Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Still waiting for price cut on AP/FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new Model S this past July, and did not opt in for EAP at the time. Then I did the trial right after that, but still didn't pull the trigger, as I couldn't get myself to spend the extra $500 so soon after the original purchase, though it did make me wish that I had bought it originally.

So with the announced price cut, I'm thinking that I'll finally pull the trigger. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is anyone seeing the price cut yet? My account still shows $4K/$11K for AP/FSD. I know that Elon tweeted that it would take a few days for the systems to be updated.

2) For those that have EAP, is it possible to temporarily enable 'dumb' cruise control, if you decide for some reason that you want complete control over acceleration and braking?

1)I see drop for FSD from $5000 to $3000 as a EAP owner but it should be $2000 according to what I read in the blog post. Definitely yours should be reduced too. If you are ready I'd call and buy on the phone.

2) Yes there's a way after AP (both speed and steering wheel are blue) is engaged you can just disable the autosteer by pushing down once the AP stalk then only the left blue speed sign will stay blue.

Or it happens by pulling once it if I remember correctly. (pulling twice engages EAP) I accidentally get in that mode a lot.

Last edited:
I got my new Model S this past July, and did not opt in for EAP at the time. Then I did the trial right after that, but still didn't pull the trigger, as I couldn't get myself to spend the extra $500 so soon after the original purchase, though it did make me wish that I had bought it originally.

So with the announced price cut, I'm thinking that I'll finally pull the trigger. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is anyone seeing the price cut yet? My account still shows $4K/$11K for AP/FSD. I know that Elon tweeted that it would take a few days for the systems to be updated.

2) For those that have EAP, is it possible to temporarily enable 'dumb' cruise control, if you decide for some reason that you want complete control over acceleration and braking?

My account is showing the same as yours... give them a few days to update the website, the web developers probably heard about this the same time as us.

If you place an order today for a new S the choice is AP $3,000 and $4,000 if purchased after delivery. There is no EAP option. FSD is $6,000 and $7,000 if purchased after delivery.
I'd be surprised if they offer it for cars that don't currently have EAP for less than what you'd pay with a new car.

If you place an order today for a new S the choice is AP $3,000 and $4,000 if purchased after delivery. There is no EAP option. FSD is $6,000 and $7,000 if purchased after delivery.
I'd be surprised if they offer it for cars that don't currently have EAP for less than what you'd pay with a new car.

Attachments

• 5C7AE3F4-1D2B-4E63-8DB5-22A4A7A9C668.jpeg
    5C7AE3F4-1D2B-4E63-8DB5-22A4A7A9C668.jpeg
    888.7 KB · Views: 81
2) Yes there's a way after AP (both speed and steering wheel are blue) is engaged you can just disable the autosteer by pushing down once the AP stalk then only the left blue speed sign will stay blue.

That is still “traffic aware” cruise control. I think he was asking about the old style “dumb” cruise control where it just kept your speed constant but didn’t slow if there was slower traffic ahead.

I went through a lot of wet slushy snow, the front of the bumper was eventually covered with 1/2” or so of frozen slush. I lost the radar, I think there was frozen slush under the front bumper. Anyway I lost the TACC with a message about poor radar visibility. I cleared the bumper but it didn’t help. It would have been nice to be able to use a non traffic aware old style dumb cruise control to control speed. As far as I know, that’s not available if you have TACC. I can’t speak to what’s available if one doesn’t have the EAP package. Anyway dumb cruise control would have been so nice. I did get it back a day and a half later but it took a reboot to clear the radar message first.

Wonder how long it'll stay $2,000?

If or when they actually have FSD deployed whats the price going to be than?

I am hoping that this new configuration of basic AP and FSD will last awhile. It makes sense to me. I think Tesla will probably keep basic AP the way it is now. However, Tesla could eventually make AP standard completely. I would venture a guess that the price drop for FSD is because A) Tesla wants as many FSD enabled cars as possible in order to accelerate validation and B) FSD features are limited for current EAP since we already have NOA, Auto Park and Summon. So giving EAP owners a discounted price makes sense. But as Tesla adds more FSD features, the price of FSD could jump up again for future customers. I think when FSD does become almost L4 or even becomes L4, maybe with a hypothetical AP4 upgrade, I could see the price definitely increasing. After all, let's be realistic: as hardware advances, it is inevitable that at some point, Tesla will move to a HW4 suite on future cars. At that point, I could see Tesla wanting to charge a higher price for FSD to pay for the new hardware.

On my M3 with EAP, FSD is now shown as $2000 (It was $3000 yesterday)
On my MX with EAP, FSD is still at $3000

I’m seeing the same thing on my M3 and MX. MX with EAP didnt get the drop in FSD addon price, but my M3 did. Does your Model X have MCU 1 or the new MCU 2? I have heard FSD will require the HW3 computer upgrade, and that HW3 also requires a new MCU 2 to work. So maybe Tesla isn’t offering the upgrade for FSD at the lower 2k price for older MCU 1 cars.