Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I too have received the stock answer from Tesla that my vehicle is operating within normal limits for the age of my car. I have a 2013 Model P85 with 72Kmiles. Will now only charge to 195 miles @ 80%. Yield at 100% charge is 215 miles on a good day. Charging is very slow on supercharger. Tapers to 2KW for the last 10 miles which is not worth waiting for. Also at times gets close to end of charge and predicted time remaining to charge goal displays "calculating" and then never goes away. Had car to dealer as this change happened while in the garage during my vacation in Hawaii. Came home an suddenly lost about 10% capacity in battery. They ran diag's and said your car is within normal limits. Huh!! I have a neighbor who has too P85's with same problem.... happening at the same time. Come on Tesla fix this. I had to charge 3 times driving from Sacramento to LA.... and the charge tapers very quickly so much too much time at Supercharger. I want the money back I paid to upgrade my battery from a 60 to an 85.

Range loss and slower charge speed should be expected as the battery ages.
Might be time to trade up to get longer range, bigger battery and faster charge speeds.
I wish my iphone would last as long as it did when new but after two years it dies a lot quicker.
Time to trade up for new technology and battery.
Sorry but a car should not be considered as quickly disposable as a cellphone. A 2 year old car, I consider as practically new. A 6 year old car I consider relatively new... A 10 year old car I don't consider new but I don't consider it old either.

Last edited:
Sorry but a car should not be considered as quickly disposable as a cellphone. A 2 year old car, I consider as practically new. A 6 year old car I consider relatively new... A 10 year old car I don't consider new but I don't consider it old either.
In fact, my upgradeable Tesla car should even have better benchmarks than what i am used to thinking... so the benchmark that I mentioned before should be longer than what I previously stated because it is upgradeable with software and improved.

Might be time to trade up to get longer range, bigger battery and faster charge speeds.
I wish my iphone would last as long as it did when new but after two years it dies a lot quicker.
Over 3800 posts on this topic and we still have posts where people have completely missed the fundamental point of the thread. Or can’t be bothered to read into it.

Oh well, everyone is allowed an opinion, and everyone is allowed to voice that opinion. Fortunately there is no obligation on anyone else to agree with it.

If EV's are expected to lose a major chunk of their battery life after <5 years like smartphones, EV's are in trouble!

Couldn’t agree more.

I was planning on keeping my Model S for 6 years from new.

But now I’m not sure I’ll keep it beyond the original 4 year Tesla warranty.

That’s based on an impending potential MCU failure, door handles and a severely degraded battery pack and newly imposed slow Supercharging speeds.

Tesla have really started to take the shine off owning their vehicles.

I do wonder what’s going to happen M3 owners in 2-3 years time

My arbitration hearing decision:

6B8D347A-59ED-494A-B656-1E92FD7093E5.jpeg

Note the limitation of scope.

View attachment 444223

That is very disappointing. I wasn’t aware of the issue of the Manufacturer being given a 'reasonable number of attempts' to resolve the issue. How many times is deemed reasonable I wonder. Given the tone of their decision, I do also wonder what the form of words was on the complaint. Clearly, for others hoping to go down this route, it would seem wise to avoid:
Complaining about Range.
Complaining about loss of Energy (ie degradation).

Obviously helpful to focus on:
The sudden drop in capacity.
Clarifying why the sudden drop is not due to degradation
The Capping substantially impairing its use.
Capping has substantially affected the value of the vehicle.
Correcting the defects in the battery, ie why did they only cap some batteries and not others. It can only be because of a fault, or an impending fault.

Also worth looking at the issue they claim is outside the scope of that specific arbitration, ie the software update to extend the life of the battery whilst diminishing the capacity or performance without the permission of the owner.

View attachment 444223

Knowing pretty sure that you made it clear that this sudden loss is not the result of over time battery energy loss, the arbitrator astonishingly says this:

"I make this determination based on the fact that battery warranty specifically provides that loss of battery energy or power over time is not covered under such warranty."

How did the sudden get translated to over time?

Last edited:
How did the sudden get translated to over time?

What is the legal definition of "over time"? Is not 10 seconds passing "over time"? I think the "over time" modifier in the warranty is essentially worthless, and they could have just left it out and not made a difference.

Did the range loss happen instantly once the update was installed? Or did it happen after some period of time, like when the car was charging?

What is the legal definition of "over time"? Is not 10 seconds passing "over time"? I think the "over time" modifier in the warranty is essentially worthless, and they could have just left it out and not made a difference.

Did the range loss happen instantly once the update was installed? Or did it happen after some period of time, like when the car was charging?

In my case, I noticed it "instantly" during the next charging after the update was installed. To be precise, the duration, in my case, was very short time (as the time it takes the eye to blink or the heart to beat) ;)

I too have received the stock answer from Tesla that my vehicle is operating within normal limits for the age of my car. I have a 2013 Model P85 with 72Kmiles. Will now only charge to 195 miles @ 80%. Yield at 100% charge is 215 miles on a good day. Charging is very slow on supercharger. Tapers to 2KW for the last 10 miles which is not worth waiting for. Also at times gets close to end of charge and predicted time remaining to charge goal displays "calculating" and then never goes away. Had car to dealer as this change happened while in the garage during my vacation in Hawaii. Came home an suddenly lost about 10% capacity in battery. They ran diag's and said your car is within normal limits. Huh!! I have a neighbor who has too P85's with same problem.... happening at the same time. Come on Tesla fix this. I had to charge 3 times driving from Sacramento to LA.... and the charge tapers very quickly so much too much time at Supercharger. I want the money back I paid to upgrade my battery from a 60 to an 85.
Can you enter your info here and encourage your neighbor to do the same?
Tesla battery capacity loss with FW 2019.16.2

Would you please read the thread? This has NOTHING to do with degradation. It has EVERYTHING to do with Tesla sending an OTA update to take away 10-20% of the affected cars usable KW with no permission.

Interestingly a Ranger came out today to do some repairs, was talking about range, capacity etc.. with updates since 2019.16.x. Also mentioned ScanMyTesla diagnostics, hadn't heard about it before (apparently), and wanted to see what was available, he then compared values with his service app, because my MS was flagged as in service he could get access to all the data remotely, when we compared values he said they were pretty accurate... so Tesla can't say 3rd party app data is not accurate or valid !

He also said he was limited in what he could say, but said cell voltage had been 'Limited', as part of the battery re calibration process, due to battery degradation.. and also said range can vary anyway bla, bla, bla .. the usual excuse