Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SR/SR+ (Model 3 RWD) Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people are saying it might qualify for half the tax credit because there are two requirements

1) where the battery is made
2) where the battery materials come come

My research makes me think it won’t qualify in the current state but no one knows for sure. Tesla could also change their manufacturing.

Reactions: IndyGopher
Some people are saying it might qualify for half the tax credit because there are two requirements

My research makes me think it won’t qualify in the current state but no one knows for sure. Tesla could also change their manufacturing.
Based on Research, new SR Models with LFP battery is made in US. I am not sure if I can delay my Delivery by 30 days or not? Whatever the case, I don't mind having the car for 30 days since I already have a second one.

Does anyone know, if we are allowed to delay the order? Initially, it was showing me the Delivery date as Jan 11th but later it was updated to Dec 25. :(

In 2023 you can get half credit ($3750) if the battery pack is assembled in the US and half of the battery value is made in the US. The Chinese LPF battery cell is assembled in the US so there’s a chance that the final assembly cost in the US is over 50% of the total battery value. It’s pretty unlikely to qualify for the full $7500 tax credit.

The kicker is that if Model 3 RWD qualifies then Elon can raise the price by the same amount because the demand is high. I’m planning to order in November to hopefully get delivered in 2023. If I get lucky it‘ll qualify for the tax credit, if not then I know I didn’t leave any free money on the table.

Took delivery on September 7th at Chicago location. Performed inspection of the car and found that something was stuck in the rear-right USB C port and that some of the headliner wasn't flush. Also, the day after i took it home I discovered some scratches on the trunk that I did not notice at pickup.

Scheduled mobile service appointment for the following week and they were able to repair the USB C port. They said all but one of the headliner pieces was "within spec" but would address one of the pieces that was a bit dirty at a future service appointment. Initially, they thought the scratches on the trunk were too deep and that they would have to repaint the trunk but they later called me and were able to buff them out. I wasn't thrilled to have issues right at delivery, but the service people were great and now I get to enjoy the car!

Loving the car so far, it was worth the wait!

M3RWD / Black / Black / Aero / No FSD / OD: 4/15/2022/ VIN assigned 8/26/2022 / EDD: 9/8/2022-9/12/2022 / Delivery 9/7/2022

Reactions: Bricktopshog
Took delivery on September 7th at Chicago location. Performed inspection of the car and found that something was stuck in the rear-right USB C port and that some of the headliner wasn't flush. Also, the day after i took it home I discovered some scratches on the trunk that I did not notice at pickup.

Scheduled mobile service appointment for the following week and they were able to repair the USB C port. They said all but one of the headliner pieces was "within spec" but would address one of the pieces that was a bit dirty at a future service appointment. Initially, they thought the scratches on the trunk were too deep and that they would have to repaint the trunk but they later called me and were able to buff them out. I wasn't thrilled to have issues right at delivery, but the service people were great and now I get to enjoy the car!

Loving the car so far, it was worth the wait!

M3RWD / Black / Black / Aero / No FSD / OD: 4/15/2022/ VIN assigned 8/26/2022 / EDD: 9/8/2022-9/12/2022 / Delivery 9/7/2022
Congratulations !! drive safe

Reactions: Swaggy
In 2023 you can get half credit ($3750) if the battery pack is assembled in the US and half of the battery value is made in the US. The Chinese LPF battery cell is assembled in the US so there’s a chance that the final assembly cost in the US is over 50% of the total battery value. It’s pretty unlikely to qualify for the full $7500 tax credit.

The kicker is that if Model 3 RWD qualifies then Elon can raise the price by the same amount because the demand is high. I’m planning to order in November to hopefully get delivered in 2023. If I get lucky it‘ll qualify for the tax credit, if not then I know I didn’t leave any free money on the table.
Chances are high that price may go up. somehow i feel RWD may not be qualified for tax credit. It's a black box and things are not clearly articulated as part of the program.

I agree with your assessment. I asked a Tesla rep and of course they gave me a stock answer.. 'have to wait until the rules are published' I think the cells, which are made in China won't qualify because I'm pretty sure 50% of the critical minerals are not coming from free trade countries. And the battery pack itself I believe is built in China and shipped as an assembly. It makes sense because the China factory began with the LFP battery before it was offered in the US. Tesla would have to pivot pretty hard and fast to change that in a few months. And in 2024 any part of the battery is made in China they won't qualify. They could go back to offering the RWD with Nevada made NCA batteries but you lose the benefits of the LFP cells. Maybe that is their plan but more realistic for 2024 model year I'm guessing. I thought about delaying but the excitement and getting out from under my trade it got the best of me.