Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my car back yesterday. They were unable to figure out the cause of the BMS errors. Said they couldn't reproduce them but could see them all in the logs. They only charged 1 hour of labor although that is on top of previous hour they charged to fix the problem that wasn't really the problem.

Bought a new UMC for $280 which is highly discounted from the online price which is out of stock online anyways.

They want me to drive it until it reoccurs in the field and then use the tesla app to text. My service advisor says she'll keep the current ticket open and will see my text immediately pop up and will grab the tech....assuming this all happens during business hours on weekdays.

Really glad to get my car back. It may have 120K miles on it, but it the level of road and wind noise is way less than the 2017 75D I had for a week. It also has no creaks or rattles while the 75D loaner had dozens of them. Not really sure why that's the case. The 75D is a newer car with only 31K miles on it.

I guess I'm also starting to appreciate my plus suspension. The 75D really pushes in the corners on the that 5 mile ocean facing side of Pacheco pass while my car feels perfectly balanced and composed over those medium radius sweeping turns.

It has been my experience that the legal industry will gin up any excuse to procrastinate. It is all in the name of "zealous representation." One side pushes, and the other side pulls back. Rinse and repeat. The excuse du jour the past twelve months has been COVID. Now that most of the country is experiencing better numbers, using COVID as an excuse is becoming trite. What will be their new excuse to see them through the next six to nine months?

Since most of us have had our battery capacities restored to very near the levels before the effluent hit the fan, will this fact become moot? How will this amelioration affect the suit?

And Tesla has stated that the Supercharging speed reduction is just TS--tough situation.

There might not much meat left on this bone for us peasants. Many of the claims have more to do with statutory violations of various consumer laws. Since I am not a lawyer, I don't know how conceding or settling these sorts of claims would affect us.

Tesla just announced that they earned a $101 million profit on their bitcoin investment. Perhaps Elon Musk will deign to peel off a few of those millions and settle this lawsuit equitably for all sides. Then he can spend some petty cash and hire a PR firm to spin it.

Reactions: gmo43 and Droschke
Looking for some thoughts and opinions.

I followed this thread closely for the first year or so until I got bored of the bickering.

I stopped updating after I received 2019.16.2, which was the start of battery gate (I was never affected thankfully). I believe charge gate came a few versions later (anyone know specifically which version? I think it may have been 24?).

Now, I'm still on 16.2, and my 8 year warranty is about to expire. I'm debating on finally taking the update, thinking that if there was something in the software added that will flag a battery issue I should do it before warranty is done. I will eventually have to take an update if I need to get service on something electrical.

This is a risk of getting reduced Supercharging speed. I currently get roughly kw + soc = 130, lowering to 120 over time. Hasn't changed much over my 5 years of ownership of this 2013 S 85.
I would obviously prefer to not have shitty Supercharging speed, but I don't supercharge unless taking a road trip. I don't foresee taking any big road trips for a couple of years.

So I would appreciate thoughts on how likely I will get reduced Supercharging speed? Thoughts on if there is no value in updating? Software changes won't pick up anything new?

It has been my experience that the legal industry will gin up any excuse to procrastinate. It is all in the name of "zealous representation." One side pushes, and the other side pulls back. Rinse and repeat. The excuse du jour the past twelve months has been COVID. Now that most of the country is experiencing better numbers, using COVID as an excuse is becoming trite. What will be their new excuse to see them through the next six to nine months?

Since most of us have had our battery capacities restored to very near the levels before the effluent hit the fan, will this fact become moot? How will this amelioration affect the suit?

And Tesla has stated that the Supercharging speed reduction is just TS--tough situation.

There might not much meat left on this bone for us peasants. Many of the claims have more to do with statutory violations of various consumer laws. Since I am not a lawyer, I don't know how conceding or settling these sorts of claims would affect us.

Tesla just announced that they earned a $101 million profit on their bitcoin investment. Perhaps Elon Musk will deign to peel off a few of those millions and settle this lawsuit equitably for all sides. Then he can spend some petty cash and hire a PR firm to spin it.
As for me and some others, I will be remaining in the class.
I have gotten ZERO miles back, in fact they took a couple more!

It has been a while since I looked through the NHTSA reports, so I went digging today and I found this information in the January report:

1619576601634.png

So if this report is accurate NHTSA closed the defect petition over 3 months ago. And they don't show that they have opened a formal investigation about this issue.

But if you check the recall search tool it shows that this DP is still open. So maybe it is a mistake, notice that the close date is the same as DP19-004, but it hasn't been listed in the last two monthly reports. (So their two systems are in conflict on the status.)

@DJRas Do you know if your lawyer has received any communication about NHTSA closing the defect petition?

My range has been all over the place lately. The car can sit for days and gets Level 2 charged a few times a week. I've seen it yo-yo between 230 and 246 miles on the battery charging slider. 2 years/40K miles ago, 256mi was the consistent range when full (near full). The car still works fine for us, but the battery and range is always something I'm concerned about.

My range has been all over the place lately. The car can sit for days and gets Level 2 charged a few times a week. I've seen it yo-yo between 230 and 246 miles on the battery charging slider. 2 years/40K miles ago, 256mi was the consistent range when full (near full). The car still works fine for us, but the battery and range is always something I'm concerned about.
Same here, and I could blame it on my Covid lifestyle, but it has gotten worse just this year.

Per SMT, I have seen nominal capacities from 75.0 to 77.3 KwH, and range from 250 to 277 RM.

Seems to vary the most after a drive or SuC.

• Helpful
Reactions: maximizese
Any bets on another extension?

Nope: CAND-ECF-Confirm Request

WHEREAS, the parties had a mediation on July 24, 2020 with the Hon. Daniel Weinstein and Cathy Yanni of JAMS, Inc.; WHEREAS, this Court previously continued the stay of this litigation to facilitate the parties’ continuing discussions (ECF No. 41); WHEREAS, the parties are continuing their discussions in good faith and require additional time to complete them; WHEREAS, the parties desire to preserve the status quo and prevent the parties and the Court from unnecessarily expending resources pending mediation; THEREFORE, subject to the approval of the Court, the parties agree and stipulate as follows: The parties will report to the Court with an update on May 31, 2021. This matter shall be stayed until that date, and all other case deadlines shall be vacated.

Last edited:
It has been a while since I looked through the NHTSA reports, so I went digging today and I found this information in the January report:

View attachment 657589

So if this report is accurate NHTSA closed the defect petition over 3 months ago. And they don't show that they have opened a formal investigation about this issue.

But if you check the recall search tool it shows that this DP is still open. So maybe it is a mistake, notice that the close date is the same as DP19-004, but it hasn't been listed in the last two monthly reports. (So their two systems are in conflict on the status.)

@DJRas Do you know if your lawyer has received any communication about NHTSA closing the defect petition?
I contacted the NHTSA about this, what a mess that is, and I just got word that the report is correct; that it has been closed, and that they should be updating the site with additional documents soon. Assuming that the person understood everything correctly, and relayed the information to me correctly, that means that the defect petition was denied. (Or we would have seen a formal investigation opened.)

The engineer is supposed to get back to me with additional information but she didn't know when that would happen. We will see.