Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you still getting range expressed in miles (kms) in the S? A friend just complained to me that on a recent update his older S with 70K miles switched from giving him distance to travel to % of capacity. He thinks it was done to hide the reduction in range that he suspects occurred simultaneously. % capacity remaining is not a direct measure of range. Maybe this is configurable by owner?

Are you still getting range expressed in miles (kms) in the S? A friend just complained to me that on a recent update his older S with 70K miles switched from giving him distance to travel to % of capacity. He thinks it was done to hide the reduction in range that he suspects occurred simultaneously. % capacity remaining is not a direct measure of range. Maybe this is configurable by owner?
Yes, this is configurable through the Display options. I'm not 100% sure the setting is there but it is somewhere. I've played with it.
You can also choose between Ideal and Rated miles I think. The more realistic one is Rated and will show lower range. This is from memory so the details may not be correct but pretty much that is what it is.

Reactions: DJRas

He must have been joking with you.

Settings->Display->Energy Display. "Energy" is %, "Distance" is miles.

Shanghai Apr 21. San Francisco May 3, Hong Kong May 15, Germany July 30.
Verion 2019.16.1.1 was deployed May 15
SF was a 2015 S 85

Any idea what year and battery size the other cars are? Also, do we know how long the cars sat before the fires started and the SOC of each car? I believe the car that caught fire in SF was sitting in the garage for about 28 hours and was not plugged into a charger during that time.

Doing a road trip and stopped at several superchargers. The slower charging is worse than the capping of the battery. To charge from 16 miles to 206 miles took 51 minutes. It started charging at 130 KW but by the time the car had 50 miles range it dropped significantly. By 150 miles of range on the car, charging was down to 33 KW.

At another charging session, starting with 70 miles of range on the car, charging started at 68 KW and went down fast from there.

Does the class action lawsuit include anything about the reduced charging rate?

Btw, I spoke to other Tesla owners at the superchargers. People notice the reduced charge rate but none of them knew anything about Tesla having done it intentionally. Nor did they know about the voltage capping. They just assumed the battery had degraded. I suspect the issues are more widespread than we think.

Doing a road trip and stopped at several superchargers. The slower charging is worse than the capping of the battery. To charge from 16 miles to 206 miles took 51 minutes. It started charging at 130 KW but by the time the car had 50 miles range it dropped significantly. By 150 miles of range on the car, charging was down to 33 KW.

At another charging session, starting with 70 miles of range on the car, charging started at 68 KW and went down fast from there.

Does the class action lawsuit include anything about the reduced charging rate?

Btw, I spoke to other Tesla owners at the superchargers. People notice the reduced charge rate but none of them knew anything about Tesla having done it intentionally. Nor did they know about the voltage capping. They just assumed the battery had degraded. I suspect the issues are more widespread than we think.

Great feedback.

Yes, the slow charging rate you are noticing matches my experience as well. Very frustrating since none of this was expected.

I also have the same experience with talking to other owners at the superchargers, some of whom seem to be capped but have no idea since they do not monitor their capacity and other car metrics as we do. Many are not even on this forum or any other forum. Yes, this is more widespread than we are led to believe.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V
Great feedback.

Yes, the slow charging rate you are noticing matches my experience as well. Very frustrating since none of this was expected.

I also have the same experience with talking to other owners at the superchargers, some of whom seem to be capped but have no idea since they do not monitor their capacity and other car metrics as we do. Many are not even on this forum or any other forum. Yes, this is more widespread than we are led to believe.

That is crazy that people would not know they lost mileage maybe we are just sharper? Or maybe most just use a percentage and not mileage to show the available battery? When I bought my car I researched it for a year about the correct model, range I wanted, and performance on threads like these. I did it because this was such a large investment. I guess if you make millions some don’t care?

Reactions: Guy V and DJRas
That is crazy that people would not know they lost mileage maybe we are just sharper? Or maybe most just use a percentage and not mileage to show the available battery? When I bought my car I researched it for a year about the correct model, range I wanted, and performance on threads like these. I did it because this was such a large investment. I guess if you make millions some don’t care?
There is a great debate on whether % display or miles display is better in the Instrument Binnacle. Personally I much prefer % (but I know many many owners that prefer miles) and I use it a bit like a fuel gauge. When it gets low I top it up. I don’t use miles as I never drive at the exact algorithm Consumption rate, so it might as well say 168 watermelons as 168 miles. Loss of Range became obvious quite quickly.

But for the many people that use % display, but also plug in at home every night so they start each day full, I can see why Capping might not be so obvious.

I also did months of research, and light years of YouTube watching to make sure I knew what I wanted. I concluded it was a S70, not an S60. Such a shame that Tesla now disagrees and have converted my 70 into a 60. Mommy knows best dear.

Does anyone know the model of the MS that caught fire in Germany?

Be useful to also know if the battery was capped or not. Because if it was capped, then it’s clear that a software “fix” using capping is not effective for safety.

The would leave battery replacement as the only safety option which would be a good result.

Reactions: Guy V and gmo43

A smaller number use percentage instead of RM. Some have not lost as much as 20, 30 miles and don't know much about the car to make big deal put of it. Some know but are not on any forum, have contacted Tesla and been given the same BS we have been given. I've even noticed some posters in other TMC threads, like range/miles threads, seem to have been impacted but have never come here to post.

Netflix just came out with series called Dirty Money Season 1 Episode 1 goes in depth about the lengths VW went to cover up emissions and how current German cars produce 40 times more emissions than are allowed. I think it’s relevant because it shows car companies cover stuff up and two good reasons to buy a Tesla with 0 emissions. Draw your own conclusions but pretty interesting what lengths companies go to cover stuff up for profit kind of sounds like Tesla is desperate now wouldn’t put it past them they are covering up boiling battery issues.