Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the new New River SC thread: (lots of discussion about Kayenta there, sorry)

kevanmann said:
Really hoping the Kayenta charger comes online soon. I grew up skiing in Telluride, CO and the quickest way there is through Kayenta. The current Supercharger network requires you to divert all the way to Gallup, NM.

Has anyone heard anything about Kayenta?

My reply:
Only in our dreams .... It wouldn’t need many stalls. And it doesn’t need to be V3 either. Tesla is upgrading a bunch of SC to V3 — how about repurposing some of that used equipment to Kayenta?

Reactions: SnowFlyer and tmoz
With them posting profits now I’t would be nice to see them invest in the Supercharger network.
They are investing in expanding the Supercharger network. However, the focus is on expanding the network in places where there is high volume and the large increase in car numbers has led to long lines at existing existing Supercharger stations. Expanding the network to allow travel on secondary highways, such as US 160, has been much lower on the priority list, to put it mildly.

Much as I'd like to see Superchargers in Kayenta, Globe AZ, Alamosa CO, and Burns OR, among many others, I can understand the push to reduce lines in areas with heavy use. That's where most of the cars are, after all!

Well, if there ever was a chance of this site being constructed in 2020, I imagine covid has made that chance even smaller.

Anyone know of an L2 charging option in or around Kayenta? The closest L2 option listed on PlugShare is at Monument valley. Someday, I'd like to make the drive from Cortez, CO to Tuba City in our M3 SR+, but it's a bit terrifying to have practically zero contingency options along the way...

Reactions: CO_MY
it's a bit terrifying to have practically zero contingency options along the way...
I did Blanding (95%) to Page a while back and wound up with a 25mph+ headwind (not exaggerating, it was crazy windy, reports in page were 29+). Getting to Kayenta wasn't have been too bad, but getting to Page required driving under 50mph on 65mph road. Thankfully there wasn't much traffic so I could speed up when I saw people coming up and let them pass, but still, as you said, no contingency was horrible, this in a LRAWD, SR wouldn't have made it I don't think. I think there's a KOA near Kayenta IIRC, but that's it.

Not a lot of Tesla traffic down there, a bit of a chicken and egg.

• Informative
Reactions: Trnsl8r
I did Blanding (95%) to Page a while back and wound up with a 25mph+ headwind (not exaggerating, it was crazy windy, reports in page were 29+). Getting to Kayenta wasn't have been too bad, but getting to Page required driving under 50mph on 65mph road. Thankfully there wasn't much traffic so I could speed up when I saw people coming up and let them pass, but still, as you said, no contingency was horrible, this in a LRAWD, SR wouldn't have made it I don't think. I think there's a KOA near Kayenta IIRC, but that's it.

Not a lot of Tesla traffic down there, a bit of a chicken and egg.

What route did you take? Google maps tells me 191 to 160 to 98, but you can save 5 miles (on paper anyway) by going 191 to 163 to 160 to 98 (going via Monument Valley).

Last edited:
What route did you take? Google maps tells me 191 to 160 to 98, but you can save 5 miles (on paper anyway) by going 191 to 163 to 160 to 98 (going via Monument Valley).
I think you answered your own question :)

Given the range issue, it's hard to imagine any Tesla owner not taking the shorter route through one of the most scenic parts of the country.

Reactions: Big Ike
For Kayenta, it sounds like there are still no known L2 charging options. So maybe we should all start calling the Hampton Inn once a month and extolling the merits of them adding some sort of L2 option. :) Last year, they listed "EV charging" as an amenity on their website at some point, but when I called them, they said they didn't have anything (though the person I talked to did mention someone charging their car off a regular plug in the parking lot at some point).

The Hampton Inn is also one of the few (perhaps the only?) potential sites for an eventual supercharger, that I'm aware of. So maybe we could encourage them along those lines too. :). Here's their phone: +1-928-697-3170

Edit: The Bashas supermarket area the other side of the Burger King from the Hampton might be another possible site...

Last edited:
I was blindly following ABRP and Tesla nav and went through Mexican Hat (not Monument Valley)
Even now, ABRP suggests that Monument Valley takes an additional 20%, which makes no sense at all.

And a scenic place to drive slowly and take it all in...
I wish, it was long after dark at this point, so that didn't help anything but cutting down the traffic (I realize you are being sarcastic, but the view I got was just the road right in front of me and the ABRP map showing me unhappy thoughts)

I was blindly following ABRP and Tesla nav and went through Mexican Hat (not Monument Valley)
Even now, ABRP suggests that Monument Valley takes an additional 20%, which makes no sense at all.

I wish, it was long after dark at this point, so that didn't help anything but cutting down the traffic (I realize you are being sarcastic, but the view I got was just the road right in front of me and the ABRP map showing me unhappy thoughts)

But the Mexican Hat route is the Monument Valley route. Do you mean you went through Mexican Water? Hey, I get it - it was dark! :)

Reactions: SSonnentag
I think you answered your own question :)

Given the range issue, it's hard to imagine any Tesla owner not taking the shorter route through one of the most scenic parts of the country.
Not so scenic now with all the smoke in the air, sad to say. :(

Here's a look from the webcam in the Island in the Sky District of Canyonlands National Park, a hundred miles north of Monument Valley:

Island in the Sky webcam 8-24-20.jpg

^ The La Sal Mountains to the east are hidden by the smoke; it doesn't usually look like this. My mountains here in SW Colorado are much the same.

For those who would like to check visibility in the Moab area, the Island in the Sky webcam link:
http://eldesierto.org/Isky.jpg

It is a good proxy for checking the weather in SE Utah.