Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call that my config (black/white int/19"/FSD) won't be ready for my scheduled delivery on Mar 30th. I could get a different colour and they would eat the cost of the paint upgrade but to keep the white interior, I lose the 19" wheels on anything they can give me this weekend. Or I can take the 19" wheels and get black interior. I'm sticking with white interior so now the question is whether I can live with the aero wheels. I guess I could always use the aeros with winter tires and get a summer set of something else. Any advice?

Just got a call that my config (black/white int/19"/FSD) won't be ready for my scheduled delivery on Mar 30th. I could get a different colour and they would eat the cost of the paint upgrade but to keep the white interior, I lose the 19" wheels on anything they can give me this weekend. Or I can take the 19" wheels and get black interior. I'm sticking with white interior so now the question is whether I can live with the aero wheels. I guess I could always use the aeros with winter tires and get a summer set of something else. Any advice?

Go with red and you are $1k ahead even with the wheel upgrade removed and you can always use the 18s for the set of winter tires as you mentioned. Just out of curiosity, have they tried to upsell a MR or LR?

Last edited:
Go with red and you are $1k ahead even with the wheel upgrade removed and you can always you the 18s for the set of winter tires as you mentioned. Just out of curiosity, have they tried to upsell a MR or LR?
Thanks for the advice! They didn't mention the MR or LR. I think they're just trying to get as many deliveries in as possible before month end and maybe those won't get to me in time? I'm in Canada so inventory and transport are probably more of an issue here than in the US.

Just got a call from my DA--my car is at the store and ready to go. Delivery was scheduled for Saturday but she asked if I wanted to get it earlier. In a stroke of wonderful coincidence, I have this week off of work, so now I'm picking it up tomorrow at 1:30! Now I just need to find a ride (I see Uber in my future, everyone I know is going to be at work) and get a USB ready to go music/TeslaCam.

Personally I'd have loved to hear that, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I say go for the color upgrade if you have any desire for it at all. Every time I see a red model 3 it hurts a little bit that I went with black. If you're planning on getting a second set of tires anyway, it doesn't sound like you'll be missing too much unless you really hate the aeros.

Just got a call from my DA--my car is at the store and ready to go. Delivery was scheduled for Saturday but she asked if I wanted to get it earlier. In a stroke of wonderful coincidence, I have this week off of work, so now I'm picking it up tomorrow at 1:30! Now I just need to find a ride (I see Uber in my future, everyone I know is going to be at work) and get a USB ready to go music/TeslaCam.

Personally I'd have loved to hear that, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I say go for the color upgrade if you have any desire for it at all. Every time I see a red model 3 it hurts a little bit that I went with black. If you're planning on getting a second set of tires anyway, it doesn't sound like you'll be missing too much unless you really hate the aeros.
Thanks for the feedback! My current car is red and I love it...but the red one they can give by the weekend has a black interior and I really want the white interior. I know, I know, first world problems. At the end of the day, I can change the wheels easily but the paint and interior won't change. I just really don't like the aeros...sorry, if that's what you have. I just like the classic look of the silver 19s.

Thanks for the feedback! My current car is red and I love it...but the red one they can give by the weekend has a black interior and I really want the white interior. I know, I know, first world problems. At the end of the day, I can change the wheels easily but the paint and interior won't change. I just really don't like the aeros...sorry, if that's what you have. I just like the classic look of the silver 19s.
Ah, that's a bummer about the red. That was pretty much my dilemma, I could either order black with white interior or red with black interior--just couldn't justify paying the extra for both. I really wanted white interior and figured I could get the car wrapped in red later if the black is intolerable (I also drive a red car right now and love it). Going with aeros was a lot easier for me, I don't love them but I don't hate them either. But I definitely understand why some people don't like them. They're pretty funky.

If it were me, I'd take whatever color they could get you with a white interior and just replace the aeros with a nice summer set. But black is also my least favorite car color. Only you know how much the paint upgrade is worth to you versus the time and expense of the wheels.

Reactions: nxYEG
There are more physical differences than that. Door panels have fabric inserts instead of alcantara. The center console is much simpler. The dash wood is replaced with a simple black strip. The heating elements in the seats and associated wiring are not there.

Non-power seats is a significant cost difference. That's a lot of electric motors and internal hardware.
The dash is wood veneer in the higher trim versions. You can buy more than enough veneer for $10 on Amazon, as a private person. The alcantara is a bit more expensive, but also probably less than $100. The center console is mostly plastic, so another $5, or so. The seats are probably the most expensive part, but let's be generous and say $500 for both. Another $750 for the extra batteries and we are still at a good 50% margin on the options.

I keep hoping they will offer me an upgrade, my delivery has been delayed twice, now they are saying Saturday...

I asked at the Montreal showroom and they said they have much more demand then supply and have not offered anything to anyone. Not sure if that’s true.

Reactions: nxYEG
Ordered my SR+ on 3/14, got a VIN 4 days later. I was contacted yesterday afternoon (3/22), by someone from Las Vegas, saying my car was ready for delivery. All this sounds like great news but...

After I received the call & email from Las Vegas, I called back, and got no answer. I replied via email, and referred him to the Tesla representative in metro Atlanta (425 miles away, in a state with no Tesla presence). The gentleman from Atlanta who initially contacted me, gave me a different scenario on how things would go down. Something about FedEx'ed paperwork before the car would be delivered. I'm also assuming that neither work on Saturday, for I've gotten no reply from my email. Color me confused.

Hoping for resolution on Monday... Hopefully get the car this week!
Update: received a phone call from ANOTHER person in Las Vegas (By far the most accommodating, yet!) Monday. Car was in Atlanta area center, and setup home delivery for Thursday morning (425 miles away). Had check FedExed, from Credit Union, and received by Delivery Center in Atlanta on Tuesday morning.

6:00 this evening, the day my car is set to arrive here, and I check my Tesla account page. The delivery schedule was changed to five days later. No phone call. No Email. Nothing.

I called the accommodating person in Las Vegas,who I assume is in sales, immediately. She looked on the computer, noticed the change in time, and had no explanation for it. She said she couldn't imagine why there was a change. She attempted to message my Delivery Advisor (Wait... I HAVE a delivery Advisor? Who is this person?), or anyone else at the Atlanta center, to no avail. Now... I know it was 4:30 Las Vegas Time, 6:30 my time, and 7:30 Atlanta time. So, they had probably left for the day.

She also told me she was able to pull up the calendar they use, and was able to change it back to the original time of tomorrow morning at 10:00. I asked this Las Vegas representative if there still a way they will get a car to me, 425 miles away, after reverting the calendar at this time? She assured me that yes.

My pessimism is increasing, as well as my disappointment in this process. The updates will continue, until the car is received, and the smile returns for the anticipated product.

FWIW, you can pop the aero covers off very easily to make them look more 'normal.' Bonus is you then have some nice Tesla gear to hang on your garage wall.

And you can pop the covers back on for a range boost on road trips. I've had my car for almost a year so take my advice with a grain of salt, but were I in your shoes I'd take the free paint and call it a win.

Reactions: nxYEG and kjyam98
The dash is wood veneer in the higher trim versions. You can buy more than enough veneer for $10 on Amazon, as a private person. The alcantara is a bit more expensive, but also probably less than $100. The center console is mostly plastic, so another $5, or so. The seats are probably the most expensive part, but let's be generous and say $500 for both. Another $750 for the extra batteries and we are still at a good 50% margin on the options.

You are really reaching with these costs. I highly doubt the difference in cost between the center console and the SR version with the big hole in it is $5. It isn't just materials that contribute to costs.

I am curious to know when your SR+ was built , ie what month for anyone who had a deliver in the past week or so.

I have my VIN but wonder how long ago it was built

Thanks

My Monroney lists 03/2019 for build. Ordered March 15, delivered March 26 (Canada). Have you put your vin into the teslatap vin decoder to see the year of build? The 10th spot in your vin is the year: J=2018, K=2019

Do I read it well? Just checked M3 configuration page for USA and it says the price before savings and incentives is 38,000USD! Is this a mistake or there was another price increase? I thought that Tesla confirmed the base price for SR M3 stays at 35,000USD

Attachments

• 1454B04D-EA8C-4269-896E-B2E629505C2B.jpeg
    1454B04D-EA8C-4269-896E-B2E629505C2B.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 108
Do I read it well? Just checked M3 configuration page for USA and it says the price before savings and incentives is 38,000USD! Is this a mistake or there was another price increase? I thought that Tesla confirmed the base price for SR M3 stays at 35,000USD
I just looked on the website, and it said $35,000 for the SR, when I did a configuration. Hopefully, this changes back for you... ;-)