Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, the tech said the standard is 10% below fleet-wide average at the current mileage.
But, they would not print this out or let me take a screen shot
I can only imagine the reasons why, and none of them good.

Tesla removes 'free unlimited Supercharging' from its used cars - Electrek

Interesting, you think that Tesla did this move to prevent what you all are talking about? Li-Plating?
No, those cars can still supercharge for a fee. Tesla did not disable supercharging.

Tesla is walking on a very thin ice. It takes one mainstream journalist to make a story about this ant sh*t hits the fan.
Waiting... I believe I gave a few members the email address to my Reuters contact, Alexandra Sage. Hopefully she'll be into this.

I hope you are right on that.

"thorough testing" from Tesla? o_O

I don't think my case is that specific based on what I've seen, it's pretty similar to others with the same degree of loss. But even if it is, is it possible for a manufacturer to drag the warranty period to its expiration date by prescribing painkillers in meantime? I believe so. It's in their best interest, but not mine. Furthermore, I've not read anywhere that the software updates are forever. What does an owner with no painkiller who is also out of warranty, the same warranty which would have resulted in no need for the painkillers if it would had applied earlier, would do? (Perspective: my car is 4 years old with only 43K miles, with the projection of much less than the double amount in 8 years)

Again, a touchy topic.
Unfortunately, I believe one or more lawsuits may be needed to answer to those questions.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
Why not simply issue a dashboard warning to ask the customer to bring their car in for service / battery replacement?

Why no message in the dashboard? Very good question!

@u1e85d5, why a surprise? It all goes back to the haphazard way Tesla releases sw updates, poor quality included. Different topic of course but not that unrelated here.

• Love
... so if somebody at the SeC tells you, your battery is fine, they might not be fully informed as to the current situation.

No, if the SC tells you your battery is fine, that's as official as it can get, even if the owner, like yourself, does not agree to its validity. You can't get a battery health check report from the head of Tesla battery engineering department, can you? That's not how service requests work: through the Service Centers.

• Funny
@u1e85d5, now, you lost me here. If X is stronger than Z, how can Z look like super-X?
Maybe you track a certain voltage bump and X creates a very tiny one. Z on the other, which you never saw or noticed, creates a bump 100x larger, so your new X-detection algorithm thinks it's X on steroids instead of detecting it as benign Z.

No, if the SC tells you your battery is fine, that's as official as it can get, even if the owner, like yourself, does not agree to its validity. You can't get a battery health check report from the head of Tesla battery engineering department, can you? That's not how service requests work: through the Service Centers.
You're technically right. But I wouldn't necessarily say, Tesla lied to somebody, if they gave an uninformed, wrong answer. It shouldn't happen, I think we all agree on that, but lying means intent for wrong doing.

The voltage curve is far from linear. At 4.1V you're close to 80% SoC:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...cell-versus-State-of-Charge-28_fig5_289994303

It varies by chemistry. On the our batteries, 4.1 volts is a little over 90%. Note TM-SPY 90.6% is an even 90% on the dash due to the mapping from bottom including the anti brick buffer in TM-SPY where it isn't on the dash's display.

i-mfFWWf6-X3.jpg

I certainly agree that the internal communication falls well short of adequate.

I also read, on here (yes I know it’s a huge thread) that battery restrictions certainly can be reversed, almost just like that. The post was actually someone that had had restrictions placed on their car, their battery was replaced, the restrictions were still in place, and they were subsequently removed, I think remotely, or at least at a Service Centre. But the point being, it was done locally and didn’t need to wait for a fleet wide update. I accept they at be different sorts of codes etc, but at least it gives (me) hope.

I think that owner is @PetriKarj if I recall correctly.

Reactions: Ferrycraigs
Perhaps that would be the best for the owners with the problem. Tesla had enough time to explain what is the problem and how they will solve it.

I’m very happy my P85D has not the problem up to now ... but nobody knows what may happen the next time

I wish I knew if my P85D had the problem but I won't upgrade to v9 unless I'm forced to either because I have to leave the car in service for some reason or the MCU fails. My days are numbered :(

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
So you say SCs can do capacity restoration? First time I see this mentioned.

The only time I have seen it before someone mentioned that they had their battery replaced, or repaired, and the logged fault from before the repair was still in the BMS causing a restriction. The SC was able to clear the fault, that had been repaired, and that restored the capacity.

• Informative
I agree completely
See sttached... the knee in the final cliff is 2019.16.2 release

Sue or request arbitration. That graph is pretty compelling and appalling. In addition, it would probably help tremendously if you make a trip that you normally used to make and can't now, run out of battery and get towed. If you have Teslafi showing that those trips had been made and how much range you had left vs you can't even do it now without actually dying on the side of the road, it would be even better. I'm so glad that I have hundreds of trips logged on teslafi. As soon as I'm forced with v9, if I have a similarly large drop as some you have, I will be seeking legal remedies immediately.

• Love