Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So glad to still be on V8:p

Since I'm not disconnected from Tesla, I've re-installed my rear door handle fuse.

Downside is no more teslafi logs while driving but everything else in the car still works including navigate by voice and music by voice.
My MS no longer works for APP, Voice commands or browser. Streaming music and nav do work with manual entry. I'm on one of the last 8.1's.
My Model X on the other hand, on latest, is at 3 to 3 1/2 hrs to supercharge to full. Which before anyone says I shouldn't do at a supercharger, when pulling a trailer, heck yah, you need pretty darn full to go any sort of distance.

Last edited:
My MS no longer works for APP, Voice commands or browser. Streaming music and nav do work with manual entry. I'm on one of the last 8.1's.
My Model X on the other hand, on latest, is at 3 to 3 1/2 hrs to supercharge to full. Which before anyone says I shouldn't do at a supercharger, when pulling a trailer, heck yah, you need pretty darn full to go any sort of distance.
20200514_174238.jpg

I just checked again today and everything voice seems to work as does the browser.

What's the difference between your car and mine that none of that works on yours?

View attachment 541841

I just checked again today and everything voice seems to work as does the browser.

What's the difference between your car and mine that none of that works on yours?
Voice commands always just say "Try Again" and doesn't even attempt to let me even speak. Browser is just blank white page. Streaming audio works just fine, as do maps. Reboots not helping either. Could be my MCU going out.
My MX gets the MCU2 and FSD computer upgrades next thursday. Since it's a paid service, and the did not tell me anything about requiring a core for the MCU upgrade, I'm going to try and force my hand to get the MCU1 from my MX to use as a spare for my MS (As I have no plans to upgrade my AP1 MS to MCU2 unless absolutely necessary).

I miss that layout!

Oh my god, can I please pay someone to take me back to the firmware version I had when it was new? PLEASE???

You know it's a poor design if people still want to go back after using the new interface for a while.
I wonder what the statistics (pro- vs anti-) would be for people that had the old interface at one time.
Sorry off topic for the thread, couldn't resist.

You know it's a poor design if people still want to go back after using the new interface for a while.
I wonder what the statistics (pro- vs anti-) would be for people that had the old interface at one time.
Sorry off topic for the thread, couldn't resist.
We're an afterthought. That was obvious to me as soon as I updated and they changed the menus to show a Model 3 outline instead of my facelift Model S. Before we became an afterthought, they had always tailored those to show facelift outlines and nosecones depending on what the car had. When we became an afterthought, they stopped caring enough to program for us (or the Model S at all), or to quality test on our hardware.

You might "own" your car but you don't own the software. No, Tesla's answer is buy a new 3 or Y so you can charge FAAAAAAAST.
Their answer is a pretty terrible one since they had to shrink the warranty and add language inserting a 30% batterygate software cap limitation right into the warranty. That "million mile battery" they're hyped for is apparently less capable than the "infinite mile" batteries they walked back on the warranty already. Imagine what the higher C-rate 250kW charging is doing to Model 3s right now. How much batterygate do you think Tesla is going to impose on them around 2025?

We're an afterthought. That was obvious to me as soon as I updated and they changed the menus to show a Model 3 outline instead of my facelift Model S. Before we became an afterthought, they had always tailored those to show facelift outlines and nosecones depending on what the car had. When we became an afterthought, they stopped caring enough to program for us (or the Model S at all), or to quality test on our hardware.

Their answer is a pretty terrible one since they had to shrink the warranty and add language inserting a 30% batterygate software cap limitation right into the warranty. That "million mile battery" they're hyped for is apparently less capable than the "infinite mile" batteries they walked back on the warranty already. Imagine what the higher C-rate 250kW charging is doing to Model 3s right now. How much batterygate do you think Tesla is going to impose on them around 2025?
Judging by how heavy handed they have been and are being with us, I would say that the MOMENT someone's battery hits 20% degradation, Tesla will reduce charging speed by 66% and reduce range by 20% 'for the longevity of the battery' until the warrantee expires, then magically charging speed and range will return.

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy and Chaserr
I can't tell if it's due to warmer weather, or new updates, but last week or so I see 217mi as max.
I haven't seen 217 since May 14th, 2019. At that time, max was 239 (from original 240).
At the lowest was 208, and then hovered between 211-213 (after they said they improved efficiency of model S), occasionally allowing me to go to 214, and as of recently, with warmer weather, I was seeing 215, 216 and now 217. I did not see that last summer, so my guess is this is all due to efficiency improvements in model S, nothing to do with actual battery management.
I also haven't actually charged to 217, so I don't know if this is realistic. At the time when it used to show 213, I could only get to 211 a couple of times when i tried to charge full.
Now if I can only get something meaningful back o_O, such as another 20mi or a new same spec battery, I'd be content.
I've also noticed this. Over the last 6 weeks I've seen a slow increase in range, and available battery capacity via SMT. Mine is an 2014 MS60, and Nominal full pack has gone from 49.3kWh, to 50.6kWh. As a result, typical (UK) range has increased from 159 to 166 miles, and rated miles from 200 miles to 210. Still a way off from where I was a year ago ! I've attached Teslafi battery report.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200518-223258_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200518-223258_Samsung Internet.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
S70DRated20200201Capture.JPG
I've also noticed this. Over the last 6 weeks I've seen a slow increase in range, and available battery capacity via SMT. Mine is an 2014 MS60, and Nominal full pack has gone from 49.3kWh, to 50.6kWh. As a result, typical (UK) range has increased from 159 to 166 miles, and rated miles from 200 miles to 210. Still a way off from where I was a year ago ! I've attached Teslafi battery report.

Attached shows my four year Rated / SoC Percentage, as can be seen it has lows at winter and highs in summers, but not your 6.5 km variation.

I believe most of the confirmed batterygate fires have been parked and not charging, so this isn't too surprising.

NHTSA should look into software version it had, if this wasn't updated it's a slam dunk case of needing to issue a recall immediately.

NOBODY UPDATE FOR AT LEAST A MONTH!

I predict a lot more people see their capacity slashed in the coming weeks. Tesla will probably respond with even more limits on the next patch. They always seem to respond to AP crashes with worse nagging et cetera, and batterygate is how they hide this problem.

From a different thread, this post is interesting. We thought the "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message meant battery replacement. Looks like Tesla is now calling it a fixed software bug!!!

Bummer! After notification last week that the parts finally had arrived, I was just informed I can pick up the car:

Concern: Maximum battery charge level reduced

Confirmed customer concern, found that there was a calculation issue causing the battery charge to be reduced. This is now fixed with firmware.
Issue resolved.

I wonder if CAC is related to how they are trying to identify batteries about to catch fire? They have brought it up every time I had them check my battery, and I've seen it mentioned by others too.

Hard to see how it would have started in the Porsche !

But it seems weird that the right side of the Tesla didn't burn. And if a Tesla battery catches on fire it usually burns both side of the car in the front.

Kaysville.jpg

That would make me look at the Porsche a little closer, since it appears to have burned fairly evenly on both sides, to the point that it caught the house on fire. I would think for the fire to spread like that the gas tank, which is in the front on a Boxster, would have had to explode.

• Informative
Reactions: JRP3 and Guy V