Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a scare this morning. Notified by Teslafi car went offline for more than 5 minutes (my alarm). Went to check it out. MCU completely blank. No boot cycle or anything. After a few minutes I finally gave it the two fingered salute and it came back up first time with no reboot cycle.

I've never seen it completely dead before. I've had some scary reboot cycles and even once where it cycled for a half hour until I did a manual two finger reset.

Not a fluke. It's happened twice more where it requires a manual reboot. Plus every day for the last 5 days or so, it's been rebooting spontaneously 2 or 3 times a day. It always comes back up and is fine even playing my podcast or whatever exactly where it left off.

I'll probably try a factory reset as a last resort. Usually the MCUs do mini reboot loops when they're going bad and have other glitches. I'm not having any other issues except for going dark or the random reboot when getting back in the car. It never happens while I'm driving. I'm slightly paranoid that Tesla may be manually rebooting it to bug me into installing the update. If they could force the update remotely they would have done it by now. Or they're actually trying to install it but the rear door handle fuse removal is working as reported by a few others.

If it doesn't get any worse, I can live with it the way it is now.

View attachment 515247 Here is my current battery report. I'm out of luck in terms of comparing it to the fleet as I have way more miles.

So you have over 270k miles and seem to have more than 70% of original 265 range available, even accounting for inability to get to 100%? right?

265 * .7 = 185 miles

A good data point.

I wonder if any other EVs provide > 70% of original range after > 250k miles.

During the picking up yesterday, I had one of the tech drove with me and we did several 0-60 testing, I have to say the acceleration is actually better than the loaner (12/13 S85) they gave me and doesn't seem that loaner is capped by the batterygate. Can't really tell if it's better than pre-batterygate, but at least didn't lose performance with 350v.

Another thing is the average Wh/mi with the new pack is slightly higher than the older one, around 400Wh/mi based on my ~40 miles of driving yesterday, but that could be because of the weather and elevation (45F, rain), will need more driving to get more data.
Loaners I have gotten have been performance limited by service center. Might that have been the case?

Reactions: Droschke
Been tracking this thread since it started, my battery was hit by the batterygate pretty bad, with a "full charge" which I never got even close of 217mi. In reality, the battery barely charges past 208mi.

Got the "Max battery charge level reduced" message a couple of weeks ago and finally got my car back with a replaced battery. The part# shows that the replacement is the 85kWh Tesla recently released, However, the range (~290 mi) is nowa lot better than the original one even when it was new.
View attachment 515042

Wow, so you are now getting 290 miles at 100% SoC? That’s awesome. I bought my used 2015 S85D last April and was getting 243 miles at 90% SoC. Now 10 months later. I’m only getting 267 miles at 100% charge, about a 1% loss. 240 at 90%.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy V
Mine's at the SC right now for "Car needs service, may not restart" and "Acceleration and top speed reduced" errors. I was hoping for the magical "Battery charge level reduced" or whatever it is. Sounds like a battery heater issue. Probably out of warranty. Sinking more money into this car that is becoming less and less usable.

I did mention while there about the abysmal supercharging rates now, and got a relative shoulder shrug.

Sigh.

I have an April 2014 build MS85. I have had a similar experience to many on this thread. Prior to downloading the infamous software last May, I was still getting 250 miles of range. I was happy with the 5% degradation in five years. Immediately after the download, I can’t seem to get more than 210 miles, as well as the charge times being much longer.
Forgive my ignorance, but how does one go about getting the battery pack replaced? Do you have to be proactive about it or is it similar to a normal recall where I will be notified by Tesla sometime in the future?
Thanks!

This my battery report against fleet (MS60)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200225-233745_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200225-233745_Samsung Internet.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 81
Mine's at the SC right now for "Car needs service, may not restart" and "Acceleration and top speed reduced" errors. I was hoping for the magical "Battery charge level reduced" or whatever it is. Sounds like a battery heater issue. Probably out of warranty. Sinking more money into this car that is becoming less and less usable.

I did mention while there about the abysmal supercharging rates now, and got a relative shoulder shrug.

Sigh.

I had both of those warnings pop up on our 88K mile old used 11/2013 build S85; additionally we had "Regenerative braking system disabled." The car was under the used Tesla warranty and they replaced the drive unit, HV battery contactors, HVAC drain hose, and accompany parts. We got the car back about a week later and it's great to have a quiet and smooth operator again; we had that rotational whine noise over the last 6 months. Now if only we could get our range and Supercharging speed restored to where it was one year ago then I would be a happy camper.

If Tesla ends up selling an upgradable battery pack, say this new "89kWh" or the rumored >100kWh pack for something halfway reasonable like $10K-$15K with a core swap of the old battery, I would quickly get in line. We love our classic Model S and want to hold on it to it as long as we can.

I just recently purchased a 2015 Model S 85D with 32,000 miles on it. The car is beautiful and runs superbly. Super Charging does take about 30% longer, but I charge at home, so no real issues. You guys are kind of freaking me out as to possible battery issues in my future. Should I be concerned? What are your thoughts? I am still under warranty until 2023. Thanks.

Reactions: rafacq
I just recently purchased a 2015 Model S 85D with 32,000 miles on it. The car is beautiful and runs superbly. Super Charging does take about 30% longer, but I charge at home, so no real issues. You guys are kind of freaking me out as to possible battery issues in my future. Should I be concerned? What are your thoughts? I am still under warranty until 2023. Thanks.

Did you purchase from Tesla? And what is the rated mileage when you charge to 100% or estimate? This battery issue seems to stem from all kinds of different factors. After reading white papers on batteries and charging seems like slow charging is best for the batterys longevity. I did not trust Tesla was going to do the right thing and sold my 2015 S 85D it was my second Tesla. I think you will be fine good you found this thread. Even though i sold my Tesla i still follow this and offer input once and a while.