like my wife was driving than me, but I'm ok with that! I can definitely see a path to FSD, and this gets us one step closer.

Hm, maybe it's just that the UI no longer has any way to display which aspects are in manual and which are in auto. The "Auto" indicator (there's only one now) seems to turn off when you touch anything, so I assumed that meant it was all or nothing. I will do some experiments myself and see if I can figure it out.

In a few seconds while waiting in traffic, I discovered a couple of things about the HVAC controls:

1. The recirc control has three states, which I'll call forced on, forced off, and auto. Forced on and auto are both blue, but auto is a faint blue, as opposed to forced on, which is a more saturated blue. I'm not sure if everyone would be able to tell the difference, but I was mostly OK with this. Toggling recirc in and out of auto doesn't affect the state of any other control (including the global "auto" button). This kind of halfway makes sense to me.

2. The AC control works totally differently. If you try to force AC (and I don't remember the colors for its modes), it does turn off the global "auto". :confused:

Bruce.

Anyone still not have NOA despite being on the latest version? I’m on 42.3 but nada.
Yes - also on 42.3 and no NoA (and not in the release notes either for 42.2 or 42.3 for me). Contact service if you've not already done so. Chances are you're maps are not updated to the latest. I've got an appointment at the local SC tomorrow morning for them to manually update the maps since they've not been able to do so OTA (WiFi).

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
One thing I've noticed in addition to the much more information 360 degree view is that sometimes it can see multiple cars up to 150m ahead. Today I spotted 4 cars directly in front spaced out over 150m where V8 could only ever show 2 at most.
Sometimes it even remembers that the second or third car in front is a SUV or a van, and it’s hard for me as a human to tell.

Reactions: conman
Anyone still not have NOA despite being on the latest version? I’m on 42.3 but nada.

You need to call service. I bit the bullet and waited the 40 minutes. After first telling me I don't have "enhanced" autopilot, then changing his mind and confirming I do, he looked at the car logs and the latest firmware installed but some "modules" were not installed correctly (I assume this may well be the maps that other people are reporting as the problem).

He said this is a known issue and offered two choices:

1) Escalate to engineering, which will take ~2 weeks
2) Schedule a mobile service appointment to get everything updated properly

Unsurprisingly, I chose option 2. I "should receive a call within 24-48 hours to schedule". Shall I hold my breath?

This change was made to consolidate and align all platform codebases. It will eventually be able to allow Tesla to accelerate improvements eventually leading to FSD. This looks like Tesla took a step backwards in order to take bigger steps forwards. The alignment and consolidation should lead to less bugs. So, the benefits may not be visible until future releases.

Good software development practices and processes are what lead to more robust software. The history of product from Tesla would indicate they have, at best, mediocre practices/processes.

Been using NOA allday errday - and had my first surprise with it this evening.

Currently on 42.3, driving with NOA on Mad Max setting, just sharing for the sake of sharing. Had to take over to prevent NOA from rear-ending someone. You can hear the alerts (forward collision warning), so the car certainly sensed an event yet NOA did not try to react.

Love the new functionality but was a nice reminder to stay attentive!

• Informative
Reactions: Penfold and croman
Sometimes it even remembers that the second or third car in front is a SUV or a van, and it’s hard for me as a human to tell.
Yes I noticed that too. The situational awareness difference is astounding by the way... One thing that still baffles me though is even when it seems to know where the road division is, the icons for cars going in the opposite direction are still facing the same direction you're travelling in. V8 never rendered any cars going in the opposite direction at all.

• Love
Reactions: chillaban
2. The AC control works totally differently. If you try to force AC (and I don't remember the colors for its modes), it does turn off the global "auto". :confused:

Ahh, but this is exactly what I want to do. The official recommendation for better efficiency/range in the winter is to turn off the heat and use the seat warmers (if you have them). Efficiency aside, I really like this situation; the warm seat feels better to me than warm air. So my usual strategy particularly in the shoulder months when it's sunny and not super cold out, was to turn off the AC and set the temperature quite low. I didn't actually want it to kick on the AC, I just wanted it to circulate a little bit of air and not turn the heater on unless it got really cold in the cabin.

But now to do this trick, I need to be constantly tweaking the fan speed myself as conditions change. Or I need to risk having it decide to actually kick on the AC, which is definitely not what I'm after.

I'll submit an executive escalation and see what they say.

Reactions: Donz_S and am_dmd
Been using NOA allday errday - and had my first surprise with it this evening.

Currently on 42.3, driving with NOA on Mad Max setting, just sharing for the sake of sharing. Had to take over to prevent NOA from rear-ending someone. You can hear the alerts (forward collision warning), so the car certainly sensed an event yet NOA did not try to react.

Love the new functionality but was a nice reminder to stay attentive!

This is less about NavOnAP and more about the auto lane change and TACC in general. It does not react quickly enough when cars are changing lanes (that can mean your car or other cars). I think the emergency braking would have kicked in soon, but not enough to prevent the collision, only enough to slow you down a bit.

Something like this happens to me on probably ~70% of my commutes. I guess it depends on what the roads and traffic are like where you drive how often it happens, because for some people apparently this is a rare occurrence. Autopilot tries to murder me and everybody else on the road around me so regularly that I would never consider anything other than staying attentive.

Well, OK, that's not quite true -- when I take road trips and travel through less urban areas with wide, well-marked lanes and exits, gentle curves, and fewer cars driving like they're fleeing armageddon, AP does quite well and I can totally see being lulled into a false sense of security. But I know that it's still just biding its time, waiting for its moment to strike...

And actually I'm being too hard on AP -- TACC is a valuable safety feature even though it's not 100% reliable. I am convinced that it makes me much safer; it has certainly saved my butt a couple of times. Autosteer is not a safety-improving feature as far as I can tell; at best it would help out if you fell asleep or had a heart attack, otherwise I think it's probably decreasing safety by allowing people to pay less attention to the road. And NavOnAP so far for me has very much been a negative on safety.

Tesla should take note that TACC, the only feature I consider really safety-improving at this point, is also available on quite a few other makes of car, and it's really just as good on many of them. I wish Tesla would focus less on "self-driving" features and more on safety-improving, "guardian angel" type features. The blind spot monitor and the acceleration limiting (when object detected ahead) features are really the best safety features in V9, hands down. NavOnAP is a dangerous gimmick.

Well, have you tried the acceleration limiter? It seems to me it works the similar way as the emergency braking. Just in a very limited scenarios and in a very limited way. From what I've seen the Eyesight from Subaru can do, Tesla is unfortunately nowhere near with these safety features. And vice versa with autosteer....

Hi all,

Sorry if I bother but I do like v9
Got it last week with v42.3 on my MS dec 2017 mcu1 ap2.5

Like graphics and these more dense screens
Grayish colors ok
Camera calibrated fast, no issues with that
Like to see cars behind and blind spot feature
Europe so no NoD yet I think ... but not yet time to test
Dash cam ok. AP nice on my first 2 drives
Cold climate settings look better to me, more accessible in fact
Browser looks faster (ok not difficult)
Works for me so far

Cheers
Your browser actually works? Mine is just blank since v9 not loading anything.

• Helpful
Reactions: Donz_S