Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good info. Thanks.

But, I still don't understand why we can no longer have our batteries pre-heated via the Tesla mobile app climate control (by turning the heat inside the cabin on) and especially when the car is still plugged in! This was a useful feature which no longer works.

On Edit: Are you saying if I'm one hour from a Supercharger and set the navigation destination to that supercharger, the battery gets heated only 10 minutes before arrival? In other words, no battery heating for the first 50 minutes?

interestingly enough, preheating battery via Climate control works with Model 3.
There is a way how to preheat Model S or X though.
(Works on my 2019.40.2.2).
If you turn on charging about 30 minutes before departure the car will first use about 6 kW of power to heat up the battery first and only after that it will start charging. It will give you about 60% regen when the temperature outside is around 0 degrees C.

interestingly enough, preheating battery via Climate control works with Model 3.
There is a way how to preheat Model S or X though.
(Works on my 2019.40.2.2).
If you turn on charging about 30 minutes before departure the car will first use about 6 kW of power to heat up the battery first and only after that it will start charging. It will give you about 60% regen when the temperature outside is around 0 degrees C.
At the current temp. the battery heater in my car turns on 10min before arrival. My guess is that 30C is target temp. Might be that lower temp will result in more pre-heating to reach 30C on arrival.

The batteri has to be - my guess - below 5C - before the battery heater turns on. I have only seen it 1 time, and there the battery temp was 1,4C - here a charging session with 10kW - data from ScanMyTesla

Attachments

• 4288-Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 09.08.23.jpg
    4288-Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 09.08.23.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 77
Forgive me as I’m late to this party and haven’t been able to read through all of the posts.

I’ve always been concerned with battery degradation and even researched prior to purchase to try and mitigate this, from the start.

I don’t do much if any supercharging and I maintain the battery between 20-80%. It only became alarming during the summer (I believe) when my 80% charged was not cutting it and I had to bump my charge up to 90% as miles in tank suddenly dropped and my round trip commute was suddenly closing in on 20%. This change in my battery seemed very sudden and I chalked it up as the luck of the draw as I felt I had taken care of my battery.

From one of the posts I used the formula (avg consumption X projected range / % left in tank). I came up with 65,984.84.... on a Tesla S 75D. Mine was purchased in Dec 2017 (face lifted version). I tend to drive more aggressively then most Tesla’s. Not sure if my driving characteristics have created a condition X or Z, which Tesla identified and in turn capped. As I have Supercharged maybe 20 times in 2 years.

thanks for any input!

I have a May 2018 S75D with about 34,000 miles on it. My current battery capacity is about the same as yours as measured on CAN bus and by calculation. We verified that the battery is not capped and is charging to 4.2 V. I have found other threads where many other owners report similar rated range for S75D. It seems that the 75 kWh battery typically experiences this much degradation. Disappointing, but is a different issue from the topic of this thread.

I have a May 2018 S75D with about 34,000 miles on it. My current battery capacity is about the same as yours as measured on CAN bus and by calculation. We verified that the battery is not capped and is charging to 4.2 V. I have found other threads where many other owners report similar rated range for S75D. It seems that the 75 kWh battery typically experiences this much degradation. Disappointing, but is a different issue from the topic of this thread.

Thanks for stating the facts, something we painfully and repeatedly have pointed out to the detractors in this thread. The fact that there is a perfectly clear difference between the normal degradation of the cars' batteries (your car as well as possibly @T3SLA_S) and the manufacturer imposed voltage capping which has impacted so many owners present in this thread and beyond. Your car has lost capacity normally due to the gradual and expected degradation since it still charges to 4.2v/cell. The batterygate packs have lost that same normal degradation, some less some more, as others in addition to a sudden range loss due to an imposed software limit on their vMax to below 4.2v/cell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy V and Chaserr
Since 40.2 I've seen a very steady drop in range !.. lost 2 miles since 9th Jan, lost 11 miles in total since November. Been charging from around 40% to 75%.. and not been any higher since the new year.

I thought the whole point of voltage capping was to reduce battery degradation? I guess not !.. I'm not far from where we was when we first lost the range in May ! :(

I've also looked at TM-spy, at 48%, cell 25 looks like it's on the downward slide !?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200123-225544_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-225544_Samsung Internet.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20200123-180712_TM-Spy.jpg
    Screenshot_20200123-180712_TM-Spy.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I thought the whole point of voltage capping was to reduce battery degradation? I
the point was to stop fires. They once mentioned capacity loss as something they were using as an excuse but haven't for a long time because lying to owners about a recall is worse than just hiding it.

Muggings protect you from misplacing your money.

Just got ScanMyTesla and hooked up to check out my BMS. So far 100 SoC reaches 4.1v and my total capacity is 74kwh. Usable is 70kwh. Noticed Module 7 has lower voltages and 8 stays warmer than the rest. Shows the maximum charge rate as upper 80s but the pack is qualified to run 120kw on supercharging according to the model number on the pack. Has anyone with a P85DL or P85D gotten one of the new replacement packs? My P85D won’t take a 350V pack so I wonder what they will use.

Attachments

• CF0CEFB2-D3D5-4E92-8CA2-6FE43DDCE028.png
    CF0CEFB2-D3D5-4E92-8CA2-6FE43DDCE028.png
    125.5 KB · Views: 59
  • B15D74C0-7605-4083-8A28-F8BFA0331439.png
    B15D74C0-7605-4083-8A28-F8BFA0331439.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 7D87F13D-0BE5-4941-9683-FC4D82F0C499.jpeg
    7D87F13D-0BE5-4941-9683-FC4D82F0C499.jpeg
    460.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Informative
Reactions: DJRas and Droschke
My P85D won’t take a 350V pack so I wonder what they will use.

Excuses mostly. Lose some weight, don't used the AC or heat, et cetera. If you keep pestering them maybe they'll tell you "tough luck you're in a test group we can't fix"

After recall, it could be anything. 100 if all the 85/90 packs are impacted by the same flaw. A reman 85/90 if they can fix it. I don't think they would have created a new 85 if it could be fixed easily so cross your fingers for a year while the government and courts sort this out.

MP3mike marked this post "read"

Last edited:
Just got ScanMyTesla and hooked up to check out my BMS. So far 100 SoC reaches 4.1v and my total capacity is 74kwh. Usable is 70kwh. Noticed Module 7 has lower voltages and 8 stays warmer than the rest. Shows the maximum charge rate as upper 80s but the pack is qualified to run 120kw on supercharging according to the model number on the pack. Has anyone with a P85DL or P85D gotten one of the new replacement packs? My P85D won’t take a 350V pack so I wonder what they will use.
Are you able to say why your car can’t take a 350V pack? Are you talking about a physical fit, or some other area? I assumed all batteries would physically fit all cars, but wiring looms etc may vary.

At the current temp. the battery heater in my car turns on 10min before arrival. My guess is that 30C is target temp. Might be that lower temp will result in more pre-heating to reach 30C on arrival.

The batteri has to be - my guess - below 5C - before the battery heater turns on. I have only seen it 1 time, and there the battery temp was 1,4C - here a charging session with 10kW - data from ScanMyTesla
I believe heating is on, if battery temp is below 8 celsius.

Are you able to say why your car can’t take a 350V pack? Are you talking about a physical fit, or some other area? I assumed all batteries would physically fit all cars, but wiring looms etc may vary.
I'm assuming he means the P85D won't reach it's full performance potential with a lower voltage pack.