Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FB_IMG_1566880516785.jpg

Ridiculous vampire drain!
So, I was in Norway for a week.
I parked Saturday Aug 17 morning 9:23 am with 129 mile rated range (57%)
I returned Aug 24 7:31 pm with 69 miles remaining (30%).
I lost 60 miles in 7.4 days or 8.1 miles per day

May 3 at 3:08pm I left my car for another trip with 136 miles (55%) and returned May 12 at 5:26pm with 83 miles remaining.
I lost 53 miles in 9.1 days or 5.8 miles per day.

That is a 38% increase in daily range loss.
All settings were the same between the trips.
I have never liked the term vampire drain. It makes me feel it is a unknown bad battery drain. I wish the term didn't stick. I prefer the term maintenance drain. I believe our cars are doing more maintenance after the latest software updates to keep the battery in more refined parameters and condition.

I have never liked the term vampire drain. It makes me feel it is a unknown bad battery drain. I wish the term didn't stick. I prefer the term maintenance drain. I believe our cars are doing more maintenance after the latest software updates to keep the battery in more refined parameters and condition.

Given that you don't really know if the drain is really due to increased maintenance, the term vampire drain perfectly fits your own criteria, no?

Parked the car in my garage in the afternoon of last week, the 19th, with a range of 93 km.
That evening I got a software update.
The next morning the range was suddenly increased to 103 km.
This week I made three charging and range tests and remarked that the maximum charge only 66 kWh was.
After the first "mysterious software-degrade" of the battery three months ago the capicity of my 85 kWh battery dropped from 76 kWh maximum charge to 66 kWh maximum (netto) charge.
So, in one day I lost about 10 KWh.
The Tesla guy in the service shop in the Netherlands, Duiven, kept on saying that I was wrong and everything on the internet mentioned was false information !!
Mr. Elon Musk, be honest and please give me back a battery where I have paid for.

After the first "mysterious software-degrade" of the battery three months ago the capicity of my 85 kWh battery dropped from 76 kWh maximum charge to 66 kWh maximum (netto) charge.
So, in one day I lost about 10 KWh.
The Tesla guy in the service shop in the Netherlands, Duiven, kept on saying that I was wrong and everything on the internet mentioned was false information !!

Not everything on the internet is false. I think affected customers feedback here is both open, honest and based on what is actually happening... even if some people at Tesla want to pretend it isn’t.

Mr. Elon Musk, be honest and please give me back a battery where I have paid for.

Amen

I am at this time in an area of no charging available. But there is a charger at 50 miles out of the way. I have no destination charging where I am currently

You are writing an email using a device that runs on electricity and charges from a socket, but that same socket is not good enough to charge your car? I've stayed at many hotels that previously had no charging or plugshare entry, and personally got the hotel to permit charging and added them to plugshare with approval. I guess I might care more than others about this sort of advocacy, but it's what I do to advance the cause.

you will still have almost double charge time getting to 90ish percent

As I outlined earlier, our 2013 has limited supercharging due to the original "A" battery pack, and therefore I have "struggled through somehow" to drive 50000 km on the supercharger network. The reduction in charge rate for some small set of cars to now more closely match the charge rate my car has had all along doesn't seem like an imposition, as I never viewed the limitation as such, it's perfectly fine on road trips we've taken.

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE and Droschke
You are writing an email using a device that runs on electricity and charges from a socket, but that same socket is not good enough to charge your car? I've stayed at many hotels that previously had no charging or plugshare entry, and personally got the hotel to permit charging and added them to plugshare with approval. I guess I might care more than others about this sort of advocacy, but it's what I do to advance the cause.

As I outlined earlier, our 2013 has limited supercharging due to the original "A" battery pack, and therefore I have "struggled through somehow" to drive 50000 km on the supercharger network. The reduction in charge rate for some small set of cars to now more closely match the charge rate my car has had all along doesn't seem like an imposition, as I never viewed the limitation as such, it's perfectly fine on road trips we've taken.
As I said earlier... you don't drive very much.
50,000 km over 6 years ~ 8,300 km per year ~ 5,200 miles per year.
I do 5,000 miles in 4 weeks.

Try charging at a max of 60kw when it used to be 120+ (with the new 150kw chargers)! Many of us are limited to that (60kw or less) after the first minute :(

As an owner of the original "A" pack Tesla S85 from early 2013, that charge rate is not uncommon for me either. I use techniques to ensure the maximum 90 kW charge rate by organizing my supercharging stops to surf 70-20% SOC.

At 20% I get 90 kW only if the battery is sufficiently warm, and that generally meant using 200 kW or more power for 1 minute leading up to the supercharging stop, which I would do by accelerating and regenerating repeatedly (see this video by my buddy
Bjørn Nyland :
)

The on route battery warm up feature might work, but I still use the 200 kW power consumption technique because I know it works.

For me, 60 kW is very commonly seen when the battery cells are under 30C or SOC is >50%, so I ensure the car is lower on SOC and cells are warm if I need maximum charge rate.

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
As I said earlier... you don't drive very much.
50,000 km over 6 years ~ 8,300 km per year ~ 5,200 miles per year.
I do 5,000 miles in 4 weeks.

Our Tesla driving is average ,140,000 km in 6 years.

Of which, 50000 km is purely supercharged km as reported on the monitoring site I used, as I am beta testing for a local company that monitors EV's via 3g modem connected to ODB2 dongle.

(My other car is only 60000 km in 6 years, and it's a tiny 100 km max range car suited to my short commute)

Which one of us is the outlier and complaining about something that is edge condition then?
Seriously.

I understand your situation, very well, read every post in this thread.

If you do 5000 miles per month, you are saving >$500 compared to a gas car, per month.
You are the outlier, and that's awesome, I am thrilled you are driving an EV for this level of mileage, your contribution to reducing CO2 and pollution is to be complimented!

• Funny
Reactions: VT_EE and Droschke
The battery gate is affecting all Tesla models , old and new. What bothers me about it is how consumers are buying an EV that claims to travel X miles then a month later it’s X-15 miles through a software update. If that’s the case they should disclose it. This is not normal degradation, it’s planned battery controlled gate.
I am not at all sure that batterygate (artificial capping of the battery) affects all Tesla models. I believe it only affects, SOME, pre Facelift Model S with 85, 70 or 60 batteries.

The issue that seems to affect a much wider group of vehicles, is chargegate (the limiting of charge speed).

I believe they are two separate issues.

The rest of your post I agree with.

There’s quite a few folks with Raven and model 3 with identical comments. I think many more are out there they just don’t post on here. We’re the few type A ones. Lol.

I am not at all sure that batterygate (artificial capping of the battery) affects all Tesla models. I believe it only affects, SOME, pre Facelift Model S with 85, 70 or 60 batteries.

The issue that seems to affect a much wider group of vehicles, is chargegate (the limiting of charge speed).

I believe they are two separate issues.

The rest of your post I agree with.

Reactions: Droschke
That should hopefully stop them from coming in here periodically to repeat the "instant large voltage losses are normal degradation" apologies we keep getting, and maybe a little more support will light some fires over at Tesla.

It would be interesting to see if teh impacted Model 3s are using v3 Superchargers. Since most of our cars are chargegate throttled too, it would make sense that twice the charge speed they took from us might have a larger impact than whatever the reason behind why they took it from us.

• Love
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke