Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, teslafi lost connectivity to my car 3 days. Teslafi says that every request is timing out. The app still works perfectly though so perhaps it's some change on Tesla's side that locked out Teslafi with my v8 but not the app. Strange.
I lost connectivity to TeslaFi to the Model S on August 5th and to my app at the same time. I called Tesla support which they supposedly reset the connectivity but it didn't work. I am still able to connect to my Model 3 through the app so that isn't the issue. Mileage last shown matches what TeslaFi last knows about troubled car. Car is still able to stream music through LTE so connectivity isn't an issue.

So now I have resorted to getting a bunch of fitment issues on the Model 3 resolved through Mobile Service for the following Friday just so I can have the technician look at the Model S at the same time since I was unable the last time to schedule Mobile Service with the Model S the last time. Not sure if it was because car is out of warranty or the category I chose when describing problem.

Everyone knows (or at least should know) that you're not supposed to charge to 100% daily unless you have absolutely no other choice (wherein even "slow" degradation will eventually ruin things for you).

Got it, don't charge to 100% all the time otherwise rapid degradation is your own fault.

then just change your daily charge to 95-100%

What now?

You know how sometimes when you log into your Tesla car app the car audibly makes a clicking noise. I have noticed lately it clicking and I don’t even log into the app must be Tesla getting data from my car it’s the only thing I can think of anyone else notice that?
That’s been happening at least since 2012 for me :).

The battery contactors will engage periodically for a variety of reasons such as cycling coolant.

I'm still managing to hold off the v9 install. I'm starting to think there might be something after all to keeping the drivers seat connector closest to the console unhooked. Found another report of some guy with an X that went for a long time without an update because some door sensor was faulty which prevented the update from installing so it could very well be that the seat plug trick works.

I pulled the fuse of the rear left door handle. I afterwards started the 2019.28.2 update and it failed after 7 minutes.
So in case anyone wants to do the same, the fuse is located here (brown, 5A), remember it's best to pull the fuse when the handle is retracted ;-)

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_121502.jpg
    IMG_20190815_121502.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
I don't care the spin. I just want an option to buy a pack for a reasonable price when mine wears out, for whatever reason.

Even better, if Tesla retro'd the new model 3 cells into S and X frames as the refurbs. Move the tech forward.

I do agree that Tesla should be offering replacement packs. You can buy an engine for any car out there; why not this? I fear that most people wouldn't see the price as reasonable though. I expect you'd be looking at 20K+.

But, no other manufacturer engineers newer tech into older cars. It's not good use of resources. I don't know why anybody would expect Tesla to. You may get some third parties that will, just as some third parties will shoehorn modern engines into old cars.

I do agree that Tesla should be offering replacement packs. You can buy an engine for any car out there; why not this? I fear that most people wouldn't see the price as reasonable though. I expect you'd be looking at 20K+.

But, no other manufacturer engineers newer tech into older cars. It's not good use of resources. I don't know why anybody would expect Tesla to. You may get some third parties that will, just as some third parties will shoehorn modern engines into old cars.

At least in the U.S., the car companies are required by law to have parts available for the period of 10 years. I sure hope the battery pack is not excluded. Of course, the price is a different story.

When I bought my car the battery replacement was one of my questions and was told by Tesla not only it will be available, but will be a way much cheaper and also also bigger in capacity (upgrade)!

The latest 100 kWh battery will fit and work just fine in an old Model S from 2012. The battery and car are designed for that. Tesla has just been very reluctant. As far as I know they only allow same size batteries and they charge a ridiculous price while demanding the old battery back. A Tesla battery pack is worth $12-$18k on the market.

The latest 100 kWh battery will fit and work just fine in an old Model S from 2012. The battery and car are designed for that. Tesla has just been very reluctant. As far as I know they only allow same size batteries and they charge a ridiculous price while demanding the old battery back. A Tesla battery pack is worth $12-$18k on the market.
well that may be the case for a healthy battery I am waiting to see what happens to these 85 packs and if Tesla every comes clean about why they were capped. If it was due to dendrites and potential for fire they wont be worth hardly anything IMHO. I think that is all the more reason to get a justified response from them whether that is true through the many arbitration cases or the pending suit.

I think the only way this is a positive spin for everyone is a replacement or new battery. If they come out and say it was safety due to fires our values of our cars tank immediately and most likely unsellable. At that point they would be forced to replace for safety reasons I think that is why everyone is quiet. IMHO Tesla may not even know yet what caused the fires and is taking safety measure and the wait and see.

• Love
Reactions: Guy V

Tesla has installed 90kWH battery packs in 85s in the past, there are some examples of P90s out there once the packs where changed.

I have reading this thread for a while but been silent thus far as I haven't seen a huge loss in RM, but have had a funny sequence of events many of which have been mentioned above:
1. My battery was already a bit degraded, I had 230RM in may, but it has gone to somewhere around 226-228 since then (not really an issue but it is a small drop that is noticeable on the TeslaFi graph)
2. I have noticed recently the "power" issue below about 50% charge, when I stamp on the gas I get a yellow dashed line and the power is limited a bit, getting worse the lower the SOC is (understand normal below c.20% but shouldn't be the case as high as 50%) I have asked the SC about this but they said it was "normal" as always;
3. My A/C became noticeably useless in July this year. I'm in the UK so it doesn't have a tough life, but we had a heatwave and it just wasn't doing the job. I booked it in for service and the SC fixed it, but they said it hadn't been done for 3 years, which I queried as it was done in the major service last September. After I queried they came up with some wooly excuse and immediately refunded me, which although great seemed very odd as I wasn't even requesting that, mainly querying whether they'd actually done it last year.
4. My car now is constantly waking itself up. According to TeslaFi it now only sleeps for an hour at a time, then wakes up for 45 mins, all day and all night. This is obviously increasing vampire drain, but also makes me wonder if Tesla are pulling logs from it or something. Up until now it's slept fine so this is new, since the install of 2019.28.2.

The car is a 2014 S85, currently on 2019.28.2

The latest 100 kWh battery will fit and work just fine in an old Model S from 2012. The battery and car are designed for that. Tesla has just been very reluctant.

I don't think that is 100% true. WK057 has said that going to a 100kWh pack requires suspension upgrades, at least for cars with coil suspension.

The 100kWh upgrade that Tesla did also required seat replacement and I think changes to the door panels.

David, what about the whole wiring and other electrical component of the car which I've read need to be replaced for a 100 kWh fitted in the older model S cars? It sounded as not a possible replacement or at least hard to do (or Tesla won't do it), no?

What happens if some thief comes along and steals the battery pack from your Tesla? Would Tesla refuse to sell you a new battery because you are unable to provide them with the old one?