Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Downey, CA - Lakewood Boulevard (LIVE 25 May 2018, 12 Urban stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My opinion is that any Supercharger at a site is better than no Supercharger at that site, “Urban” style or regular style. Downey will be very useful.

If you want to have a general discussion of what makes a good Supercharger site (and it appears that you do since you also mentioned Baker, San CLement, SJC, Santa Ana) then please start a separate thread. Thank you. :)
Will do.
Thank you for the guidance ecarfan.
No I do not want your job!
I'm not sure I want to start a new thread on "what makes a good supercharger site" but I would be interested in hearing from others as to what does make a good SC site.
I should search and see if there is already such a thread--
I mean, San Juan Capistrano is pathetic, and Baker is wonderful-- even though I am biased as I saw my first MODEL THREE at Baker on 28 December 2017-- some are better than others-- any of the SCs not in California seem to be open and often empty--
we drove to Texas and back in July 2016 and every SC out of California was totally open--
I think the absolute best was Wickenburg Arizona-- Wow. Perfect SC! JUST PERFECT!.
Alright Mr. Mod I'll start a new thread ...
Thank you

When I was there, parking was pretty crowded, but there was no ICEing even with chargers wrapped in plastic. Sample size of 1.

And it is very close to freeway, which is useful.
I think what I didn't like about it was that it wasn't a "Tesla" location-- like say Monterey Seaside, or Buena Park, or (the BEST) Hawthorne which are on Tesla territories. Or even Rancho Cucamonga, which has our spots AWAY from the 20th Century auto parking. Or Shamrock Texas, or the newer Oxnard at that shopping mall or even Buellton where we are AWAY from the ... how to phrase this appropriately for you all-- the .... rest of the auto driving population. You know, the ones who drive those polluting cars with 19th Century technology. Spewing poison gas into our lungs. Those folks. Yuk.

Do my eyes deceive me, or is that an actual trashcan (background, left) at a supercharger?

Indeed. The first one of which I believe made an appearance next to a bucket with CLEAN water and a squeegee - at Centralia, Washington. There's also one at Redondo Beach in the middle of that SC. Few and far between, though, yeah.

Looking forward to this Downey SC. The more, the merrier hereabouts.

Does anyone have any updates on this site?
Yes, what is going on there? Is the parking lot more than 100% full all the time (SUVs circling, waiting for a spot to empty)-- are they now parking in our Tesla-dedicated charging spots?

Why isn't this location live-- 6 weeks or more ago, everything looked (to us) ready to go.

It appears that they are still waiting for SCE to deliver the transformer. The concrete pad in the back of the lot is still empty. Most of the pedestals are still wrapped in plastic. I have never seen anyone parked in the stalls, other than Tesla owners taking pictures.

It appears that they are still waiting for SCE to deliver the transformer. The concrete pad in the back of the lot is still empty. Most of the pedestals are still wrapped in plastic. I have never seen anyone parked in the stalls, other than Tesla owners taking pictures.
Thanks B2B but what do you about the concrete pad in the back?
Is it shown in Post 35 where I took a pic with my wife there? There is a concrete pad, but doesn't it have 2 generators on it?
You mean some where else? Not sure where the "back of the lot" would be. -- Thanks.

It appears that they are still waiting for SCE to deliver the transformer.

Typical of SCE. My house remodel project involved running a new conduit to an SCE pull box in the next door neighbor's yard. For this puny little job it took 5 weeks with an open trench in our back yard before someone from SCE came out to sign off on burying the conduit; another two weeks to get the cut-over to the new feed lines put on the calendar - for the following week.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
For this puny little job it took 5 weeks with an open trench in our back yard before someone from SCE came out to sign off on burying the conduit; another two weeks to get the cut-over to the new feed lines put on the calendar - for the following week.

My solar contractor built my ground-mounted system in about 10 days. City required three inspections and showed up on the same day or day after called. System was built and ready for use in two weeks. It took SCE another two weeks to issue the go ahead to turn on. I can understand their concern for loss of revenue, as my power use has been zero for almost four years now. You would think they would be anxious to resell that power for EV's but it doesn't seem so.

• Informative
It's live! (and supercharge.info is updated too)

Interesting.. "Downey - Lakewood Boulevard"... why would they name it that if there wasn't another Downey site planned?

upload_2018-5-25_11-32-24.png

@ScottKubo thanks for posting those photos of this new Supercharger location. And congratulations on your new Model 3! :)

In your first photo, the third stall in from the street looks like its Supercharger pedestal is turned sideways compared to the pedestal in the second stall (where the white X is parked). Am I seeing that correctly? If so, that is unusual. Since that third stall is a back in stall, if the pedestal is turned sideways the charging cable is farther away from the car than normal. Looks like it will barely reach the charge port of the car.

Your third photo shows that end of the Supercharger site closer up but the pedestal in the third stall is hidden by the white X.

Is that third stall in from the street a handicapped stall?

I’m just curious, and it will awhile before I am able to check out this Supercharger location personally. Perhaps a visitor to this site can post a close up photo of the area where the first four stalls are.

Last edited:
@ecarfan Looking closer at the photos I took, starting from the street there are 4 stalls, then a trash can, then 7 stalls, another trashcan and then a final 12th stall (technically they're numbered 1A - 6B, though I think that's confusing).

Stall #1 is a front-in spot. In my pictures the white X is is #2. #3 appears to be a back-in spot possibly with space for handicap ingress/egress and it has its pedestal turned sideways so that the plug is facing the plants and wall. Stall # 4 is a back-in spot next to the trash can and its charger pedestal is turned so that the plug is facing the parking lot which as you mentioned seems like it would reduce the useable cord length.

Not sure why it was installed this way, or how much of a difference it makes. Hopefully, more pictures will appear that can help clarify.

• Informative