Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came back from supercharging .. here are my stats: Added 220 mi and 65kWh. Stopped charging at (what the computer says is) 90% and 233 miles in the "tank". This puts my 100% range at 258 miles and 100% charge at 76 kWh. As a side note, I started charging with 12 mi worth of battery remaining, took well over an 1:15 to get to 90% so the charge rate has significantly slowed. The peak rate started at 122kW and slowly, but linearly, dropped to the final 27kW rate in the end.

View attachment 435751 View attachment 435752
The displayed kWh added does not match what the BMS says in my car (the display number is about 6.8% high)
Passenger side, look under front wheel well at the sticker on the battery. It has a part number and serial.
should look something like this:
My Battery  sticker.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: SigRed12
I just purchased my CPO Tesla Model X back in March 2019. Due to circumstances not in my control the vehicle was finally delivered with many issues on May 31st 2019. That is another thread.

Being new I hope I am not posting on the incorrect thread by I have taken a photo every time I have charged the car up to 80% and also photoed the range at the same time.

My 90 D went from 80% with a 220 range to now to 199 mile range at 80% after the download. Since the download I only charged twice to 90% and the range was 221 and 222 miles.

I charged to 100% once prior to the down load after reading articles and my range was 245 miles. The car has 13800 miles 12022 when I purchased back in March. I am taking a road trip to Colorado in two days and I will charge the trip at 100% charged.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Informative
Reactions: Blu Zap
I just purchased my CPO Tesla Model X back in March 2019. Due to circumstances not in my control the vehicle was finally delivered with many issues on May 31st 2019. That is another thread.

Being new I hope I am not posting on the incorrect thread by I have taken a photo every time I have charged the car up to 80% and also photoed the range at the same time.

My 90 D went from 80% with a 220 range to now to 199 mile range at 80% after the download. Since the download I only charged twice to 90% and the range was 221 and 222 miles.

I charged to 100% once prior to the down load after reading articles and my range was 245 miles. The car has 13800 miles 12022 when I purchased back in March. I am taking a road trip to Colorado in two days and I will charge the trip at 100% charged.

You do seem to be affected.

Reactions: Droschke

What year? Is it a P90D or just a 90D? 20 or 22" wheels?
Here is a range table for all models and trims :)
Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

Yes, I am sorry I was not very specific. The car is a 2016 Model X 90D manufacture date was April 2016. It is an AP1 system and it does not have any cameras other that the one above the mirror.

I will be leaving for a five day road trip and will be very careful to drive a certain speed so the information is more useful. I would assume you get the longest range at a constant 65 MPH.

Thank you all for your input.

I requested to file a battery claim with my local service center and explained slow charging and reduction In available mileage. I told them contractually I was supposed to get more mileage and I just bought my car in May. I filed this complaint like two -three weeks ago and the lead service manager is back now and reviewing. I am also supposed to get a call back from the state Attorney General about my complaint with them. I will definitely bring this fact up when I speak with the service manager. As well as reminding them they reduced the available space on my battery.

I wonder if anyone has gotten their battery replaced due to this update and can’t talk about it due to a signed NDA? I have a feeling some have and they can’t talk about it .

In addition to losing about 10kWh from my battery's capacity, and therefore a reduction in range due to the smaller battery, I am also experiencing some very variable consumption figures. Such as
7% for 11 miles,
12% for 17 miles
23% for 26 miles
then a 37% for 67 miles
22% for 37 miles.
24% for 39 miles

So whilst the overall range reduction is an issue, these fluctuating consumption figures make planning any journey (ie have I enough charge to get there/back) almost impossible. Am I the only one that has this additional issue?

My point is that the HWPC is not "dropping" voltage. The voltage drop is a factor of wiring and how much current load is placed on the circuit.
Correct but the car is set too sensitive to a drop in voltage, that is the issue here. They do not account for the real world. I am a electrician, there is no issue on my end, it is just that tesla has the parameters wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke and Matias
In addition to losing about 10kWh from my battery's capacity, and therefore a reduction in range due to the smaller battery, I am also experiencing some very variable consumption figures. Such as
7% for 11 miles,
12% for 17 miles
23% for 26 miles
then a 37% for 67 miles
22% for 37 miles.
24% for 39 miles

So whilst the overall range reduction is an issue, these fluctuating consumption figures make planning any journey (ie have I enough charge to get there/back) almost impossible. Am I the only one that has this additional issue?
Very normal. Depends on speed, wind, whether you are going up hill or not, etc. Just let the nav do it for you and add 10-15% to its estimate.
On trips (with ONE exception (Eureka to Ukiah) where the road data is incorrect (more climb than maps show)), I unplug and leave when it says I will arrive with 20% when possible. 15% if the weather is nice. You never know if some asshat is gonna block the road or not when they hit the guard rail :p

Correct but the car is set too sensitive to a drop in voltage, that is the issue here. They do not account for the real world. I am a electrician, there is no issue on my end, it is just that tesla has the parameters wrong.

Tesla has to build this stuff for idiots, unfortunately, and that brings its own set of problems. For example, I've been back and forth with them for months trying to make three HPWCs function at all in an industrial environment (240V L-L 3-phase system)... it's purely software on the HPWC preventing this, as other EVSEs work fine, including Tesla's own UMC. The issue is that Tesla's HPWC requires ground be bonded to neutral (ie: neutral must be 120V). In the case of a 3-phase delta setup without a neutral... this is impossible, despite a to-code setup. The check is there to make sure some idiot doesn't forget to ground the thing at their house and electrocute themselves... which is understandable from their perspective. But with no way to override this for a proper install in a non-residential environment, it's kind of useless.

Anyway... still waiting to hear from some folks at Tesla on this range loss issue again. They've seemed to be on the right track for a bit, but have since gone somewhat silent. We'll see how it goes.

But the range that Tesla quotes on its cars are for "flat road, 60mph, no wind, 76 deg and a cold 12 pack in the frunk"

Actually no, the calculation Tesla basis their range on is the EPA test cycle. Which has very little time at/above 60 MPH. (It looks like ~10% of the time is spent at/above 60 MPH.)

The cycles have an average speed of:
  • 21.2 MPH (Top speed 56 MPH)
  • 48.3 MPH (Top speed 60 MPH)
  • 48.4 MPH (Top speed 80 MPH)
  • 21.2 MPH (Top speed 54.8 MPH)
  • 21.2 MPH (Top speed 56 MPH)

Very normal. Depends on speed, wind, whether you are going up hill or not, etc. Just let the nav do it for you and add 10-15% to its estimate.
On trips (with ONE exception (Eureka to Ukiah) where the road data is incorrect (more climb than maps show)), I unplug and leave when it says I will arrive with 20% when possible. 15% if the weather is nice. You never know if some asshat is gonna block the road or not when they hit the guard rail :p
I perhaps didn’t make myself clear. I should have explained that I have been an owner for over 3 years, and driven over 50,000 miles including a number of international trips all across Europe so I feel I am very familiar with the fluctuations of consumption figures. Before batterygate, it was a pretty standard 1% per 2 miles, ie 10% for 20 miles. Obviously not exactly, for all the reasons you cite. But now, even though I understand completely that if my battery is now a 58kWh rather than a 70kWh my consumption figures are, in % terms, going to be higher, roughly 15% for 20 miles, it doesn’t seem to be a pretty standard consumption rate at all now and my point is the variation swings seem much more significant, making it very difficult to forecast if I have enough. As you say, on longer trips, the SatNav and Energy meter do a very good job and I do rely on them and have confidence in them. It’s the routine local 20-40 mile trips that never used to require planning, that are now causing the problems. I can’t find any logic to why the Consumption figures should vary by quite so much now. Perhaps I’m just seeing the magnified effects of the start of trips using proportionately higher rates than return trips. It doesn’t feel like it but it’s the only logical reason I can think of.

It is nice that you are one of those who are not affected by the update. There are many of us who are.

Please put yourself in our shoes... Imagine that you woke up tomorrow morning and Tesla substituted your P90 for a 70 without telling you or getting your permission. Would you be rightly upset? I think so.

As to the rated range reduction and charging speed reduction, it is very real for those of us who are affected. It has been proven several times throughout the thread, and acknowledged by Tesla.

They reduced the maximum voltage that can go into the pack, which reduced the available KW, which in turn reduced the rated range.They all are intertwined. Change one and the others change.

Wanna trade my affected S85 for your 90 straight across? (rofl)
:) Just my 85% of my two cents worth (Tesla took the other 15%) :D

Even with the new version, my 90% charge continues to be 232-235 miles (out of about 270) and I'll charge to 80-90% on a weekly basis. So I don't believe that it was solely the SW update, but something else - something else that is localized to the specific cars.

So there may be a percentage, and apparently a small percentage, of vehicles affected. What other issues do those vehicles have - that other vehicles using the same SW version do not?

Battery version? Launches? Drained to 1-2% and charged to 100% on a recurring basis?

Reactions: DJRas