TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Supercharger - Plano, Texas

Discussion in 'Texas Supercharger locations' started by bollar, Nov 2, 2017.

1. thenaimis

thenaimis Former Tesla Cheerleader

Google maps can be such a pain to contribute to at times... Add something and it immediately disappears. Anyway, I think I've added a location for this supercharger, as there didn't seem to be one there when I looked (again, it wouldn't be the first time that a location failed to appear in google maps). I also tried adding my spherical photo of the location but it hasn't shown up yet. That's usually going through an approval process, and can take a while.

Google Maps

• Like x 2
  2. achilles992000

awesome! thanks for the reports guys.

3. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I quite liked this location. Tons of shops and restaurants nearby. It was my first time in Plano and later in the day I drove through Tyler for the first time and there was only one thing I could think about!:

4. achilles992000

I love this supercharger! It shows up on now on the Tesla map.

Got 94 miles in 25 minutes.
    Time went fast as I was checking out the stores.

Zoe's has good healthy Mediterranean food. So I will grab lunch while I charge.

• Like x 1
  5. Electroman

Electroman Well-Known Member

There are too many food choices there, most likely your car will be charged before you finish your dinner or lunch.

• Like x 1
  6. LonestarV

LonestarV Member

Unpossible, according to my estimations. :)

• Funny x 1
  7. BrandonR22

BrandonR22 Member

Honestly guys, who would be down for a trash can at the end of the SC line? ‍♀️

Attached Files:

8. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Earlier today
    MVIMG_20180404_134044.jpg

• Like x 2
  9. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

Actually, I can ask about that.

• Like x 1
  10. BrandonR22

BrandonR22 Member

11. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

I'll start with the property management. Same company manages Southlake Town Square and there is a trash can at that Supercharger.

• Like x 1
  12. BrandonR22

BrandonR22 Member

Oh that'd be great! I was actually going to ask the Property Management too but if you know them or have known their other properties that have them then please do! Then, as a follow-up, i'll call them too ;) lol

13. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

I was surprised how many superchargers didnt have trash cans. Let alone in such seedy neighborhoods. This one will be interesting to see how busy it gets from the freeloaders around town.

14. redi

redi 2013 P85+

I'd imagine the freeloaders would be wanting to dump their trash from home too while getting a free charge. :)

• Funny x 4
  15. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

They are not freeloaders. They deserve it.

• Disagree x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

^This is why free unlimited Supercharging went away :( ^

No... if you can charge at home but charge at a SC instead... you're a 'freeloader'.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. garrett5688

garrett5688 Member

Just saw a lonely silver model 3 with aero wheels charging here. Looking sharp. Still need to see a white one in person...

18. Cnasty

Cnasty Active Member

Team Pearl White here. I am in Frisco/Allen/Plano usually.

19. andystj

andystj S: P957 X: P337

#119 andystj, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    DISLIKE. The decision to use a SC should not be judged or second-guessed. I am 100% supportive of idle fees, but I can not endorse shaming people for using a feature of the car that they purchased. During pre-sale reservations and throughout the early sales period, the Model S was consistently sold with a "Free, Forever" promise for supercharging.

The specter of local chargers blocking access to people on road trips was raised immediately during the early years. It was addressed adequately with logic by Elon and Tesla. They consistently pointed out that charging at home is cheap & convenient, so most people will chose that method most of the time. They also consistently pointed out that the scalability of the SC network would accommodate rational decision-making on where people chose to charge.

IMO, where a SC is equally convenient or more convenient to home charging, it should be utilized. Free & Convenient > Cheap & Convenient.

If I am at a restaurant adjacent to a SC, it makes sense to plug in. If I know that I will be at that SC every Wednesday for a lunch meeting, it might make sense to show up with a near-empty battery every Wednesday.

Sometimes charging at home is not perfectly convenient. For example, we have three electric vehicles that share one 240v NEMA 14-50 along with standard 110V 15A circuits. Swapping out plugs and slightly inconvenient plug placement for secondary plugs can create a feeling of inconvenience. Where there is a convenient SC at a place I'll be anyway, it makes since to utilize it under the "Free, Forever" terms that were sold with the car.

The point is to trust the rational decision-maker to do what is right for them and then adjust accordingly.

The calculus done by the rational decision-maker is obviously more complicated than "Free & Convenient>Cheap & Convenient." "Convenience" is a range that falls on a circumstantial curve, and "Cheap" is a discreet set of values measured on a relative basis. It is the individual nature of this calculus that is why we should trust the decision-maker without judgment. I'm very curious to see how these decisions change over time as used Model S/X prices fall.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  20. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

#120 nwdiver, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    The purpose of L3 charging is LONG DISTANCE TRAVEL. If you look at Elons evolution on the topic of free unlimited supercharging for LONG DISTANCE TRAVEL. It becomes clear that he didn't believe people would waste their time at a SC when they can charge at home. I didn't believe it either until I waited in line for 2 hours at Gilroy for a bunch of people that bought a $100k car saving $10/hr at a supercharger; Reality destroyed that misconception. The reason M3 drivers now have to pay for ALL supercharging is almost certainly because there are too many 'free loaders' in the system. Yeah, I paid ~$2k for supercharging but it was clear to me that it was FOR LONG DISTANCE TRAVEL... not to save money on my electric bill or save me the hassle of getting curb-side charging.

Yeah, L2 charging isn't available for some people. L3 charging isn't the solution. Fix the problem.

• Like x 1