Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I notice today that both the louvers (or louvre for search purposes) will open and you can check yourself by getting the car to do its no key wake up check thing:- after car has not been used for a while (asleep I guess) press door handle with no key present; rear tailgate lock clicks; 20 seconds later main contactors click; both front coolant pumps then run (listen in each wheel well - not sure if all have two pumps but I do) and both louvres cycle to open and back to closed once - you will have to be quick and look at them of course (cycle takes just a few seconds); pumps run for one minute and then turn off; wifi will connect during this process and stays connected for several minutes after.

This might work on cars other than mine (spec in sig) as a louver/louvre check.

Actually I just noticed that when you plug into charge the louvres/louvers will do an open then close cycle check straight away. Obviously this is an easy way to check they are both working.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
A new data point.

Charged yesterday to 89% SOC (207 miles range). Car sat overnight with the charger NOT plugged in. This morning I updated the Tesla phone app to ver 3.10 for the iPhone. I opened the app expecting to see a range of less than 207 miles due to vampire loss. Instead, the app initially showed 207 miles range and after a second it changed to 209 miles range. Not sure what is going on. Also, ScanMyTesla is now indicating my nominal battery capacity to be 69.3kWh (was 69.0kWh before).

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Droschke
A new data point.

Charged yesterday to 89% SOC (207 miles range). Car sat overnight with the charger NOT plugged in. This morning I updated the Tesla phone app to ver 3.10 for the iPhone. I opened the app expecting to see a range of less than 207 miles due to vampire loss. Instead, the app initially showed 207 miles range and after a second it changed to 209 miles range. Not sure what is going on. Also, ScanMyTesla is now indicating my nominal battery capacity to be 69.3kWh (was 69.0kWh before).

2 miles + the vampire drain ... How many miles did you expect to lose overnight when not plugged in?

2 miles + the vampire drain ... How many miles did you expect to lose overnight when not plugged in?
I typically lose 4 miles in a 24 hr period the first couple of days when the car just sits there. After the car sits unattended for an extended period of time (without checking on it using the app), the car usually goes into a deep sleep mode and the vampire loss drops to about 2 miles/day.

I expected to see about a 3 mile vampire drain loss since charging yesterday afternoon.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
We need nationwide reporting on this matter (along with the reduced charge rate issue that severely hampers the ability to do road trips) to get Tesla’s attention.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend. I should think that conservative news outlets would love this story.

I have a friend i am trying to work through at Fox to get this publicized again more to come hopefully on that.
Fox could do an incredible hit/smear piece on Tesla over this issue. This is what it has come to, unfortunately. Tesla is covering up something big.

Last edited:
Hitpieces are probably the only thing that will make Elon address this. He focuses too much on negativity and is probably the source of Tesla's bunker mentality in the first place. If we can get one of the usual suspects to notice our plight maybe he will tweet something actionable that can make them stop taking parts of our cars away from us.

Hitpieces are probably the only thing that will make Elon address this. He focuses too much on negativity and is probably the source of Tesla's bunker mentality in the first place. If we can get one of the usual suspects to notice our plight maybe he will tweet something actionable that can make them stop taking parts of our cars away from us.
Do you mean Bjorn Nylund, Marques Brownlee, etc.? Does anyone here have any pull with a social media influencer, Youtube personality, etc.?

A new data point.

Mine has recently done the same behavior. However I don't believe I am charge capped, charges to 229/230 @ 90%.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Right. Tesla responded instantly when Fred complained on electrek. It's too bad Fred doesn't have an 85 - he got $5000 out of Elon just complaining about normal price drops and that's half of what they stole from us (ignoring Performance theft as well)

Actually he HAS a classic signature red S85 and should be affected.
Let’s ask him.

Does anyone know the timeline of recent fire events?

1. the dates of the fires in SF, HK, Shanghai, Singapore and Germany
2. the year and model S that was affected
3. The approx software update timeline (because owners get updates on batches)

It would be interesting to see if a pattern is emerging yet
Shanghai Apr 21. San Francisco May 3, Hong Kong May 15, Germany July 30.
Verion 2019.16.1.1 was deployed May 15
SF was a 2015 S 85