Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting(5 mo) for replacement battery pack....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In May 2017, my battery pack refused to accept a charge. Tesla installed a loaner pack.

My rep at Tesla, today, still does not have an ETA. Should I be concerned.?

The replacment pack is a 90kw max power pack instead of my original 120kw pack(P85, 2014). I am planning a trip from Ottawa to Hilton Head in December and it would just be that much more annoying to wait an additional 5-10 min for each stop.

We've been driving around on a loaner pack since January and have put on close to 20K miles / 32K km since then, with no replacement ETA. Tesla has a more than full plate, and I'm guessing that refurbishing old battery packs is a relatively low priority right now. As we have no plans to sell our Model S, it doesn't really matter to us, and I agree with brkaus!

Sorry to hear that your loaner pack is an 'A' pack that only accepts 90 kW at Superchargers. On the other hand, our loaner pack accepts 120 kW and our original 'A' pack only supported 90 kW. In practice, it hasn't made much difference since we don't always get the full charge rate anyway. The loaner pack, being newer, has about six more miles of rated range, but that's really minor.

I would not worry.

I had a very similar experience. They called me up and said my pack needed service. Swapped out for a loaner pack that topped out at 257 rated miles as opposed to 265+ for my repaired pack. I drove around for 6 months on the loaner and in fact was on a road trip when they informed me that my pack was ready. So it took me a couple of weeks to go pick up my original.

If the lower charge rate is a major inconvenience, you might inquire with your service person if they have a different loaner pack available.
I was fine with a slightly lower rated range.

I've been waiting since June. They were all out of loaner packs so I'm waiting for my entire car. They lend me whatever they have in inventory and call me for a trade when it's sold and they need it back. I'm on my third loaner now, it's a bit of a hassle to swap but I don't mind too much considering all the mileage I'm putting on their cars. The bad pack on my car is still in my car at the service center. They tell me I will likely get a new 85kWh pack so you just might get the same. They should arrive sometime in October according to the service center.

Haha yeah, our 2012 has had a loaner pack for a long time now. I don't really care when they swap it out ... I figure I can drive around on that pack for years if they want, but if it fails out of warranty, well, I'll just politely inquire as to where my replacement pack is at that time.

At least you guys have a loaner pack. My S 85 battery just died this week. They have no idea at my local SC when they might be able to get a loaner pack in.
I am sorry to hear that. Did they offer you a loaner car instead?

I wonder how they prioritize selling a new car vs making sure that enough spare parts are available so that existing customers can keep using their cars reliably, at least while the cars are in their warranty period.

Don't worry, I had a loaner battery pack on my Tesla while they fix battery pack seal issue. It took a lot longer than they estimated repair time, when I get the battery back, I got few more rated miles, it's been over a year now.

I wonder how many 'loaner' packs they have for these situations. I also wonder if there is an upward trend on pack failures and what it may be.

Let's see, so far I've the following work done:

All new door handles
A completely new computer block (screen and all)
A new drive train
A refurbished battery pack

Not much left to go wrong now. Ahhh, early adopters...gotta love the feeling. I suppose one good thing is that after 4.5 years I've only lost about 3% capacity on the battery pack...mind you, I didn't have that pack for 9 months while it was being refurbished.

Reactions: apacheguy