Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I could find out from Toni (who can root any Tesla and a lot more) is that the capping can't be undone if you downgrade and install an older firmware version.
Jason knows what is going on but is, for good reasons, fearing Tesla's attorneys coming after him for the rest of his life. I believe that means the issue is serious.

I don't think it really makes much of a difference what exactly the underlying issue is. From a legal point it's not that relevant. Tesla reached into our property and significantly downgraded our cars. We want back what we had before the artificial clipping. Tesla will not just undo these restrictions because it's probably too dangerous. So one way or another, they have to fix this and give us back our cars as they were.

I was asking the folks at electrified garage if rooting would allow us to walk back the firmware to "pre-capped" condition. They provide a rooting service. Their answer is no. Once you have installed the firmware, there is no un-do.

The way I see it, for those of us who are already on 2019.xxx, the best we can hope for is a future update to lift or soften these caps... or new batteries.... or the insurance company claiming the car as a total loss...because some individual in frustration decided to pour gasoline over the car and light the match...

It doesn't really make sense though. Once you have ROOT access you can literally do whatever you want to do. That's the definition of having ROOT access.

That's not how I understand it...

Root access gives you complete admin privileges to your car. Access to menus and functions normally restricted to the end user. Ability to change the configuration file on the car. It does not give you access to software. You would need some kind of "Tesla Toolbox" type software to reprogram the modules on the car and root does not provide that...

That doesn't preclude the true hacker from developing a program that can force changes/updates to the modules on the car. Just that root in of itself doesn't give you that. But you would need root to even think of deploying software other than what Tesla already has as updates. I recall Jason Hughes finding a way to replace the firmware on a drive unit for instance, tricking it to thinking it was a performance drive unit. I suspect that's not a trivial process for doing across all the modules on the car.

Last edited:
Quite possibly, the firmware update updates the batteries BMS firmware directly, and it has a code built into it for no downgrades.
Another possibility is the car changes its configuration and the limitation isn't in the battery. Someone here earlier had a capped car's battery replaced and the replacement was capped too, until Tesla went in and uncapped it. To me that says the cap enforcer doesn't live in the battery.

What else do we need to know from the firmware/software
I would love to see the "trigger" criteria that the code is looking for to cause the capping. I think we all need to know this information because the capping was implemented as a direct response to parked car fires and I haven't parked indoors for 6 months. Was my battery flagged because it may catch fire?

At a bare minimum knowing what the software is looking for when it caps someone's car might help everyone else avoid being capped. Tesla won't even tell us how to avoid being "volunteered" for this artificially limited test group, but the info is in our car's software somewhere.

I would love to see the "trigger" criteria that the code is looking for to cause the capping. I think we all need to know this information because the capping was implemented as a direct response to parked car fires and I haven't parked indoors for 6 months. Was my battery flagged because it may catch fire?

At a bare minimum knowing what the software is looking for when it caps someone's car might help everyone else avoid being capped. Tesla won't even tell us how to avoid being "volunteered" for this artificially limited test group, but the info is in our car's software somewhere.

Do you think this is avoidable? I don't.

Root access gives you complete admin privileges to your car. Access to menus and functions normally restricted to the end user. Ability to change the configuration file on the car. It does not give you access to software. You would need some kind of "Tesla Toolbox" type software to reprogram the modules on the car and root does not provide that...

That doesn't preclude the true hacker from developing a program that can force changes/updates to the modules on the car. Just that root in of itself doesn't give you that. But you would need root to even think of deploying software other than what Tesla already has as updates. I recall Jason Hughes finding a way to replace the firmware on a drive unit for instance, tricking it to thinking it was a performance drive unit. I suspect that's not a trivial process for doing across all the modules on the car.
He had a rear drive unit car, P85. To get more power to it, he tricked the car into thinking it was a Dual Motor car, thus sending enough power for two drive units into the single performance rear-drive unit. Brilliant!

And on top of that each individual module could enforce code-signing and anti-rollback features.

When firmware gets updated, unless it's a major release, you typically do not update the entire SW image, you just patch (change) parts of the software image you want to update--this makes that process faster and limits the wear and tear on the memory. TeslaOS version X is really made up of a collection of individual modules. When you download and install software version X.1 your are really only replacing specific modules or changing config data (i.e. VPN keys or a new regen limit). An update to version X.2 may make changes to other modules. Reverting back to X.1 does not undo the changes made by X.2, instead, you would need a patch that specifically undoes the changes made by X.2. In our case, if X.2 changed made a change to the BMS, re-applying X.1 would not undo those changes, you would need a patch to specifically undo the BMS changes.

Root access is helpful in that it gives you the privileges to apply software patches, but developing the patches is no small task if you don't have access to the source code. I have seen folks change existing config parameters and the like in the firmware (like Jason was able to load in the color code for yellow for his wife's car) or unlock features already there but I have not seen anyone successfully change logic/flow/execution of the code itself.

Beyond this non-inconsequential hurdle, each code module is signed with a cryptographic key. That means if a software module is not signed properly, the system will not load/run it, so, even if you could hack the BMS module, and you could force an install with your root privileges, the system will still not accept the new code without the right signing. BTW, in general, this is a very good thing as it stops hackers from loading malicious code into your car.

I remember seeing a post from Jason somewhere that he was able to reverse the capping on a pack through root access by writing an invalid bit of data into the BMS and forcing the BMS to reformat the data and rebuild the battery to initial state.
I don't know if that stuck or caused another failure later.

Yeah, I think that is up to 9 owners reporting failed batteries with that firmware. Wonder what the fleetwide rate is. Most of them seem to be Classic owners.
To apply a little bit of perspective, the global sales of Classic MS between 2014 and Q1 2016 (I think the Facelift came in Q2) is just short of 100,000. So whilst 9 cars is not a reliable number, even if it were increased tenfold, I don’t think significant, statistically.