Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if @wk057 would be willing to comment on whether this news is surprising to him. Just wondering what his reaction is. ;)

The news isn't surprising. @DJRas filed a request for an investigation and the NHTSA has received the request, but hasn't yet decided to accept/deny it.

Anyone can request an investigation into anything. That in and of itself means nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and TJtv
Chiming in here with the caveat that I haven't read the prior 289 pages of this thread, so if I'm restating something that's been hashed and rehashed, please bear with me.

I have a 2015 P85 that had its battery replaced back in March/April of this year. The subsequent software update that is being discussed did nothing to reduce the car's range whatsoever. Is this because:
  • It's just random chance that my range wasn't affected, or
  • The fact that I had just obtained a new (refurbished) battery means that the software was written to take this into account and not reduce my range?
If it's the latter, is that evidence for/against the range reduction that folks are seeing being safety related? (IOW, if it's safety related due to a battery design flaw then it seems that I would be seeing a range reduction, too, no matter the total miles on my pack. I recognize that this argument is invalid if the safety issue comes about with age or mileage, however.)

Just wondering if my data point brings something new to the discussion.

What's your new battery, 85kWh or 90kWh?
85kWh

What's your firmaware version now?

What's your range @ 100% SoC now?
I don't know. I rarely charge to 100% and haven't since the replacement. The 90% mileage is 228 miles, which is virtually unchanged from the 229 mile 90% range in the years preceding the replacement.

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't say it's a random chance that your range hasn't been affected, considering there are 85kWh owners who report not being capped. My guess would be the battery "profile" of your replacement pack doesn't match the criteria (only known to Tesla) for capping to be imposed. And, I can't say just because you got a new/refurbished battery the update software was written to skip your pack from capping. The capping update was issued in mid-May and your replacement was in March/April of this year as you have mentioned.

The good news, and that's something you should breath a sigh of relief for, is that they have not capped your replacement pack.

Submitted complaint. Stated:

On or about June 24, 2019, my parked car's software was forcibly updated without my prior knowledge, without any prior notification and without my authorization. This forced software update reduced the nominal capacity of my battery from 74 kWh to 68 kWh. On June 23, 2019, my 100% state of charge (SOC) would charge each cell in my battery pack to 4.2 volts, resulting in a rated range of 257 miles. Upon entering my parked car on June 24, I discovered that Tesla "capped" the battery such that each cell would only charge to approximately 4.09 volts, resulting in a rated range of 226 miles at a 100% SOC, or a rated range loss of 30-31 miles.

Four Tesla cars that were parked recently caught fire. After the fourth fire, Tesla issued an over the air (OTA) software update preventing the full charging (e.g., to 4.2 volts for each cell) of the battery pack, limited the amount of current that can be "pulled" from the battery pack at any one time, resulting in a loss of acceleration. Tesla stated the update was "out of an abundance of caution" after the occurrence of several non-crash fires. Tesla unilaterally took this action of issuing a "fire-safety update" without informing the car owners of the reason for the update, why said update should be installed and the effect on the car once the update was installed. In my case, the update was forced on my parked car via an OTA update on June 23 (or 24) without prior notification to me nor requesting my approval nor informing me of the consequences of installing the update (reduced range, power, etc.), Tesla said that they were releasing a fire-safety update, but officially no safety update was released. See, for example:

Tesla pushes battery software update after recent fires

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-is-updating-battery-software-after-a-model-s-catc-1834794877

Furthermore, because I will have to charge to 100% SOC (really 98%) for this drive and I am currently at a hotel in Mobile, AL, I will have to waste at least an hour at the Mobile supercharger Sunday morning to charge the car from approximately 90% SOC (which I will do Saturday evening) to the 98% SOC as I don’t want a fully charged battery sitting overnight. This is time that could be better spent driving, or relaxing at the destination.
Go ahead and charge to 100% forever. It isn't really 100%!

It looks like our reports were noticed. If you haven't yet reported your software capped Tesla to the NHTSA, be sure to do so! If this is safety related, we need to know about it, and if it's a defect Tesla needs to be reminded they have warranty coverage obligations. They can't treat the NHTSA as dismissively as they treat us, so this should force some answers.

Technically it isn't an investigation yet. It is a request for an investigation and they have yet to deiced if they are going to grant or deny the request.

Still the wheels are in motion. We'll definately get an answer one way or another. Will it be gloom and doom, nothing to see here, or something in between?

I’m seeing interesting supercharger behavior in my degraded tesla-owned car today. In an unpaired stall, initially 10s of kW, but a drop to 7kW when someone plugged in to my paired stall. They left, and back to 10s of kWs.

Someone else connected to my paired stall, and a drop to 7kW, at about 70% charge. Estimate is 1 hr 10 mins to 90%. I plan to test that estimate.

You’re not paranoid if ....

Replying to my post:

sent this to [email protected]:

Redondo Beach Supercharger

2 of the stalls are not functional.

3 of us (85s) are seeing single digit kW rates.

Cars are lining up.

When is this going to be repaired?

Regards,
Zane

it bounced- no longer a monitored email account

never mind that it is listed as a contact many places on their website

Estimated 1 hour wait on line.

Furthermore, because I will have to charge to 100% SOC (really 98%) for this drive and I am currently at a hotel in Mobile, AL, I will have to waste at least an hour at the Mobile supercharger Sunday morning to charge the car from approximately 90% SOC (which I will do Saturday evening) to the 98% SOC as I don’t want a fully charged battery sitting overnight. This is time that could be better spent driving, or relaxing at the destination.
Why dont you charge in Slidell, LA. I did the same trip.

Reactions: Guy V and kavyboy
Replying to my post:

sent this to [email protected]:

Redondo Beach Supercharger

2 of the stalls are not functional.

3 of us (85s) are seeing single digit kW rates.

Cars are lining up.

When is this going to be repaired?

Regards,
Zane

it bounced- no longer a monitored email account

never mind that it is listed as a contact many places on their website

Estimated 1 hour wait on line.
Did you try calling the number on the supercharger itself? I have done that at stations in very poor condition. With cords hanging over the charger because the clip to hang the plug is broken. One cord was laying in a water puddle on the ground. Gives potential customers a bad taste if they drive by and see that. It's as if tesla doesn't care. It was customer service that made tesla successful via word of mouth. I wonder what the opposite will do from the same group of people now that customer service has vaporized?

Reactions: Newscutter
I would like very much to know where is this figure of 2000 cars came from? No one would know that other than Tesla itself. Could this be a cover attempt, and the actual number is much greater?

Attachments

• 92BA0276-9B06-45F6-9C5F-D22C034794D9.png
    92BA0276-9B06-45F6-9C5F-D22C034794D9.png
    511.5 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: Guy V and DJRas
Imagine, we pick a date, all affected owners march their cars with signs (pay back my kW, Tesla steals my mileage and performance, etc..) in front of Fremont factory and local sale galleries. Doing this will gain publicity, local news, and impact on prospective buyers, as well as unaware affected owners.
I have three models S (2014 S85, 2014 P85, 2015 P85D), all capped and chargegated. I’m in SoCal, and willing to protest in Fremont to make an impact.