Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.12.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually I'm "kinda pissed" that my TACC (which I use frequently) went from silky smooth to shadow braking when cars pass me or I safely change lanes. I was hoping to get back to the way it was before 2019.4.2

In almost 2 years of ownership, this is the first time that I've had an update rescinded, so I didn't know why.

I just learned the hard way there is definitely a calibration period for this update. I got 2019.12 today. The GF and I took it for a spin out to dinner. TACC wouldn't keep speed. Anytime I engaged it it started slowing down immediately. Autosteer went unavailable as did TACC. It also seems to lurch forward or back when I adjust the speed so much as 1mph.

We have video including POV video of the drive.

It was rough enough of an experience that when we got home I called Tesla and asked what was going on. The tech was real helpful and explained my side cameras only reached ~90%-95%. He said it shouldn't cause the issues we had but once fully calibrated I should have 0 issues.

I'll update after a few days.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Disagree
Reactions: Skryll and John G
It was rough enough of an experience that when we got home I called Tesla and asked what was going on. The tech was real helpful and explained my side cameras only reached ~90%-95%. He said it shouldn't cause the issues we had but once fully calibrated I should have 0 issues.
Wouldn't it be nice if there were some sort of driver feedback explaining the situation? Seems like it'd be helpful both to the driver and to the tech support folks who have to constantly field these calls.

That's most unusual given the side cameras were meant to have calibrated way back when V9 first rolled out. Perhaps they actually need to recalibrate now with some releases. In my case AP has remained bad for extended periods without any sign of improving over time or distance unfortunately.

So us S/X folks will get this in December or something. Cool. I guess. Tired of S being deprioritized on updates. And I don't even mean development or features. I just mean, tired of us being deprioritized on having the updates pushed at all.

So it's hard to get excited about 2019.12 when I really have no prospect of seeing it soon. Cool in general though.

2018 model S the same here

Reactions: camthehombre
First time I got an update the first day it was released!

Testing out sentry mode, I managed to get the red circle on the MCU, but couldn't set off the alarm by hitting the window. Was afraid to hit it any harder.

Still no dashcam on MCU1 :(

Will be trying out the new supercharging rate soon, hopefully the ones around me support it.

Do you have MCU1 and AP2 ?
Dashcam is working fine on MCU1 and AP2.5.

I've just given that a try:
Model S, AP2.0 Car delivered 6/2017
If there is a FAT32 formated USB Stick with TeslaCam Folder plugged in, Sentry mode tries to use it. The operative word being "tries".
View attachment 394882
As you can see, it creates event-related .mp4 files; they do not however nontain any usable information. they're all 595 bytes and obviously without any actual video.

Tried twice with two different sticks, so certainly lokks like a system limitation.

I have a similar vintage (MS AP2.0 3/17 delivery) and tried formatting a USB FAT32 (on Mac)with a folder "TeslaCam" and plugging into the front USB ports - but nothing recorded. No dashcam from driving; no Sentry Mode clips from approaching the car when the HAL light comes on.

Could someone please explain the steps after formatting the drive? Is there anything on the screen that confirms the USB is recognized and able to be recorded to?

Thanks

I have a similar vintage (MS AP2.0 3/17 delivery) and tried formatting a USB FAT32 (on Mac)with a folder "TeslaCam" and plugging into the front USB ports - but nothing recorded. No dashcam from driving; no Sentry Mode clips from approaching the car when the HAL light comes on.

Could someone please explain the steps after formatting the drive? Is there anything on the screen that confirms the USB is recognized and able to be recorded to?

Thanks
I added this as an add-on question when I called in. "Will my car record any clips from sentry mode". I have a late 2016 ms purchased right around your time frame. The tech confirmed for me no actual recording will take place with my AP 2.0 car until the AP 3.0 hardware that I'm entitled to for prepaying for FSD gets installed. So if you paid for FSD you'll get recordings when they replace our computers. If you haven't bought FSD I think you'll have to settle for the placebo.

Thanks

For anyone trying to figure out if their car recognizes the USB drive (to confirm which MCU you have), this video shows the icon you should see when it is pluged in and the car recognizes it.

For anyone trying to figure out if their car recognizes the USB drive (to confirm which MCU you have), this video shows the icon you should see when it is pluged in and the car recognizes it.

I think you mean what AP hardware you have. MCU1 vs. MCU2 is irrelevant for Dashcam and Sentry Mode video recording.

What does matter is AP2 (currently no video recording capabilities) vs. AP2.5 (has video recording).

So, my AP2.0 MCU1 got 2019.12.1 yesterday, and now it was updated again to 2019.12.1.1.

Not joking, they added a .1 to it:)

So, I'll guess there was some errors in the last update.

To tired to get out of bed and walk out to see the release notes on this one:(

So, my AP2.0 MCU1 got 2019.12.1 yesterday, and now it was updated again to 2019.12.1.1.

Not joking, they added a .1 to it:)

So, I'll guess there was some errors in the last update.

To tired to get out of bed and walk out to see the release notes on this one:(

Looks like everyone who got 12.1 is getting 12.1.1. There must have been something seriously wrong with it.