Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Ferrycraigs!

Thanks fo the reply. I remembered that I have an AAA premier membership, which allowed for a free tow to the serice station, where I think it is now. HOWEVER, last night, , which is when I tried to access the vehicle location after it was dropped off at the Tesla dealership, the SOC populated green at 63% and the location showed my driveway, whichis where it shows that car located, by the iphone app..

This AM, charge reports 62% and AFAIK, no one was at the dealership last night when it was dropped off.

BTW, I did, I guess luckily, buy the extended warranty, so that runs through a few more years.

Thank you very much

FURY

Last edited:
My Post from higher in this thread

"Hi All!

I have a 2014 S85 32K miles, that took 2hours 37 minutes to charge from 11% to 98 % (set to 100% however). rated miles @ 98%-231miles. checked yesterday at 68% charge and I had lost 19% battery capacity.

Today I saw several warning messages on the instrument cluster with yellow flashing triangles:

Regenerative Braking Disabled
Traction Control Disabled-drive with Caution
Emergency Braking Disabled
Stability Control Disabled-Drive with Caution
Park Assist Disabled
AutoSteer Disabled
ABS Disabled

The first message was the Regenerative Braking Disabled, which made me think of a battery issue. Any advice/comment?"

Service responded by remote testing my battery and said "...no problem..."

YESTERDAY I again "Supercharged" at the same supercharger location, different stall and was the only TESLA vehicle there. I started at
47% SOC - 33kWand finished at 74% - 31kW, with an interim max of 36kW through the 34 minute episode , delivering 19 Kwh. Iheard a high pitch whistling noise throught the session , as I had for the 1st 15 minutes and last 1.5 hours of the preceding session.

This AM,I nted 64% SOC on my phone app. I got into the car early THIS AFTERNOON and saw three messages on the instrument cluster.

Need service car may not start
Car needs service pull over safely
Power reduced vehicle systems shutting down

The displays then went black and won't power up on entering the car.

I have been trying to get TESLA to set a greater than two hour evaluation appointment, with all the ablove, but they wouldn't do taht for weeks. Now they want me to have the car towed to the service center 66 miles away at my expense, which MAY be reimbursed, depending on what they find and say...

Any advice?

Thank you very much

FURY
Have it towed in. Obviously there is a problem and you need it diagnosed to determine the next step regardless. The sooner the better. Even if it temporarily goes away would you trust it to be reliable? It would be interesting if they have to replace the pack after they said all was fine with it. I suspect you may have more than one issue perhaps battery and something else or maybe just something simple like a corroded connection. Do they use salt on the roads where you live?

Reactions: Droschke
Hi Ferrycraigs!

Thanks fo the reply. I remembered that I have an AAA premier membership, which allowed for a free tow to the serice station, where I think it is now. HOWEVER, last night, , which is when I tried to access the vehicle location after it was dropped off at the Tesla dealership, the SOC populated green at 63% and the location showed my driveway, whichis where it shows that car located, by the iphone app..

This AM, charge reports 62% and AFAIK, no one was at the dealership last night when it was dropped off.

BTW, I did, I guess luckily, but the extended warranty, so that runs through a few more years.

Thank you very much

FURY
Hi, I recently had an eMMC failure, where my Main Screen only went black. The car would drive, just. But only the pedals worked. Perhaps importantly, even though I was able to drive my car the 9 miles to the Tesla Service Centre, my App showed my car’s location as being still at my house. Sounds the same as yours. The App would also show my Charge State, but no of the functions (lights, horn etc) worked. Also I have heard the wheels need to turn for the App to follow it. Cars that have been flatbedded often still show the old location. Not good if the ca has been stolen.

On the positive side, Tesla were able to resurrect the screen by double loading the latest firmware. Often that doesn’t work, but fingers crossed. I am now getting my eMMC Chip replaced privately, at one fifth the cost of a Tesla MCU Replacement. Tesla have been known to quibble about whether the eMMC failure is a Warranty Issue or not. Personally I can’t see how it can’t be. It is not a customer usable piece of equipment. If the Chip is too small, which apparently it is, then that’s hardly the customers fault. And it’s Tesla that decided to save all this useless, unneeded data to the disc. (The log data is saved elsewhere.)

Good luck!

Hi ALL!

I believe salt is used on the roads, where I currently live, buthave only been here for 1.5 winters with very low snow/ice amounts.

OTOH, my vehicle's MCU has been replaced previously, when I lived in So. California and I noted the same sort of issues in the last year, with the dieplay screens that preceded MCU failure previously. Tesla analyzed the vehicle in some manner and said the MCU was fine. I don't kow enough about electrical/charge increases, surges, failures, low voltages with these cars, but it does seem to me that motherboards go outwit such electrical voltage, amperage issues on computers...

Thank you very much

FURY

My immediate reaction is I think the very slow charging is a completely different issue to all the Warnings.

I had one of those 'all warnings known to man' situation. The car wouldn’t drive, but it also wouldn’t shut down, so I couldn’t drive it, but I couldn’t lock it (it froze during the shutdown sequence). The next morning the signs were still there. Manoeuvring the car to somewhere that a flatbed could get at it, must have nudged the car, which suddenly started working again. Tesla had the car for a couple of weeks. In the end they decided it was most likely a slightly bent pin in a multi pin connector. They replaced the entire harness. The problem hasn’t come back, but I have never been convinced that 2+2=4 in this instance.

I had the exact same issue when I was visiting Boston. Tesla told me there was a bad connector to the BMS that they replaced. Supposedly, there is a TSB on the matter. I was dubious about the fix, but the car gas worked for 6 months since the connector was replaced.

No Tesla employees are acknowledging the slow supercharging issue. Always have another excuse.

I brought it up at the service center in Buena Park, CA in Nov 2017 and they told me that reduced charge rate at the supercharger is just what happens when the car gets older. I sent them over specific data and detailed graphs showing how it got slower over time. They knew I was very much aware of variations due to paired stalls, SoC, temperature and so on. They knew that blah bah wouldn't work on me. So they just admitted that's what happens as your car gets older.

My Post from higher in this thread

"Hi All!

I have a 2014 S85 32K miles, that took 2hours 37 minutes to charge from 11% to 98 % (set to 100% however). rated miles @ 98%-231miles. checked yesterday at 68% charge and I had lost 19% battery capacity.

Today I saw several warning messages on the instrument cluster with yellow flashing triangles:

Regenerative Braking Disabled
Traction Control Disabled-drive with Caution
Emergency Braking Disabled
Stability Control Disabled-Drive with Caution
Park Assist Disabled
AutoSteer Disabled
ABS Disabled

The first message was the Regenerative Braking Disabled, which made me think of a battery issue. Any advice/comment?"

Service responded by remote testing my battery and said "...no problem..."

YESTERDAY I again "Supercharged" at the same supercharger location, different stall and was the only TESLA vehicle there. I started at
47% SOC - 33kWand finished at 74% - 31kW, with an interim max of 36kW through the 34 minute episode , delivering 19 Kwh. Iheard a high pitch whistling noise throught the session , as I had for the 1st 15 minutes and last 1.5 hours of the preceding session.

This AM,I nted 64% SOC on my phone app. I got into the car early THIS AFTERNOON and saw three messages on the instrument cluster.

Need service car may not start
Car needs service pull over safely
Power reduced vehicle systems shutting down

The displays then went black and won't power up on entering the car.

I have been trying to get TESLA to set a greater than two hour evaluation appointment, with all the ablove, but they wouldn't do taht for weeks. Now they want me to have the car towed to the service center 66 miles away at my expense, which MAY be reimbursed, depending on what they find and say...

Any advice?

Thank you very much

FURY

So I was in a similar situation with my "charge level reduced" P85. The earliest appointment they could get me was for the 30th. The mobile service tech suggested I just drop my car off at the service center and they'd work it in as soon as they could, which is what happened--I had it towed up there and the started processing it the next morning. I should have an answer back on what they are dong with the car by Monday vs waiting until the 30th just total the car in.

If you car it not drivable or you don't have enough range to get to the SC, you are kinda stuck fronting the towing fee, which they will reimburse if the fault is something cover by by some warranty. Two piece of advice, use roadside assistance to dispatch the towing--it was actually a pretty painless experience and there is no argument about their pricing after the fact. Also, text vs call, that way you have a written record of what was said, committed. For example, I have it in writing that the SC will cover my towing fee if the HV pack is found to be at fault.

By texting, you mean use the Tesla app to send a message to the Roadside Assistance? If yes, how quickly they text back?

Roadside assistance was quick--I'd say maybe 15 min from me using the app to having someone dispatched--mostly back and forth where they informed me of the price, etc and that I new I was paying for it up front.

I actually meant something else--our service center, both the physical location and the mobile techs, use SMS pretty extensively to communicate, provide updates etc. The always give me the option of phone or SMS updated and I usually opt for the later because I am on the phone all day at work and because SMS provides me a record. The only downside of SMS is that the response time is not as quick as phone calls.

Recently I got an error message at Superchargers 'Unable to DC fast charge'. It happened at different locations and sometimes when I plug in and sometimes in the middle of a charge session. It happened too many times recently to be random. Anyone else getting this message?
This might be due to your failure to properly torque the charge port connector when you repaired it. Fixing a broken charge port pin

This might be due to your failure to properly torque the charge port connector when you repaired it. Fixing a broken charge port pin

I don't think it's the port or anything mechanical. My battery is dying and those are signs of it happening. If it was that it wouldn't say 'DC charging'. A poor connection would trigger the system to reduce AC charging as well and cause a different error message.

Hi, I recently had an eMMC failure, where my Main Screen only went black. The car would drive, just. But only the pedals worked. Perhaps importantly, even though I was able to drive my car the 9 miles to the Tesla Service Centre, my App showed my car’s location as being still at my house. Sounds the same as yours. The App would also show my Charge State, but no of the functions (lights, horn etc) worked. Also I have heard the wheels need to turn for the App to follow it. Cars that have been flatbedded often still show the old location. Not good if the ca has been stolen.

On the positive side, Tesla were able to resurrect the screen by double loading the latest firmware. Often that doesn’t work, but fingers crossed. I am now getting my eMMC Chip replaced privately, at one fifth the cost of a Tesla MCU Replacement. Tesla have been known to quibble about whether the eMMC failure is a Warranty Issue or not. Personally I can’t see how it can’t be. It is not a customer usable piece of equipment. If the Chip is too small, which apparently it is, then that’s hardly the customers fault. And it’s Tesla that decided to save all this useless, unneeded data to the disc. (The log data is saved elsewhere.)

Good luck!
Which private party did you go with?

15 miles consumption projected miles = 103miles using 464 wh/mile (over last 15 miles) with battery at 68%.

464 x 103 = 51,054 (Divided by State of charge at 68% so divide by 0.68) 47,792/70 = 70.28 kwh battery capacity.

So out of 81kwh from new (S85 is actually 81kwh) I have roughly 70kwh of battery left which includes the 4kwh buffer so actual battery capacity available is 66 kWh is this a FAILED/impending combustible battery??

66 kWh available (not including 4kwh buffer) after 32,250 miles 2014 Nov S85 and 2.5 hours to charge from 11% to 98% (although set to 100%. I also heard a high pitched whistling during first 20 minutes and last1h 15 min of "supercharging." Are these FAILED measures for the 85 battery that others have experienced (or maybe not this severe) and received a replacement battery?

Is it justifiable for TESLA to say that there is no issue with my battery by remote testing?

Thank you very much

FURY
Fury,
I’m in the same boat as you and others. I’ve ran the formula and ran my diagnostics using TM-Spy for the first time, and I to get around 72kWh.

When I argued this point with my SC, all they said was, and I’m paraphrasing, the methods I used to come to my conclusion are not methods approved by Tesla.

Reactions: Chaserr
Fury,
I’m in the same boat as you and others. I’ve ran the formula and ran my diagnostics using TM-Spy for the first time, and I to get around 72kWh.

When I argued this point with my SC, all they said was, and I’m paraphrasing, the methods I used to come to my conclusion are not methods approved by Tesla.

So 2 + 2 no longer equals 4 unless Tesla says it does? Tell them to pull up the BMS data themselves, while you are there, and show you where you went wrong. Maybe play dumb and confused, so they think they can snow you with the data, kinda like Columbo, " umm excuse me Sir, I can't really understand this stuff, but maybe you could help explain it to me a little bit ".

Last edited: