Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to be an effort by Tesla to avoid large numbers of warranty claims as the Model S ages. I have a 2014 85 kwh and experienced exactly what has been complained about in this thread - a sudden, dramatic loss of upwards of 20% range capacity. I feel the 8 year battery warranty is breached by Tesla if they are reducing capacity by use of software designed solely to make sure that at the 8 year mark the battery pack capacity is within expected range. I am shocked that Tesla would do this - any other company I would not be - but in the 5 years of owning the S and 1 since buying a 3, the customer service has always been extraordinary. I am hoping this is just a gross error and fixed soon but I am not letting this go. Are there any suggestions how to make this more public?

I have a 70D with 56,000 miles that was delivered in August of 2015.

90% then was 216 miles.
90% a month ago was 206 miles.
90% now is 182 miles with 2019.20.2.1 software.
Your stats are almost to the tee with mine. My car is 3-4 months newer than yours and have just a tad over 56k miles. My 90% was 205 before it started degrading fast and now at 182!

I feel the 8 year battery warranty is breached by Tesla if they are reducing capacity by use of software designed solely to make sure that at the 8 year mark the battery pack capacity is within expected range.

But the warranty doesn't even cover degradation so there would be no reason for Tesla to do that. Now if these changes are to prevent actual failure then it cold save them on warranty costs.

• Love
Reactions: neroden and Matias
Obviously this is not a normal degradation case (not covered under warranty). It's a sudden and intentional capacity reduction.

Yep and I wonder how this would go in arbitration? Other people have gotten batteries replaced because of sudden range drops. Those weren't intentional but that really shouldn't matter. I actually think this will cost Tesla more unless they reverse it.

Your stats are almost to the tee with mine. My car is 3-4 months newer than yours and have just a tad over 56k miles. My 90% was 205 before it started degrading fast and now at 182!

yup that makes 3 of us..I now cannot make certain trips and will need to adjust others in order to deal with the sudden loss in range. As stated by others, we CANNOT let this go as it results in loss of usability and loss of value for our cars. Tesla is breaching purchase agreements by changing the materials received by purchaser after completion of the transaction.

Yep and I wonder how this would go in arbitration? Other people have gotten batteries replaced because of sudden range drops. Those weren't intentional but that really shouldn't matter. I actually think this will cost Tesla more unless they reverse it.

Agreed.

Tesla has told electrek they have done it to “protect the battery and improve battery longevity”. We, the owners, paid for range and expected reasonable/normal degradation over the life of the battery.

What if a year from now, Tesla takes it one step further and reduces more capacity to even more "“protect the battery and improve battery longevity"?

But the warranty doesn't even cover degradation so there would be no reason for Tesla to do that. Now if these changes are to prevent actual failure then it cold save them on warranty costs.
the warranty doesn't cover degradation but Tesla has said repeatedly that an excessive loss in capacity is covered. it is a very vague standard but tech supervisors at Tesla told me that a 20% loss can be characterized as defective but that typically degradation is caused by very specific physical issues within the battery pack cells. that is why this is such a conundrum. if it is Tesla software deliberately reducing battery capacity then degradation is not the cause, Tesla is, and this is not really degradation, it is an artificial loss of battery range.
the effect seems to be only on older S models so maybe the effort to extend battery life was a noble one except that my 2014 hardware is so "primitive" it is being negatively affected.
the point is also, I don't know. That's why a more comprehensive response from Tesla would be appreciated. So far, all I've gotten from Tesla is "this is normal degradation, see ya".

Reactions: sorka and Droschke
has anyone had luck in asking for the software to be reverted back to older version in order to get the range back? This might be a way to give us back the range they stole from our cars, while they work out a software solution...I will be discussing this with the service centre.
Tesla virtually never reverts software. It's been asked of them countless times for different reasons. Nope.

They responded to my service request for the range loss issue:

- Asked me if my issue has already been resolved (!!!).
- I responded negative and also provided the electrek article link.
- They replied and said the article has all the information they can give me at this time.
- They also said they have reviewed my car's data to ensure there are no other issues that are occurring with my battery or the charging system and found that everything is working as it should.
- They said there were a number of cars impacted by the update and that they are working on updates that will address the issue for those that were impacted but they do not have a timeframe on when those updates will be deployed.
- They said they know this is a concern for those that were impacted and hopefully changes will be coming in the very near future.

Tesla virtually never reverts software. It's been asked of them countless times for different reasons. Nope.

ok; if that's the case and they do not come up with a software fix for this issue we should demand battery replacement under warranty. This reminds me of the Apple fiasco with them throttling back older iPhones. They eventually caved and offered battery replacements for a minimal fee. I've always pushed my friends and coworkers to consider buying a Tesla (4 have as a result). After this, I think I'll be cutting back on singing praise for Tesla.

Got the official statement regarding the HV battery capacity test:

Performed a HV battery CAC, capacity and range test, this succeeded all well without any issues. The range decrease is normal behavior and is within Tesla specs. A full charge will never be the same as the last one, this is due to driving style, weather, traffic, tire pressure, driving with the heater or AC fully on. A difference of 44km on a full charge is normal behavior and is not an issue! Same for normal gasoline/diesel cars, these vehicles will never be able to drive the same exact kilometers as the previous full tank of fuel.Something that the customer could do (this is just for visual) is on the MCU > Screen and then scroll down to energy. Next to energy display there are 2 options (Nominaal and Standaard) most likely its set to standaard. With this option selected the range displayed is less than nominaal but it is more accurate because this is calculated by previous charges and driving style.

2014 P85D built 11/14 here. Purchased 3 weeks ago, and it was updated to 2019.16 the day I picked it up. 71k km on the car when I picked it up, now at 73k km. 90% charge is consistently to between 356-358km, which TeslaFi shows as 396-398km estimated range at 100%, for about 1.8% degradation which I'm extremely happy about.

I'm keeping a close eye on these range developments. I feel for you guys, and would be extremely pissed if that happened to me.

Ask about the voltage difference. Miles are calculated, voltage is simply read from direct values without needing to hedge math. A reduction in pack voltage at 100% is either intentional or a sign of failure. There is no in between, degradation doesn't reduce voltage drastically.

• Informative
Reactions: Category5