Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
F7630084-ABF6-480B-896B-3CCF871B5103.jpeg
Under 240 Wh/mi is possible. I managed it exactly once driving to work in my P85D.
View attachment 470187
231 Wh/mile on an early summer morning, not running the AC, battery likely didn’t need heat or cooling, favorable traffic patterns, no Ludicrous, etc. Next best was 247 Wh/mi.

Edit: without using Ludicrous, I average 290 to 300 Wh/mi on my commute. April through October. I’m sure that will increase soon.

Winter is Coming.
Amateurs!

(sadly my 58,000 mile average is 327 Wh/mi)

You're a freak of nature though. What is your lifetime kW/mi now in the 230+ish? Although I think Tesla has changed their consumption formula as I've been driving much more efficiently than normal and has dropped my lifetime 1kW/mi recently.
The MCU was swapped out the day of the photo, so lifetime is now lost (without math). Also I don't have a commute right now so results are higher. For good results a 25+ mile commute (one way) is needed, preferably with asymmetrical routes.

Reactions: Droschke
It is important that people understand there are 3 terms.
Rated Range - this is a figure used by Tesla and is virtually unachievable. It’s a simple algorithm calculation based on the amount of charge left in the battery. Not regarded by ANYBODY as in any way representative of real world figures.
Typical Range - again derived from a fixed algorithm so it will not take any outside factors into account, like driving style, temperature, geography. This is a figure much closer to reality, and whilst it is achievable, it does require gentle driving in 'standard' weather conditions.
Projected Range - this is taken from the Energy App in the Main Screen. This takes into account the driving style from the last 5/15/30 miles (you select which one). When used in conjunction with a Sat Nav route, or a selected destination, it also factors in geography (the more knowledgable will be able to confirm whether or not it takes temperature into account) so is, IMO, a much more accurate estimate. But they are all estimates.

Rated on the P85D is 320 wh/mile. My average is 302 over the last 15K miles driving 10 miles an hour over the speed limit:

i-ScZFHwL-L.jpg

When I'm a little careful and drive the speed limit I can get even better than Ideal(remember this is the performance model which is less efficient). This was from work to home with a net increase in elevation of about 200 feet and a mountain pass along the route (Pacheco pass on 152)

i-hHkTxmR-L.jpg

And to show it's not a fluke, another one but going through Livermore to get to Merced in stead of Pacheco Pass:

i-FwQwCMt-L.jpg

Last edited:
I have not posted for a while but was successful in getting my battery replaced due to the reduction in range and the fact I just bought in May which I stated earlier here. And the help of the local service folks.

They installed a 90 pack mileage at 90% was 247 miles so much better than 219 I had before total 100% estimate is about 274 I won’t be charging that high. Tesla also rebadged my car to a 90D.

I feel for those affected it’s looking like this may be long and drawn out from the lack of info from Tesla. Even some of the local techs I spoke with didn’t even hear about that battery reduction .
Great information thanks

Nice! It sounds like you actually got upgraded. 274 is above what a full 85 will do. This is s good solution, let's see if we can get Tesla to apply it to everyone who got capped :)

I was told, when they needed to replace my S 60 battery that if they couldn't source another 60 battery and they put in a bigger one; they would not cap it, and you just get the upgrade for free. They found a 60 for me, but it looks like that is what happened in this case.

• Informative
You said 240 miles when new and it's 226 now in the other thread. What were your 100% range and your software update versions before/after hearing the noise?
Before the software fully charge is 238 miles, after software update its down to 226 miles and the fan running make it loss 1 mile per hour, and fan keep running non stop for the whole while I parked the car inside garage.

• Informative
There is a great debate on whether % display or miles display is better in the Instrument Binnacle. Personally I much prefer % (but I know many many owners that prefer miles) and I use it a bit like a fuel gauge. When it gets low I top it up. I don’t use miles as I never drive at the exact algorithm Consumption rate, so it might as well say 168 watermelons as 168 miles. Loss of Range became obvious quite quickly.

I also stick with displaying battery percent rather than range. The range number displayed is total fiction. The battery percent displayed is just about half of my range. Worse, my displayed range has not nearly tracked with my battery degradation. Displayed full charge range is just about as it was when new (275-280 miles). But my useable battery capacity is about 73-74 kwh.

• Informative
Before the software fully charge is 238 miles, after software update its down to 226 miles and the fan running make it loss 1 mile per hour, and fan keep running non stop for the whole while I parked the car inside garage.

That' exactly what happened to my car (the cooling system running mentioned in the other thread). But, I got capped with 30 miles loss right after.

I don't have access to the diagnostics port of my 2013 P85 (180k Kms), but do suspect it's been capped.

So over the last few weeks I've been keeping track of what the MCU shows as energy consumption during driving and energy uptake during charging. Extrapolating these to 100% I get roughly:

- 73 to 74 kWh to CHARGE 0% to 100%
- 63 to 65 kWh to DRIVE 100% to 0%

This difference doesn't surprise me but now I'm unsure what should be my reference. I am aware there's always been a buffer of 4 kWh within the nominal capacity of 81.5 kWh so if the CHARGING figure is the reference, I'd assume the difference of ~4 kWh to be normal degradation.

If however the reference is the DRIVING consumption, then that'd mean a loss of almost 15 kWh (18%) which strongly suggests capping.

Can someone please clarify this? Thanks!

You can disagree with my post, but show us the proof that capping was the fix for the fires. It's just circumstantial evidence, at best. We're assuming the capping was the fix. It's a reasonable assumption, but not proven. Ergo speculation, not proven fact. There are other changes that likely help as well. Cooling fans are running faster and more often, the coolant pumps are running more, etc.
So I haven't seen that noted elsewhere (maybe (I missed it), when I charge my P85D over 90% (supercharger or not, doesn't matter) the coolant pump runs for hours (yes hours!) with the car otherwise sitting idle. It is a problem because it knocks off available kms just sitting there. I only charge over 90% before a long trip and now I can't delay between charging and driving or I just lose the kms again. Have raised with Tesla, they say car is behaving "normally".