Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Taree, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s next to Johnny Martin oval in Wynter St, 1 block down from Manning Mall and 2 blocks down from Taree Central Shopping Centre. Which makes it rather less convenient, particularly if you were charging while shopping and were bringing a trolley full of stuff back to your car.

I wonder why this didn’t go in the Manning Mall carpark as originally proposed? It’s a big open carpark, plenty of space. I can’t imagine it would have been a power issue either. At first blush, it seems it would be harder to get power to this location than the original one.

Look, this is way better than nothing, but a little disappointing.
The original proposed council site was not in Manning Mall but in the on street parking adjacent to it.
1000001491.png

It is not clear whether Manning Mall parking is a private owned council patrolled parking area or a council owned parking area.

I wonder why this didn’t go in the Manning Mall carpark as originally proposed
I Speculate...

Manning mall is privately owned. Tesla negotiated with MidCoast Council for a spot but possibly also scouted other locations including ones with private owners like Manning Mall and didn't get very far?

I shopped at Manning Mall twice over last 5 years. It is always full - at least when I was there. Perhaps taking out 6 inside car park spaces and space for 3 cabinets might have been a bridge too far? The angled parking at Wynter St extends from Oval to Manning Mall. Would have been nice for it to even be on street side Manning Mall if not the inside carpark. However there is a pedestrian walkway on Wynter St at the Manning mall side so maybe not a good options co-locating chargers and cabinets

Ive never tried supercharging and shopping at a mall. There does not seem to be adequate time for a SC session to also do a trolley's worth of Coles. Maybe a quick toilet stop and an express checkout of a few items would be possible without incurring idle fees. Interested in others experiences.

Last edited:
Reactions: dronus
I shopped at Manning Mall twice over last 5 years. It is always full - at least when I was there. Perhaps taking out 6 inside car park spaces and space for 3 cabinets might have been a bridge too far?

This has been my experience every time I've been in the area during daylight hours.
Putting them in the mall parking area is just a recipe for chronic ICEing...

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
Good to see. I go to Taree a lot. With the New Raymond Terrace site and this site, it will be much better. Sydney to Brisbane needs more sites as Sydney to Melbourne is very good now. Hope they can get on the air before the Easter Holiday madness.

Ive never tried supercharging and shopping at a mall. There does not seem to be adequate time for a SC session to also do a trolley's worth of Coles. Maybe a quick toilet stop and an express checkout of a few items would be possible without incurring idle fees. Interested in others experiences.

Well it depends on how much charge you are adding and in particular whether you are charging above 90% or 95%, when charging rates really slow down.

When we lost our garage last year for 2 months, our routine became charging at Evie Leichhardt Marketplace while doing the weekly grocery shop. However the chargers there are 50kW, so it took 30-40 min for a decent charge, matched the trolley filling nicely.

My Supercharger stop at Yass on my recent Melbourne trip was nearly 50 minutes - I stopped charging at 98%.

I was in Taree this morning and dropped by the SC site. Guys were working in the rain to get the trenches and conduit laid. The sparkies turned up to view the site but were tight lipped on the installation. Looks like 12 stalls and the cabinets will be off the street in the park behind the fence. They have the trenches dug to the cabinet location. In the pic below (with the little tent) there are two intersecting trenches entering. The trench at an angle has the conduits from the current installed conduit. I would surmise that they will run the others from the other side into the other right angle trench. They have gravel and other materials in this area at the moment plus their vehicles. I'll update as things progress...

Attachments

• Cabinets.jpg
    Cabinets.jpg
    892 KB · Views: 8
  • Conduits.jpg
    Conduits.jpg
    852.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 3.13.45 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 3.13.45 PM.jpg
    886.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I was in Taree this morning and dropped by the SC site. Guys were working in the rain to get the trenches and conduit laid. The sparkies turned up to view the site but were tight lipped on the installation. Looks like 12 stalls and the cabinets will be off the street in the park behind the fence. They have the trenches dug to the cabinet location. In the pic below (with the little tent) there are two intersecting trenches entering. The trench at an angle has the conduits from the current installed conduit. I would surmise that they will run the others from the other side into the other right angle trench. They have gravel and other materials in this area at the moment plus their vehicles.
The contractor seems to be O'Brien Electrical out of Coffs Harbour owned by Gosling Group who did the Thrumster/Port Macquarie install. You'd be hopen that the new Coffs one might be next. But obviously all ducks have to be lined up.

DBYD suggests a ground substation will be placed in the spot near to @zarbs 's proposed location for cabinets.

The power will come from the aerial power from the other side of the road as there are no underground power at the site
So some trenching of Wynter St may need to happen unless a pole is laid and power is strung across Wynter St.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    92.5 KB · Views: 9
On my recent inaugural trip to country Victoria and back recently I found this to be the case when using superchargers.
Maybe enough time to get a coffee or a few things from Woolies but I wouldn’t be doing a big grocery shop with the car in the SC.
If the SC were further away from the supermarket I probably wouldn’t have bothered going anywhere. Wodonga was a bit like that.

Reactions: Jules22
Agreed.. even if hungry it's a long walk from say Macquarie Supercharger to the food court...

Really needs a lot more (paid ). wall chargers.

If you look at the Tesla online Find Us map, a lot of the newer Asian mall charges now show both Superchargers and Wall Chargers.

Reactions: Jules22
On my recent inaugural trip to country Victoria and back recently I found this to be the case when using superchargers.
Maybe enough time to get a coffee or a few things from Woolies but I wouldn’t be doing a big grocery shop with the car in the SC.
If the SC were further away from the supermarket I probably wouldn’t have bothered going anywhere. Wodonga was a bit like that.
Wodonga is only for toilet break :/

The couple of times I've stopped at Macquarie on a road trip I've had to leave the family mid-meal at the food court to go back and move the car.

If you’re on a road trip, any reason you didn’t charge to 100% to give you more time?

I’ve charged to 100% only once at a Supercharger. It was on a road trip, at Dubbo. I was staying in a motel across the road from the SC so didn’t care how long it took. I was the only car there.

It took an hour and 20 minutes.

Even when I got the “5 minute warning” on the App, it still took another half hour to actually complete. At the very end, the charge rate slowed all the way down to 1 kW, before finally it went clunk “charging complete”.

Reactions: dronus
If you’re on a road trip, any reason you didn’t charge to 100% to give you more time?

I’ve charged to 100% only once at a Supercharger. It was on a road trip, at Dubbo. I was staying in a motel across the road from the SC so didn’t care how long it took. I was the only car there.

It took an hour and 20 minutes.

Even when I got the “5 minute warning” on the App, it still took another half hour to actually complete. At the very end, the charge rate slowed all the way down to 1 kW, before finally it went clunk “charging complete”.
I didn't realise just how much it slowed down at the end. It takes more than 5 minutes to get back from where the food is at Macquarie to the Superchargers.

Seems a bit antisocial at a busy site like that anyway.

Seems a bit antisocial at a busy site like that anyway.

Well yes, that is a valid reason to not charge to 100%, particularly if you don’t need to. I did this at Dubbo as a science experiment, given I was the only car there.

But if you charge above 90%, or certainly 95%, you have more than 5 minutes to get back to the car after getting the 5 minute warning, if what happened to me is any guide.

Tesla might have improved its estimates of when charging will finish at very high SoC since my experiment, and maybe it’s more accurate now.