Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2019.8.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No. You are fixed to the random completely opaque update selection algorithm and timing Tesla use. Elon promised a "Check for updates" button about a year ago but that's on the "who-knows-when-if-ever" timeline.
And the thing .12 gives you is only useful if you are never on WiFi and need to know to move the car TO WiFi, from what I hear. If you are on WiFi, you get software as always.

Using a service ticket to get software seems counter productive unless you have reason to believe you are seriously behind the curve and need Tesla to verify that your car isn’t stuck somehow. IMHO.

Reactions: drklain and FMinMI
Yup, I was finally successful and was texted by the SC to put in some notes in my service request. I initially assumed that wasn’t necessary since I was only asking for the firmware update.

However shortly after I did, despite being parked in a shopping center, bang, the software was staged and I installed it when I got home.

So thanks to those that responded about this approach, it works!

Now I just have to see if they tell me the appointment was cancelled as I requested.

Yup, I was finally successful and was texted by the SC to put in some notes in my service request. I initially assumed that wasn’t necessary since I was only asking for the firmware update.

However shortly after I did, despite being parked in a shopping center, bang, the software was staged and I installed it when I got home.

So thanks to those that responded about this approach, it works!

Now I just have to see if they tell me the appointment was cancelled as I requested.

Let me put it right. So you wasted time of someone at SC creating a fake service request to skip the line? Well...

Let me put it right. So you wasted time of someone at SC creating a fake service request to skip the line? Well...
I’m not sure if you’re kidding or serious. I hope you’re kidding since it’s hard to believe someone could be this naive.

Fact: I have not gotten a firmware update in a long time.
Fact: I made a service appointment to rectify this issue.
Fact: I was absolutely prepared to go to the SC if that’s what was needed.
Fact: Making a SC appointment is not ‘skipping the line’. It’s up to the SC to determine the best way of dealing with an issue: SC visit, mobile service or pushing an update.

Now please get off your high horse. Unreal.

For the record, it's NOT a fake service request. It is an option when you book service from the mobile app. They triage all service tickets twice when you open them from the mobile app or their web service.

For hardware related issues, the Fremont team will triage first, and then normally each SC will triage the night before.

Things may be different in Europe, but this is how things are handled in the US.

For the record, it's NOT a fake service request. It is an option when you book service from the mobile app. They triage all service tickets twice when you open them from the mobile app or their web service.

For hardware related issues, the Fremont team will triage first, and then normally each SC will triage the night before.

Things may be different in Europe, but this is how things are handled in the US.

Just to say, IMO it's perfectly valid to say that you have an issue / are dissatisfied with your car right now because you're currently experiencing something that you think or know is fixed in a later software update you're not getting.

Some of us are happy being complacent passengers to how Tesla rolls out software but I don't think it's our responsibility to pretend to Tesla that those who aren't happy with it don't have a legitimate complaint there.

Hearing customers who are honestly unhappy with it is how Tesla is going to get motivated to make a change. And there's a reason why firmware/software update is a specific appointment reason.

Just to say, IMO it's perfectly valid to say that you have an issue / are dissatisfied with your car right now because you're currently experiencing something that you think or know is fixed in a later software update you're not getting.
You are spot on, every Tesla customer has heard more than once "the factory knows about this issue and it will be fixed in the next software update".
Every other product I own that can be updated I just go to their website and download the update, or the device does it itself the moment I tell it to check. I don't think people are trying to jump the mysterious queue with Tesla by annoying the service centres to be on the latest firmware 'just because', they just want the updates they were told would (or might) fix their problem.

Mobile ranger came today to fix a couple of issues and he pushed update 8.5 to my car (had 8.4). Said 8.4 had some pretty bad bugs (and that is why he set it up) but that my car couldn't get .12 yet (wouldn't explain why - just that in my cars 'profile' it was only good for him to force .5). A quick drive did show auto lane change on NoA BUT each time I heard the tone it wanted me to 'nudge' the wheel before it would do the lane change (even though I had one hand on it at the bottom of the wheel). Once that was done, it worked fine...

Mobile ranger came today to fix a couple of issues and he pushed update 8.5 to my car (had 8.4). Said 8.4 had some pretty bad bugs (and that is why he set it up) but that my car couldn't get .12 yet (wouldn't explain why - just that in my cars 'profile' it was only good for him to force .5). A quick drive did show auto lane change on NoA BUT each time I heard the tone it wanted me to 'nudge' the wheel before it would do the lane change (even though I had one hand on it at the bottom of the wheel). Once that was done, it worked fine...
I don't think just a hand on the wheel is enough. I just completed a 1800 mile road trip using NoA the great majority of the time. My brother in law and I shared the driving. He almost always got the nag while I almost never did. I applied a small amount of counter pressure, doesn't matter if it's left or right, to the bottom spoke with 1 finger. That seems to be enough to defeat the nag.

I got 2019.8.3 da116a6 on my 2016 pre-facelift 90D. I see the climate control GUI layout changed, and 'dog mode' was added. The bad news is that the web browser is now virtually unusable, as it much much slower. I use the browser mainly for the Chargepoint destination charger app. When I enter my username credentials, it took over 10 minutes for the screen to echo the input from the onscreen keyboard. I rebooted the computers but it did not change he behavior. What a shame. If I had a dog maybe it would be worth it. However, if you do have a dog and leave it in the car, be sure to put a notice in the windshield that the dog is okay, or you might lose a window if an over zealous animal lover calls the cops.

I got another update this week to 2019.8.5 3aaa23d. Now the browser issue appears to be fixed and it's working a lot better. Also the release notes are visible now.. Essentially for this AP1 vehicle it added 'Dog mode' and updated the GUI layout of the climate controls.