Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Statesville, NC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went by the proposed Super Charger site across from the multiplex theaters just of I-77 in Statesville on Saturday. No sign of any site preparation or construction. I am not sure why Tesla picked that site other than being close (though hard to get to) I-77 and one exit from I-40. There is a Hampton Inn and a Courtyard if you use this as an overnight stop.

Went by the proposed Super Charger site across from the multiplex theaters just of I-77 in Statesville on Saturday. No sign of any site preparation or construction. I am not sure why Tesla picked that site other than being close (though hard to get to) I-77 and one exit from I-40. There is a Hampton Inn and a Courtyard if you use this as an overnight stop.

Maybe they're waiting until the I77 Construction Project is complete :).....I don't envy folks living by Lake Norman....huge traffic jams even on weekends....

But it is really as much or even more for I-40 as it is for I-77

I agree. Tesla has been slow to put much emphasis on I-77. The SC in Charlotte is actually on I-85 north of Charlotte, and is a time consuming and traffic filled jaunt away from I-77.

Tesla is also going to build a SC in Greensboro and Raleigh, allegedly by the end of the year. The locations have not been announced, so it isn't clear whether the one in GSO will be on I-74, I-40, I-85 or I-40 and I-85 combined. With the existing SC already on I-40 and I-85 combined in Burlington, and existing SC's in Asheville and Wilmington, once the Statesville SC opens, even the folks with an S60 should have no problem crossing the state on I-40, even in the winter.

Tesla seems to be emphasizing the I-40 corridor. With the completion of the proposed SCs in Ark and eastern OK later this year, it will be possible to drive most Teslas from Wilmington, NC to just outside LA on I-40.

Currently, even with a S75, the trip from GSO to Asheville can be a bit dicey if it is really cold and windy given the 2000 ft. rise in elevation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drucifer