Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember the saying "verify then trust" or something to that affect? Downloaded and installed new update and went for a drive. Set for auto lane change with vibration of steering wheel, chime and visual notification, speed based average, enable at start, require lane change confirmation "no". First, halfway through a green light, it slammed on the brakes? Second, during an auto lane change it pulls right in front of another car going 10 miles faster and during turn off on an exit it pulls right in front of another car exiting directly behind me. There is more, but I am going to have a drink first. A few bugs to work out and more driver training required.

Just installed this a little while ago.

All other release notes from Sentry Mode down appear to be the same as 2019.8.3 (and possibly 2019.8.4, but I didn't receive that update to confirm).

Of most interest is the new Autosteer Stop Light Warning and Navigate on Autopilot news. Specifically, the new configurations for Lane Change Notifications (see screenshot on the right).

Attachments

• 2019-8-5.png
    2019-8-5.png
    2 MB · Views: 94
Remember the saying "verify then trust" or something to that affect? Downloaded and installed new update and went for a drive. Set for auto lane change with vibration of steering wheel, chime and visual notification, speed based average, enable at start, require lane change confirmation "no". First, halfway through a green light, it slammed on the brakes? Second, during an auto lane change it pulls right in front of another car going 10 miles faster and during turn off on an exit it pulls right in front of another car exiting directly behind me. There is more, but I am going to have a drink first. A few bugs to work out and more driver training required.
The saying is “trust but verify” and I believe originally applied to nuclear arms resuction talks.
Sounds like NOA lane change should not be trusted and watched like a hawk.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
This will be very interesting! I'm expecting some intriguing YouTube videos to start popping up soon.

From my experience for NOA, the lane changing on the highway is pretty good. And when it's failed, it failed in the "good" way by not making the lane change - even though it totally could have. Usually, it will sense another car coming from the rear and stop its lane change. But if the other car doesn't get out of the way (i.e. either pass or slow way down) soon enough, then NOA aborts the change. Personally, I think it needs to not give up so easily. Maybe it has to wait 15 or 20 seconds to change lanes. So what? Wait that long if that's what it takes. So overall, highway lane changes seem pretty good.

But merging on to a highway/freeway from an onramp? Ugh. That is not a pretty sight in my experience. WAY too timid to make it practical in my experience so far.

Here it is. Beautiful! Did perfectly well on the hwy. No hesitation. Since I always set Mad Max mode lane change was . However, on local roads I still had to tap the stalk as I engage AP on local also whenever it is available.

SeeView attachment 393886 View attachment 393884 View attachment 393883 View attachment 393886

View attachment 393883 View attachment 393884 View attachment 393886 View attachment 393883 View attachment 393883 View attachment 393884
Nice. Thanks for the report. Are you AP2 or 2.5? What MCU?

The saying is “trust but verify” and I believe originally applied to nuclear arms resuction talks.
Sounds like NOA lane change should not be trusted and watched like a hawk.
Your correct on the quote by R. Reagan. Upgrade was from 2019.8.3 on a 2019 S 75D, January build. After reading the release notes, I pretty much anticipated what to expect and avoided any heavy traffic. All I can say is be careful and expect the unexpected. I am sure I pissed off at least two drivers during the test drive. Will try again tomorrow and change the parameters.