Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The funny thing was they said for thermal management little different. And yes it’s troubling they say they can change the batteries this should be included in the suit against them that any changes to the battery range or performance should be explained first and over a certain % reduction owners be reimbursed.

Tesla almost feels like they think they are renting us a piece of equipment and think it’s not truly ours their sense of ownership is F’up.

Hence the reason I'm essentially resorting to voodoo to prevent v9 from installing on my car.

So, the "mitigation" of the range issue has stalled at ~2.5kWh (out of 8 lost) - 10 miles (out of 30 lost).
upload_2019-8-15_16-6-59.png

Interesting looking back at one of the old threads, when some of us where complaining about fan staying on, and some started to loose rated miles. One owner had recently had a refurb 85 battery and was also losing range !
Continuous Faint Humming Noise When Parked

That's the thread I started right before losing 30 miles with 2019.16.1 and 2.

Reactions: DJRas and Chaserr
I pulled the fuse of the rear left door handle. I afterwards started the 2019.28.2 update and it failed after 7 minutes.
So in case anyone wants to do the same, the fuse is located here (brown, 5A), remember it's best to pull the fuse when the handle is retracted ;-)

I went out and pulled the fuse. For some reason I thought that was inside. So I'll skip on getting the switched bypass.

However, it disables both rear door handles, not just the drivers side rear. No big deal as it's convenient to open it from within by opening a front door and the rear doors are never used unless the front doors are.

Now now I've got my door handle and seat connector spells woven. Let's hope it's enough to hold off the evil range robbing spirits :D

• Funny
Reactions: Droschke
I've got a 2016 MODEL S 70D - i've lost 40KM of range after the software update.

Is your battery a software locked 85?

Any fix coming soon for this?

What a great question! That's what we'd all like to know after 3700 posts in this thread!

A service manager confirmed that there is no date for a firmware release (when I complained about capacity loss) but that the Engineering Team are working on it.

Not sure if that is just the standard line or this person actually knows something about what is happening in Tesla HQ.

If Tesla turned around and said they'd match the M3 degradation warranty of 70% after 8 years what would people think? Even some of the bad examples shown are only about 20% loss in total from my rough maths (there may be some which are worse). I still don't think we'd be happy as the cars had been losing a lot less than that, and the way Tesla have done thins stinks,. but at least we'd have a known backstop

The issue is that some owners purchased a vehicle that met their driving requirements (distance for commute etc) but which after the infamous 2019.16.x updates no longer do.

Not only that but the Supercharging speeds have been severely reduced; both issues are what is creating so much pain for affected owners.

I've heard that some owners have sold their 85s; something that I am also considering.

Only Tesla has the ability to fix this.

... the Supercharging speeds have been severely reduced ...
Only Tesla has the ability to fix this.

Supercharging with these batteries is now roughly half of the advertised speed. This is significantly impacting long range travelling.

Tesla need to come up with a solution to match their advertised specifications. If the old 85kWh battery/technology can’t, maybe a switch to newer 100kWh can.

If Tesla turned around and said they'd match the M3 degradation warranty of 70% after 8 years what would people think? Even some of the bad examples shown are only about 20% loss in total from my rough maths (there may be some which are worse). I still don't think we'd be happy as the cars had been losing a lot less than that, and the way Tesla have done thins stinks,. but at least we'd have a known backstop

This is not a normal/gradual "degradation" issue. It's a sudden and deliberate capacity cap. Two different things.

You are framing the issue totally incorrectly. Any comparison between the impacted owners' imposed capacity lock and the normal degradation of the batteries confuses the topic here.

If any impacted owner has asked for the battery replacement, it is not because of the battery suddenly and overnight degraded but because the battery might be defective and/or unsafe and that's why this sudden/deliberate capacity lock was imposed, i.e., replace the battery because it is fire prone not because it's normal degradation is high (there is no such thing as normal degradation here!)

On Edit: Added more to the last paragraph to make the point clearer.

Last edited:
Actually P85DL's get 90 packs now. 85 packs where never manufactured with 1500 amp fuses. For a while, they took 1350 amp 85 packs and retrofitted the pyro fuse and inconel contactors but they ran out of those so now they only do V3 90 packs on P85DL replacements.
Moderator Note: Corrected information in post down thread.
Isn't that about 90 more kW of max power with virtually no weight penalty?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if the reason v9 hasn't installed on me is because I leave the drivers door open 100% the time I'm at home to reduce wear and tear cycles on the handle? I do keep the car locked at work but has anyone reported a force install during the day? I'll bet Tesla isn't doing that.
You can unplug a door handle and you will never be able to download the update too. Just helping a friend try to update and found out the bad door handle that was unplugged was the problem

Seems like we are getting a sprinkling of folks that are now starting to see range return between 8-10 miles thus far. For those with the CANBUS readers what changes have you seen in the total capacity has it gone up to 4.0 or higher? I am wondering if Tesla didn't put a fix in the last software 2019.28.2 that is slowing returning the range and what the cap will be. Even if range returns I still feel the lawsuit is very relevant to protect the rights of future consumers of EV. Tesla should not be able to just change the performance and capacity of batteries without explanation and if it's substantial reimburse the buyers.

Actually P85DL's get 90 packs now. 85 packs where never manufactured with 1500 amp fuses. For a while, they took 1350 amp 85 packs and retrofitted the pyro fuse and inconel contactors but they ran out of those so now they only do V3 90 packs on P85DL replacements.
Isn't that about 50 more kW of max power with virtually no weight penalty? (Previously I had thought it was 90 kW more but I was confusing specs for the 90V3 vs 100 pack).