Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.16.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
what do you mean on the headlights? is it just always on or does it never turn on? Thanks

Should have been more clear. I was referring to Auto High Beams. Head lights do turn on/off from day to night. But the auto dimming of brights when there is oncoming traffic is gone. The feature in the settings menu is there, but I never get the ‘(A)’ icon in the driver display, and it doesn’t auto dim for oncoming traffic anymore.

Just installed 2019.16.2 on a UK HW2 S.

It gives navigation on Autopilot for the first time.

Initial short drive seems OK on autopilot with no disconnects round tight-ish bends.

The one thing I have noticed is it no longer displays dual carriageways as 2 lanes so it is not possible to change lanes with the autopilot engaged. Is this a function of Navigation on Autopilot? If I turned that feature off would it once again see the road as 2 laned?

• Informative
Reactions: Compton and PrGrPa
Appears that Lane Departure Avoidance is not included for S/X in release 2019.16.2, only for the model 3. My MS has AP2.5, so that is not the issue.

Given the conflicting reports on this, and also conflicting reports on the availability of various features from people with the same hardware and same software version, I wonder if Tesla is conducting A/B tests of some sort. They roll out firmware capable of a feature, but disable that feature through configuration on certain cars, either randomly or by geographic area? This would be strange though... when would they choose to enable it in the cars where it is disabled? In a future software update that doesn't actually update the software, but just the configuration?

My 2015 Model S 85D updated to 2016.16.1.1 last week right as I was leaving for some work out of state. I got back and haven't driven the car yet but hopped in to see the updates. I noticed on the Software section of the UI, it says "Software Downloading" (or something along those lines) with a progress bar that appears to be sitting at ~1%. It's been like that for hours and hasn't moved (car is connected to wifi). I tried rebooting everything but it appears to be stuck there. I'm assuming it's trying to download 2016.16.2 but any ideas as to why it appears to be stuck? Double checked my firewall to make sure it's not blocking anything. It hasn't been an issue in the past so I don't think that's it anyways.

I just updated this morning, looking forward to trying it out.

I got Sentry mode on my 2017 AP2 car with 2019.12. With 2019.16 should I now be seeing video files recorded on the USB? Or do I have the wrong hw for that and video is only saved to the "Tesla Cloud"?

I saw some reports of corrupt video files being created on AP2 cars but to be honest I have lost track of which sw features goes with which hardware. :rolleyes:

Currently on a 500+ mile road trip. I finally approved the update today nervous it would make things worse. Its still a dumpster fire. I have 2019.16.1 on AP 2.0 and TACC doesnt hold speed and fails. Autosteer and TACC are never available over 60 mph even on clear, well marked highways. Sure I have dash animations and a sentry button but I dont care. Ive sent my car yo service and everything. What a joke. There must be no regression testing with actual cars.
My car has the same problem and it did not resolve with the 2016.16.2 update. Any solutions on your end yet? I got an email from customer service yesterday stating it’s a camera calibration issue that needs a service center visit.

Should have been more clear. I was referring to Auto High Beams. Head lights do turn on/off from day to night. But the auto dimming of brights when there is oncoming traffic is gone. The feature in the settings menu is there, but I never get the ‘(A)’ icon in the driver display, and it doesn’t auto dim for oncoming traffic anymore.

Make sure you have your high beams turned on manually as well. The "automatic high beams" are actually automatic dimming of the high beams. When you toggle the high beams on via the left stalk (lights on or off) you should see the A icon. With X or S this means leaving the stalk in the forward position to keep the high beams on. A slightly rough turn signal activation can turn high beams off. For the 3 the stalk returns to the center. Less likely to screw it up with a turn, but the software might forget the state after an update and reset.

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa and MP3Mike
It's rather hard to describe well but let me have a go:
After installing 2019.16.2, I took a drive. The first 3 mins was on a city dual carriageway and all was good. I then turned right onto the on-ramp to the motorway. The on-ramp is a 270 degree spiral with a 40kph limit. The car (2018 MS 100D with AP2.5, EAP & FSD in Switzerland) was on EAP. It slowed for the initial turn in. It did not slow anything like enough and at about 60kph, it crossed the outer white line. I took over the steering and braked hard.
In the interests of the test, as soon as autosteer was available once more (about 90 degrees into the turn), I re-enabled. It did manage to make some more of the turn but slowed to around 25kph (in a 40....!). It then crossed the outer white line. As there was enough room, I allowed it to cross to see what it would do. After crossing the white line, it put a small yellow message on the bottom of the instrument cluster that said "Autosteer limit exceeded". It then gave up completely and I grabbed the wheel.

Another incident was when cresting a hill, just 250m after the on ramp curve described above.
Here there is a mild crest in the road. The sort that would have induced the old left swerve back in the day. At the crest, there is a very slight left bend. By very slight I mean about the equivalent of a very slow lane change. With EAP engaged, I let her crest the hill. She started to steer left but only about 25% of the input that was needed and far too late. Again, she crossed the outside white line, threw the same message and then I took over.

For reference, I have been able to drive both of these curves a hundred times in the past, no bother.

Until this is resolved, I will not be using autosteer on anything but dead straight motorway. It is dangerous and it is only a matter of time before we start seeing people going to the press about why "Autopilot crashed my car". I know that his will be utter tosh as we are all responsible at all times but to have such a strong regression from one version to the next is going to catch people out, BIG TIME.
You just can't have a driver assistance system that suddenly gives up control in the middle of a manoeuvre. By the very nature of when it is triggered, this is guaranteed to cause a crash in 100% of cases that it hits the limit without immediate driver input. The wheel straightens and the car heads directly towards the armco outside the curve.

I sincerely hope that Tesla can demonstrate to the authorities that their system is far more capable than the limitation in this regulation so they can successfully acquire an exemption.
Understand - my experience has been that with new firmware it seems the car needs to be taught again - like a recalibration on AP and then it is better than before. Just got 16.2 and noticed some negative differences on a daily traveled portion of roadway today. No evidence just a theory based on my experience. Maybe a new NN?

My car has the same problem and it did not resolve with the 2016.16.2 update. Any solutions on your end yet? I got an email from customer service yesterday stating it’s a camera calibration issue that needs a service center visit.

I had the exact same issue, was resolved by replacing the radar, triple front cameras and side cameras. It happened after updating to 2019.12.1 and Ive seen others report the same thing. Not sure if the software and hardware have some incompatibility or maybe the new software is more sensitive to the inputs, but it does seem related and it was fixed after those items were replaced and re-calibrated by Testa.

Made a post about it here: What could be wrong? Both Autopilot and Cruise not working at high speed

I lost the "Lane Departure Warning", and it must have happened after 2019.16.1.1 or 2019.16.2.

The browser, however, is usable again.

On Edit: Till today, my rated miles was unchanged and at %90 Soc was still showing 238 after over 4 years of ownership and 43K miles, when others expectedly report the RM losses of few percentages. Today after charging to %90, I noticed for the first time the charging completed at 232 miles, a loss of about %2.5 since I took delivery of the car. My car's RM is recalculated after 2019.16.2.

Last edited:
No cloud no recordings but easier to engage whatever surveying and reporting functions exist for hw2 with sentry red eye icon on screen.

Automatically arming the sentry mode is cool. I guess that it's some kind of a deterrent, especially once more crooks see themselves on YouTube videos from Tesla's with AP3 hw. I have dashcam anyway.

I didn't notice any difference in AP performance. Browser works again too.

I pity the person at Tesla in charge of change control and their sw/hw matrix. This is why most car manufacturers don't do OTA updates.

I pity the person at Tesla in charge of change control and their sw/hw matrix. This is why most car manufacturers don't do OTA updates.
Yeah it is a double edged sword, OTA is great for rolling out new features but also gives the programmers an easy out if they get it wrong. Their system isn't working very well though, it needs a shake up and refocus rather than stacking more wood on the very delicate pile with each release.

I'm guessing there is no old school programmers working there from back in the days when games were burnt to ROM's (arcade machines) or recorded to floppies/cassettes and mass produced, you had to be very thorough or it cost money to fix.
I see the same insanity with modern games consoles, Gb's of updates needed everytime you play a game.

Reactions: Siggy101 and croman