Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: wind noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed the neoprene tube (6mm on the driver side, 4mm on the passenger side). I doubt there will be an improvement but it's worth a shot. The noise I'm hearing is probably the gap on the window.
If you have a friend, you get into driver seat, have that friend tape up the the window edges. Drive on highway and see if that helps. If it does, seal issue.

Finally have time and space to put the 3M mat, I've not yet put the car on the road, but the speakers definitely sound better. I am happy with it, will put the material on the rest of the car.

35ae0a86-0fa7-4180-a467-36668fba4d74.jpg
94278ece-78a1-4973-9ed5-c4fbce77b4f4.jpg

Reactions: polyphonic54
Finally have time and space to put the 3M mat, I've not yet put the car on the road, but the speakers definitely sound better. I am happy with it, will put the material on the rest of the car.

View attachment 579300 View attachment 579301
I’d really love to know if and how much this sound proofing impacts in car noise. I’ve read some reports and seen some YouTube videos that indicate it can be quite noticeable, but it’s either an $$ process to have someone else do or as you probably know personally can take some significant time and effort. Just out of curiously for other though, do people think that TSLA didn’t do this type of thing for cost savings or manufacturing process time optimization?

Reactions: mblakele
I’d really love to know if and how much this sound proofing impacts in car noise. I’ve read some reports and seen some YouTube videos that indicate it can be quite noticeable, but it’s either an $$ process to have someone else do or as you probably know personally can take some significant time and effort. Just out of curiously for other though, do people think that TSLA didn’t do this type of thing for cost savings or manufacturing process time optimization?
They didn't do it, because weight+cost was not worth the return. I'm sure over time they will become better with insulation, but to get actual noticable return on trapping sound and removing resonance you would need to add like +10% of car weight and +20% of cost. Just to start. For most people it's a waste, for others there are aftermarket shops who can make your car heavy and your wallet light. But at that point, why not to buy Model S?

The improvement of putting sound deadening materials has been saying with marginally to almost no improvement, as the road noise is coming mainly from the suspension, chassis and windows. From this morning 12km drive to the SC station, obviously the sound cannot penetrate the doors anymore, the tire / wind noise is now coming in from above my shoulders and from the dash. Anyway, I definitely killed the small rattling inside the doors when the bass turns up, which I am happy with it.

I have done sound deadening on my other cars by myself, so this is an easy job for me. The 3M materials are 3-4 times more expensive than the cheap Chinese mats, just to avoid getting blood cancer from drive (Audi in China was sued by owners from having toxic sound deadening materials, which result a lot of them got cancers).

Reactions: XLR82XS
All,

I have wanted to post this earlier, but couldn't find the time...

Some background: I have done all of the suggested mods for decreasing the A Pillar to windshield wind noise and all of them have helped to varying degrees to make the ambient noise in the car much more tolerable. As I had still some noise that I thought could be mitigated, I looked at the area where Robb suggested at the mirror level since a lot of this wind noise appeared to be projected to the A pillar. That said, as others have noted, plugging the chrome window trim does a good bit in reducing that airflow through the chamber, but if you think about how that region is put together, it seems likely that the gaps there are very similar to the mirror issue - a channel for airflow to create noise and project to the cabin or further up the window.

In the end, I used Sugru to block the gap from the leading edge of the chrome window trim with the mirror construct - This has reduced what little wind noise (buffeting sound) was left to almost imperceivable. Now, I still get wind noise above say 85, but the majority of commutes between 70-80 are much more pleasant.

zXJdhwd.jpg

Best

I apologize if this has been covered a dozen times over, but in case it helps someone like myself I want to share this info. I had a strange wind noise coming from around my A-pillars/side mirrors that was a buffeting sound similar to loose trim- kind of like if you had a couple small birds tethered to the outside of the car and at speed their tiny wings would beat against the pillar.

I didn't notice it until summer weather, when warm it was significantly worse. Usually started around 55, and would be exacerbated depending on wind direction or however foul my mood was. It was bad enough I that we would take my wife's car on trips requiring any lengthy freeway distance. I probably used an entire roll of painters tape trying to discover where the issue was originating.

Tesla insisted the car was in-spec, and more than once stated they could hear nothing. I thought I may have to sell the car, I like driving above 50 mph. Finally this last trip to the dealer someone figured it out. An inch of thin black foam behind each tire between the wheel well cover and the fender has solved this wind noise. Maybe they added more than that, but from what I can see that's all they appeared to do. I would have sworn the issue was located closer to the A-pillar. I'm in love with my car again, and ready for a long trip.

I apologize if this has been covered a dozen times over, but in case it helps someone like myself I want to share this info. I had a strange wind noise coming from around my A-pillars/side mirrors that was a buffeting sound similar to loose trim- kind of like if you had a couple small birds tethered to the outside of the car and at speed their tiny wings would beat against the pillar.

I didn't notice it until summer weather, when warm it was significantly worse. Usually started around 55, and would be exacerbated depending on wind direction or however foul my mood was. It was bad enough I that we would take my wife's car on trips requiring any lengthy freeway distance. I probably used an entire roll of painters tape trying to discover where the issue was originating.

Tesla insisted the car was in-spec, and more than once stated they could hear nothing. I thought I may have to sell the car, I like driving above 50 mph. Finally this last trip to the dealer someone figured it out. An inch of thin black foam behind each tire between the wheel well cover and the fender has solved this wind noise. Maybe they added more than that, but from what I can see that's all they appeared to do. I would have sworn the issue was located closer to the A-pillar. I'm in love with my car again, and ready for a long trip.
Is this the issue with the wheel well that makes contact with the fender near the outer edge of the tire? I can’t tell from your explanation if it’s the same thing many have described, any pics?

I’ve pushed on my wheel well liners and they don’t seem to have any play against the fender but I haven’t been able to take the tire or wheel well liner off to investigate further

@Timo,

Yes....photos would be beneficial please!

Ski

Reactions: polyphonic54
@Timo,

Yes....photos would be beneficial please!

Ski

Here are some quick photos. This was done by the dealer in about 15 minutes, so I doubt any other measures were taken beyond adding the 2 pieces of foam to the driver and passenger wells. With Minnesota ice, snow, etc, I don't know how long these will hold out, but it seems easy enough to add new pieces if needed.

I know this fix has been covered before because it rang a bell- the crazy part for me was that I was SURE the sound was coming from around the side mirrors. I was shocked that the solution to this issue was fixed by this. I took delivery of this car December 2018, so maybe this is primarily an issue on earlier 3s.

thumbnail_IMG_3445.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_3446.jpg

Oh I just thought it was a Tesla design facepalm. The car is riddled with wind noise, even after I went wild with the Sugru.
Your post is helpful!

Ah, I thought maybe this had been beaten into the ground 1,000 times over. I try to avoid spending too much time here, because every time I read about a problem, my car mysteriously develops it.