Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To apply a little bit of perspective, the global sales of Classic MS between 2014 and Q1 2016 (I think the Facelift came in Q2) is just short of 100,000. So whilst 9 cars is not a reliable number, even if it were increased tenfold, I don’t think significant, statistically.

Classics are the non-AP Model S’s, so 2012 to mid 2014 FYI. I used to own one :)

I just wondered if 9 people were reporting on the forums, there may be even more out there who aren’t on the forums. I suspect forum participants are the minority of owners. Kind of like when the AC odor thread started for the Model 3 then cabin air filters went on back order for weeks in Southern California. The few forum owners reporting the issues were just the tip of the iceberg vs the actual population of cars experiencing the issue (based on Tesla running out of parts regionally) Could be the opposite effect too, though. That is why I was curious.

I’m planning on making a crucial trip north and I’m concerned I’ll get a battery failure during my extended stay. What precautions can I make to prob the pack before hand? I’m got a Kiwi 3 OBD adaptor and I’ve heard of a android app that can read the pack. Is there a greater breath of data available to my purpose going the route of the adaptor under the MCU vs the OBD? I ended up with my model s from trading my ICE/plugin with my father. He lives in an apartment and can’t charge from home. This chargegate tragically ruined my longterm solution for my father’s car problem. I talked him into buying this used Tesla to help his tendency to wreck (poor vision + road rage) and he thinks firestone is the only mechanical service that exist. He typically drives high milage vehicles and rags them out. Something breaks and he hits me up for help because I’ve had terrible experiences with ICE mechanics breaking and mistreating cars. He will drive without oil changes for 20K miles and top up oil as the engine melts down. With Tesla’s minimal moving parts and virtually zero maintenance, I was elated to find a way to resolve this stress. But after chargegate, he hates Tesla. SC takes forever with the cold and he would charge to 100% because he hated making so many trips during the week. And with the limited number of SC stations in Alabama, there were trips that he would have to find destination chargers to make it back home. Maximum range is 238 now. Which it could be worse but my mother in law’s 17’ model s 75 gets better range at this point. Estimated kWh for my car is <75kWh. Tesla has made record profits from the headlines. I hope they are looking for a long term battery solution to the 18650 flaw. If they make a million mile pack soon, they should offer everyone affected by battery gate a $5K upgrade option with an extended warrenty for the drive train. That seems fare if you ask me.

Classics are the non-AP Model S’s, so 2012 to mid 2014 FYI. I used to own one :)

I just wondered if 9 people were reporting on the forums, there may be even more out there who aren’t on the forums. I suspect forum participants are the minority of owners. Kind of like when the AC odor thread started for the Model 3 then cabin air filters went on back order for weeks in Southern California. The few forum owners reporting the issues were just the tip of the iceberg vs the actual population of cars experiencing the issue (based on Tesla running out of parts regionally) Could be the opposite effect too, though. That is why I was curious.
I hadn’t heard that definition of Classic before. In UK it is more commonly used just to describe Pre Facelift Model S, and isn’t in any way related to whether the vehicle has AP or not. I still own one :( That was the interpretation I was using. I absolutely agree that trying giving numbers drawn from this, or any other, forum any significance is high risk. At best they are only a very wet finger in the air estimate, probably not even that. But if they are tenfold out, or even 100 fold out, the numbers do still seem small in comparison to the fleet size.

It's probably every car Tesla made and the reason they tried capping instead of fixing all along. A few people suggested that early on and as the impacted groups keep growing they're looking more and more correct.
Early in this thread I was chastised for saying this could be as bad as dieselgate……. look at how things have escalated since then.

Early in this thread I was chastised for saying this could be as bad as dieselgate……. look at how things have escalated since then.
If the EPA investigates it can still be Dieselgate... Tesla falsified our EPA test results using a software cheat, just like VW. Let's not report them to the EPA just yet - I think the NHTSA's safety audit should be sufficient to fix our cars without going that far and we can always revisit the option later as a last resort.

I think few, if any, here believe Tesla intentionally set out to mislead anybody.
I don't think anyone believes they haven't been and aren't still currently actively misleading us. The NHTSA thinks they were mislead, too. There is no doubt whatsoever Tesla mislead everyone intentionally when they tried to deny, excuse, minimize, and ultimately stop responding to the effects and cause behind 2019.16's downgrades. "Misleading" is probably the one thing everyone here agrees on. It's why there is so much discussion behind why we have been capped. Nobody believes Tesla - not even Tesla since they have changed t heir story several times already.

What nobody wants is Dieselgate level punishments threatening our ability to be made whole ever.

Why he says “car is out of warranty”? It’s 100 D, so it can’t be 8 years old.

Only the battery and drive unit have an 8 year warranty they rest is mileage limited.

If you have a capped battery. isn't it obvious, that the cause is the battery?

Tesla says everything is out of warranty now. Even faulty screens on fully warranty covered new cars are "out of warranty"
Last time I looked at Tesla warranty it excluded effects from exposure to gasses in the atmosphere, so if you feel bound by those terms, you might as well not bother submitting any claims!

Some how stuff does get taken care of usually.

I'm so annoyed by it because Tesla told me this nonsense about balancing and how I need to follow a certain procedure for 6 months to balance my pack. It's all hogwash and distraction from this problem discussed here.
Let me add that the advice Tesla gave you actually accelerates battery degradation, which they won't cover!

I kinda wonder how many of these cool features have secret, undisclosed timers on them. We have seen it with DCFC and Ludicrous/WOT launches. I wonder if the folks using 250kW charging or that just bought the acceleration boost are in for a nasty surprise down the road.
That 250 kW rate will absolutely get nerfed as the batteries age. Porsche offers a disclaimer on its Taycan page that fast DC charging rates will drop over time as the battery ages. This is a disclaimer that was never on any of Tesla's marketing or order pages, and was NOT disclosed anywhere by Tesla when I purchased my car. I believe the marketing promise back then was 150 miles in 20 minutes-30 minutes. My car delivered on that promise until very recently, when Tesla decided to renege on that promise.

This is analogous to a traditional manufacturer narrowing the opening of one's gas tank 6 years after purchase, requiring one to use a funnel to refuel, significantly lengthening one's stay at the gas station. NOT OK.

It just keeps getting worse and worse with Tesla!
Yet the man at the top just danced a jig on a Chinese stage to an all-time high stock value and successful opening of the China factory. His bad behavior apparently has no true ramifications. As an aside, I am absolutely stunned no ICE-oriented publications picked up on #chargegate and #batterygate. Not even the various dealer associations who can so easily use all of the service issues against Tesla. This is red meat for them, covered in sausage and with a sign that says "EAT ME". Where are the jackals?

Quite possibly, the firmware update updates the batteries BMS firmware directly, and it has a code built into it for no downgrades.
It's nice to see you still driving a Tesla after all of the issues you've had. Tesla really owes people like yourself for creating so much positive media for them when they needed it the most. Now they piss on those who helped them get to where they are today. This is so upsetting to watch.

I don't see the EPA thing happening. Unlike VW, I think few, if any, here believe Tesla intentionally set out to mislead anybody.
I believe Elon Musk makes intentional decisions to push the hardware beyond its capabilities in order to create marketing hype, knowing that he can (and will) take those representations back via software several years later, after the hypothetical has become reality and when he thinks nobody is looking. I truly believe this to be a silent part of Musk's plan and why Tesla is fighting this so hard. After all, if plaintiffs prevail Tesla will be forced to be more responsible and realistic with its marketing promises. What is Tesla, then, without the hype? It's just another EV manufacturer competing with a bunch of other EV manufacturers.

Last edited: