Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standard AutoPilot needs to switch lanes

Do you think they will add this back into the standard AP?

• Yes

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 132 60.8%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 16 7.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

*only above 50 mph
*only if nothing is in the way otherwise it gives up rather than waiting for an opening
*only if you don't mind waiting a while for it to happen (which granted Tesla only fixed recently)
*only if you don't mind it only ever being "automatic" after manual initiation via the stalk
*only if you don't mind needing to turn the signal off when the change is done

But otherwise, yeah, mercedes!

Also it costs $2250 extra and you also need this to get anything close to TACCs ability to handle stop and go traffic- though if you're stopped more than 30 seconds you have to resume with the go pedal yourself

Last edited:
Tesla really missed the mark on its standard autosteer implementation. I don't care about or want auto lane change, I really prefer to do it myself. I just don't want it to completely disengage when I make a simple lane change (using signals). My wife's MDX allows for the driver to change lanes without disengaging LKAS/LCS (using signal), it takes back control once you completed your lane change - virtually all other LKAS systems I've used works this way.

*only above 50 mph
*only if nothing is in the way otherwise it gives up rather than waiting for an opening
*only if you don't mind waiting a while for it to happen (which granted Tesla only fixed recently)
*only if you don't mind it only ever being "automatic" after manual initiation via the stalk
*only if you don't mind needing to turn the signal off when the change is done

But otherwise, yeah, mercedes!

Also it costs $2250 extra and you also need this to get anything close to TACCs ability to handle stop and go traffic- though if you're stopped more than 30 seconds you have to resume with the go pedal yourself

Besides the first point it's how the regulations work in EU. Also for tesla

I couldn't agree more with this thread, AP is worthless without the ability to change lanes. I barely use AP because of the constant disengage/engage. I have been noticing that Tesla's website is very inconsistent about Change Lanes info, sometimes listed with Self Driving and sometimes not. I can only hope this means change is on the way.

I couldn't agree more with this thread, AP is worthless without the ability to change lanes. I barely use AP because of the constant disengage/engage. I have been noticing that Tesla's website is very inconsistent about Change Lanes info, sometimes listed with Self Driving and sometimes not. I can only hope this means change is on the way.

AFAIK it has always been listed with FSD since they made the change from EAP/FSD to AP/FSD circia Feb/March 2019.

Just as it was only listed under EAP prior to that.

Haven't tried it lately, have you?

I'm starting to count on it 100%, with the appropriate verify, but it checks all of the blinds spots and with the latest update is pretty great!

AFAIK it has always been listed with FSD since they made the change from EAP/FSD to AP/FSD circia Feb/March 2019.

Just as it was only listed under EAP prior to that.

I hear ya, but here is what I find odd. When I go to Upgrades under my account, Lane Change is no longer listed for Full Self-Driving, this is what I mean by inconsistent across the site.
Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.33.59 AM.png

Tesla really missed the mark on its standard autosteer implementation. I don't care about or want auto lane change, I really prefer to do it myself. I just don't want it to completely disengage when I make a simple lane change (using signals). My wife's MDX allows for the driver to change lanes without disengaging LKAS/LCS (using signal), it takes back control once you completed your lane change - virtually all other LKAS systems I've used works this way.

I suggest something similar to this way back in April with the thread first started. But, I don't think I really thought it through.

The Tesla AP system isn't an assistive system like LKAS systems that are much more tuned to simply doing corrections versus the full on lane steering system that Tesla implemented.

So it really comes down to one of two options

Option A - Either add automatic lane changes to standard AP or charge some reasonable amount for it like $500. Tesla already sells acceleration boost so why not a AP boost? I still believe Tesla needs to keep as much functionality exclusive to FSD as they can to get people to buy that package. But, I think there is enough stuff pending for FSD that auto lane changes doesn't have to be in there anymore.

Option B - Simply have a timed off duration for AP. Where at soon as you indicate the lane change the AP turns off, and doesn't turn on again X number of seconds after AP has detected you crossed on lane of traffic. It should be implemented to encourage correct lane changes.

Option B would be implemented as an option for all AP/FSD vehicles since not everyone wants auto-lane changes. For AP only vehicles it would simply be the default option.

For me personally I'd prefer option A as I really like the auto-lane changes. To be honest it's the only thing AP/FSD does well at. I think it's also safer as it gives the driver more opportunity to check.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I have a 2020 Model 3 LR. I also own a 2020 Subaru Outback. The Outback has a steering wheel button to press to engage auto steering. If you signal a lane change the auto steering is concurrently disengaged and the steering wheel icon is grayed out in the instrument panel. once the lane change is complete, the auto steering re-engages on its own so no need to manually do this. If Tesla could implement this logic it would be far superior to the current lane change experience with AP which requires manual disengage/re-engage of the autopilot. I am happy doing lane changes on my own but don't want to have to manually reset autopilot each time a change occurs. The question is whether Tesla is keeping this logic out of AP in order to boost sales of FSD.

How many other cars have adaptive cruise control (TACC) and lane guidance (AP)? Lots.
How many cars change lanes? None?

Tesla only rights-sized TACC to meet the comparable features on other similar cars. My 2018 Leaf has the same features.
The one thing that Tesla probably should do, as the Leaf does is to temporarily disable AP when the turn signal is on.

Mercedes and BMW offer auto lane change in the US. And Nissan and Hyundai offer auto lane change in countries outside the US.
And GM and FCA plan to offer auto lane change in US later this year.

I am not disagreeing with your post, but just giving you the heads up about those.