Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some exciting observations about the new Model S60 (software limited 75 kWh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The charging times show they definitely are limiting the 75 kWh battery pack in the s60 at the top end so that you do not see a taper in the charge rate. I think the only open question is whether all of the 20% that s60 owners are prevented from using is at the top. While simply limiting the battery to 80% state of charge would be the simplest (and probably most likely) mechanism to achieve this, it could be they are limiting something like the top 15% of the charge range and the bottom 5%. By placing some of the limitation at the bottom end, they would protect the pack from over discharge. Given that a fair number of the s60's will be lease vehicles and Tesla can "unlock" these packs when they (re)sell them after the lease ends, Tesla does have some incentive to put some of the buffer at the bottom end of the range to help protect the packs.

• Informative
Reactions: enzo and hybridbear
Actual charging power 175a x 348v = 60.9 wh
Thanks for the detailed posts.

FYI -- amps*volts = watts.
So e.g.,
175a*348v = 60,900 watts = 60.9 kW

It terms of watching the battery charge rate as the battery fills up, it is simpler to use the miles/hour number Tesla supplies on your screen. As you point out the rate (of about 200 miles/hour) is pretty constant.

I'm getting mix information from another thread. The software capped S40 with 60 kWh battery are getting less mileage over time.
I'm wondering how does Tesla software calculate battery degradation on the new S60 with 75 kWh battery.

Not sure I fully understand your comment, but the fact that owners of software limited batteries are seeing some (presumably normal) levels of degradation is not necessarily surprising. If Tesla is limiting the state of charge (SOC) of the battery to 80%, as the battery experiences its normal degradation (which will happen to a certain extent even if the battery is never charged above 80% SOC), the range at 80% SOC will see some reduction too.

I haven't thoroughly read the S40 with 60 kWh battery related threads, but the few I have seen the owner seem satisfied with the battery performance. Are some owners seeing significant degradation issues with their software limited S40s?

Reactions: MP3Mike
Not sure I fully understand your comment, but the fact that owners of software limited batteries are seeing some (presumably normal) levels of degradation is not necessarily surprising. If Tesla is limiting the state of charge (SOC) of the battery to 80%, as the battery experiences its normal degradation (which will happen to a certain extent even if the battery is never charged above 80% SOC), the range at 80% SOC will see some reduction too.

I haven't thoroughly read the S40 with 60 kWh battery related threads, but the few I have seen the owner seem satisfied with the battery performance. Are some owners seeing significant degradation issues with their software limited S40s?

I'm sure it's just limited to a fixed % of the 75kwh battery so would show proportional degradation. That's how the 40's worked.

I have an appointment to test drive an S tomorrow. This thread was very helpful, thank you everyone. I'm going to order the 60 based on the information here, I don't see the benefit in paying for the 75.

Enjoy the test drive!! Definitely sold me that the entry level battery was still an amazing car!! And don't forget to make use of a TMC member's referral code if you choose to order one between now and Oct 15th. Will save you $1000 USD off the price.

• Love
Reactions: Joostdz
Mine said to definitely not do it to 100% on pickup yesterday and stay in the happy zone of 50-90%.

I am scared to go to 100% everyday!!! I really don't need to but 210 miles looks prettier than 189.

If you're interested in "looking pretty"... then just change from "Rated Range" to "Ideal Range" in controls -> settings. If you have an S60 it will "add" about 50 miles of "range" displayed on a 90% charge.

The pretty part was sarcastic but you piqued my interest. What's the difference between ideal and rated?

Copied from another thread:

Ideal - how far the car will go if driven at a steady 55 mph on level ground at moderate temperatures.

Rated - how far the EPA says the car will go given their tests. Equals 88% of Ideal. Just a slightly more conservative version of Ideal.

• Informative
Reactions: fallen888
I have had my new 60D for five weeks. Three Supercharger visits and every time no appreciable reduction of charge rate as it reaches 100%. I have also asked two separate employees and "unofficially" they both confirm that the assumption that charging the software limited 60 to 100% is the same as charging the 75 to 80%, thus no harm.
Same here. Pretty quick all the way to 100%. The DS on pick-up agreed 100% will not do any damage but Tesla "official" stance is 90%. Whether it's to avoid confusion or just a way to encourage 75 kwh purchases is unknown. My guess is sales. Certainly not worth $8500 for an extra 8-15 miles doing the 90%-90% math

Same here. Pretty quick all the way to 100%. The DS on pick-up agreed 100% will not do any damage but Tesla "official" stance is 90%. Whether it's to avoid confusion or just a way to encourage 75 kwh purchases is unknown. My guess is sales. Certainly not worth $8500 for an extra 8-15 miles doing the 90%-90% math

I guess with all the feedback here I will go 100%!

Not sure I need to but may try for a while.

Here is my charging speed at my local Supercharger on my 60D:

IMG_2302.JPG

As I hit 100% I was still pulling 60 kw from the Supercharger.