Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure that using the energy capacity method calculations you get the buffer
Included? It makes no sense to include the buffer on the projected range.
Yes, I am sure it includes the buffer. It has been corroborated by BMS interrogating Software (eg TMSpy and Scan My Tesla). I have a MS70. Using the Energy capacity method it comes out at 60 kWhs. When I use TMSpy it comes out with 60.9 Nominal Full Pack and 56.9 Usable Full Pack, and 4.0 Energy Buffer.

And yes, it doesn’t make sense to include it in Projected Range, (unless you want to give the impression that the car has more range than it actually does.)
748494E9-1124-4C37-996F-FBA6B2B57271.png

Last edited:
Thanks Ferrycraigs. If that is true then my 2018 model S is in bad shape as well. We have about 32,000 miles on it and max rated range at 100% is only 233 miles, which was 259 when it was new. Energy capacity method confirms ten percent loss if the buffer is included in the range prediction. I have been watching this thread since the beginning and hoping things turn out well for everyone.

I'm starting to think that if Tesla could force a remote install of v10 over my v8 they'd have done it by now. I wonder if they added this ability at some point and that perhaps the ability to force install staged software requires the current software to have that ability and that perhaps mine is too old to have that ability. I guess it's possible that leaving the rear door handle fuse out really does work.

Nope. I was on the same version of V8 that you were on, and they got me. Strange thing is I was off of wifi, and after the update, I was connected again. Hmmmm :confused: Maybe should have changed my password.

Last edited:
Thanks Ferrycraigs. If that is true then my 2018 model S is in bad shape as well. We have about 32,000 miles on it and max rated range at 100% is only 233 miles, which was 259 when it was new. Energy capacity method confirms ten percent loss if the buffer is included in the range prediction. I have been watching this thread since the beginning and hoping things turn out well for everyone.
That is a lot of range loss for only a 2-year-old car, beyond “normal” degradation.

Do you know your max voltage when you charge to 100%?

I don't think that the cars display of full charge range means much of anything. Mine (2016 90D) shows nearly the same 280 miles that it did when new. Despite the fact that the usable battery capacity is about 72 kwh and maximum attainable range is about 220 miles.

Hi all. I’m trying to confirm my voltage readings using TM-Spy (for Apple)

I connected can3 harness to the dongle to the OBDLink Mx+, then I opened the TM SPY app. The app just continues to say “searching”.

I deselected my WiFi setting so that everything is in Bluetooth mode.

Any ideas of what I’m doing wrong?

Why does it have to be some conspiracy theory? Maybe they made a mistake or miscalculation and now it is coming to light. I'm sure we can agree that it is their responsibility to make us whole. We can all continue to speculate till the cows come home but what we need is a remedy to our cars being downgraded. Speculation and conspiracy theories are limitless... we just need Tesla to step up and replace these crippled batteries. Sadly, a lawsuit to get satisfaction looks to be our remedy.
Well, there definitely is a conspiracy within Tesla to harm thousands of customers and they are as secret about it as they can be. But long ago they said this - A Bit About Batteries - regarding capping for longevity... and now they illegally cap and won't explain why this time but they are already on the record explaining they know exactly what they did.

They made an expensive mistake charging to 4.2v and not honoring the warranties we all paid for when they realized their mistake was dangerous and costly. They made a much more expensive mistake trying to defraud all of us after the sale. They have burned a lot of goodwill with owners and now we see bad publicity from capped owners in all sorts of places.

Half our country is on fire, and it's only the start of the fire season. My range has been reduced by 30km and it takes an hour at a Supercharger to charge from 20-80%. I've tweeted Elon to see if he will temporarily lift restrictions on affected Australian cars like he does when there's a natural disaster in North America. I'm not holding my breath though.

Nope. I was on the same version of V8 that you were on, and they got me. Strange thing is I was off of wifi, and after the update, I was connected again. Hmmmm :confused: Maybe should have changed my password.
This is interesting because someone else menbtioned after a forced update they were on a neighbor's Xfinity wifi, so it really does sound like tesla is manually hacking these downgrades.

Illegal computer access is one of the named counts of the class action.

Half our country is on fire, and it's only the start of the fire season. My range has been reduced by 30km and it takes an hour at a Supercharger to charge from 20-80%. I've tweeted Elon to see if he will temporarily lift restrictions on affected Australian cars like he does when there's a natural disaster in North America. I'm not holding my breath though.
Nice one ;-) More Australian should tweet to Elon with this request
I guess you don't have problem with to low regen/or battery refuses to charge due to low temp.........

Has anyone examined module voltage deltas under load? My modules are within a few mv, at both low and hi SOC, but when I look at module deltas under load, I see almost 500mv at 500A. Defective cells/modules or sampling artifacts?

View attachment 494547

I have seen 200 mV max difference at 1500 amps on my unaffected (by batterygate/voltage capping) P90DL. On logs from a capped car I have seen 300 mV max difference at 500 amps.

I haven't studied in depth - voltage delta seem to be "large" on load and also under regen conditions - on the small samples I have seen. My limited knowledge and experience does not allow me to state whether this is "normal" or not.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
I would say try and resist the temptation to mix capacity and range and then draw conclusions. The capacity calculation just gives you the capacity of the battery. It can’t be altered or the figures skewed. It’s pretty accurate. The range figure is just a calculation of the remaining charge divided by an algorithm consumption figure (which is totally within Tesla's control). Personally I only use the range at 100% figure once per year, then only to compare it with last year’s figure. As the range figure does not take into account driving style, geography, weather etc, I find it’s only a very rough figure. In nearly 60,000 miles I haven’t managed to drive at the algorithm consumption rate, or anywhere close. So if I want a more realistic range estimate, I look at the Projected Range figure from the Energy App. And I now know that even that figure is dodgy as it includes the 4kWh buffer, which for me is about 12 miles.

:)
I'm starting to think that if Tesla could force a remote install of v10 over my v8 they'd have done it by now. I wonder if they added this ability at some point and that perhaps the ability to force install staged software requires the current software to have that ability and that perhaps mine is too old to have that ability. I guess it's possible that leaving the rear door handle fuse out really does work.

At some point I'm going to have a real battery or DU issue that will result in my firmware being updated. Hopefully it's a battery issue before DU issue but I'm 106K miles on both original DUs. How long can they last on a Ludicrous performance model?

as to the last question: with your documented mo you surely are the guinea pig here :), so we will wait for you to answer that question in due time...

• Funny
Reactions: Guy V and sorka