Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is playing a waiting game. But the class action suit will go beyond our warranty periods? Maybe they are hoping the longer it drags out, the smaller our class action group will get?
Here rumors about credits being given to customers in Feb 2021 who needed to do MCU1 repairs and extending the warranty to 8 years on those items. Will be interesting to hear what happens after all the discussions.

Here rumors about credits being given to customers in Feb 2021 who needed to do MCU1 repairs and extending the warranty to 8 years on those items. Will be interesting to hear what happens after all the discussions.

Not a rumor

mail

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

Should be a recall item not an extended warranty item.

Not a rumor

mail

Our records show that you own, or previously owned, a Model S/X that was built before March 2018. It may be eligible for Tesla’s Warranty Adjustment Program covering malfunction of a memory chip (embedded MultiMediaCard). This malfunction may result in a blank or intermittently blank touchscreen but will not impact the ability to drive your car.
Tesla is providing eligible owners who experience a malfunction no-cost repairs to this part at any Tesla Service Center for 8 years/100k miles from initial delivery date. If you do not experience a malfunction, there’s no need to take action.
If you have already paid for repairs that meet the conditions of the program, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Tesla will send reimbursement details and eligibility by February 2021.

Should be a recall item not an extended warranty item.
For sure. Last month mine bricked the display. Had to have it flat-bed towed to the SC 5 hours away at MY expense. It was the EMMC card, of course. Had to pay for the fix as well. It pissed me off that the 64G ones were out of stock :( Tjhen I had to rent a car to get to the SC to pick up my Tessie. NOT amused. And as far as not affecting the driveability, I call BS. Hard to know what level to charge to if you have no nav or maps and cannot even turn off the AC (which was stuck on low temp, max fan). Other needed functions were also offline. The SC advised me NOT to attempt to drive it the 5 hours to the SC for my safety.
The above notice it meaningless CRAP to MOST of the affected users, since most are past the 100,000 miles limit.
Seems to me like a fluff piece for the media. They need to remove the limit, reimburse everyone who had it done, and install the RIGHT 64G card.

For sure. Last month mine bricked the display. Had to have it flat-bed towed to the SC 5 hours away at MY expense. It was the EMMC card, of course. Had to pay for the fix as well. It pissed me off that the 64G ones were out of stock :( Tjhen I had to rent a car to get to the SC to pick up my Tessie. NOT amused. And as far as not affecting the driveability, I call BS. Hard to know what level to charge to if you have no nav or maps and cannot even turn off the AC (which was stuck on low temp, max fan). Other needed functions were also offline. The SC advised me NOT to attempt to drive it the 5 hours to the SC for my safety.
The above notice it meaningless CRAP to MOST of the affected users, since most are past the 100,000 miles limit.
Seems to me like a fluff piece for the media. They need to remove the limit, reimburse everyone who had it done, and install the RIGHT 64G card.
Agree.

Got email from Tesla about that yesterday.
Sorry that you had that much trouble. Hopefully they will reimburse you in full. It's really unacceptable that a few $ part cripples computer and consequently the car. There should be more redundancy built in. It does affect the driving - you get no access to lights, blinker's not working, HVAC, if soonroof is open, you can forget about closing it, then there is fart game not working - sorry, if they consider it important enough to put in release notes while not putting anything about critical pieces, then it must be extremely important :)

Question for all of you who have had this issue...mine freezes a lot, meaning touchscreen just doesn't respond. Sometimes, half of it will work, and half will be stuck on a previous screen. Latest one is, very often, when i get in the car, it doesn't turn on, I'll wait a few mins and then either reboot it myself, or it'll reboot on it is' own - this can take 5mins...sometimes will reboot twice in a row. If it starts to respond without reboot, it won't move the seat up, and will not respond to some commands. At other times, screen gets various random corruption.
Are these symptoms of eMMC failure, or it's just bad memory management?
And now keeps saying keyfob battery is low even though I've changed both keyfob batteries twice o_O
I don't want to derail battery discussion, so maybe simple yes/no or point to most applicable thread about eMMC...seems there are several. Thanks.

According to reports in German TFF Forum, the displayed range rose to the old values, slowly over the last months, a few km every week.

But the reported usable capacity in kWh did not move a single Wh up, according to ScanMyTesla.
Final cell voltage is still at 4,1V, but range shows the value before 2019.16. (minus a few % for degradation which is totally acceptable after 1.5 years).

So it looks like Tesla changed the calculation for available range w/o really increasing range or giving back usable battery capacity.

Akku-Kapazität (70/85-er) gesunken nach Update 2019.16.2

/Edit: there are also reports that usable capacity did rise hand in hand with displayed range to old kWh values gradually over the last few months.
Looks like inconsistent reporting by owners. My numbers have not changed at all.
My numbers consistently changed back. I reported so in this post from October 10th:
Happy to see the changes in my car's charging pattern in comparison to 14 months ago.
  • current software version 2020.36.11
  • charging speed has remained similar, but starts out at 'normal'maximum of 115 kW
  • 100% SoC is now 369 km, which is pretty much what is was before BatteryGate.
  • calculation still seems to be done with 200 Wh/km
Extra info: I had the CCS 2 Combo adapter installed and have used it a couple of times. Not sure this has any bearing on this behavior, just mentioning it.

Reactions: Droschke

Agreed. Seems the only way to get Tesla to do the right thing anymore is to sue them. Should be an easy win since they have basically admitted fault in a "malfunctioning chip". Remember when they sold us cars based on how well they were going to take care of their customers? :confused:

Deja vu?

GM recalling Chevrolet Bolt EVs due to fire risks amid federal probe

GM is recalling 60k batteries to software-limit their charging to a maximum 90% capacity. They don't expect an actual solution to the battery problem until next year but are issuing the recall out of an abundance of caution.

This is what Tesla should have done all along. Safety should always come before secrecy.

Does anyone else want to know if the recall update will do more than just cap vmax? Limit Regen or slow down dc charging perhaps? Maybe it will even run the pumps continually at high states of charge to try and detect anomalous cell temps?

Last edited:
Secretly try to avoid doing the right thing by notifying owners through the only legally approved notification process they are allowed to handle a downgrade of this magnitude while more permanent safety solutions are worked out? Yes, that's how Tesla tried to conceal problem and avoid all legal safety processes. Tesla chose secrecy and avoided safety. Failure to notify *anyone* is why so many people are still on danger from what Tesla failed to do - and more people are still downgrading since there has yet to be any legal disclosure.

Secretly try to avoid doing the right thing by notifying owners through the only legally approved notification process they are allowed to handle a downgrade of this magnitude while more permanent safety solutions are worked out? Yes, that's how Tesla tried to conceal problem and avoid all legal safety processes. Tesla chose secrecy and avoided safety. Failure to notify *anyone* is why so many people are still on danger from what Tesla failed to do - and more people are still downgrading since there has yet to be any legal disclosure.
Yet Tesla knew a Vmax of 4.15V would be better back when they were building the 1st-gen Roadsters.
Would 250-mile range instead of 265 on the original 85 cars been so bad?
It was still more than double the range any competition had at the time.