Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Tempe, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is a little further walk, but the west side of I-10 (still on Baseline Dr) is more choices, such as the Arizona Grand Resort, Aunt Chilada’s, In-n-Out, Fry’s, etc. It is a little nicer area over there. But, I assume there was simply more available space to locate a supercharge, and maybe power, near the mall.

It is a little further walk, but the west side of I-10 (still on Baseline Dr) is more choices, such as the Arizona Grand Resort, Aunt Chilada’s, In-n-Out, Fry’s, etc. It is a little nicer area over there. But, I assume there was simply more available space to locate a supercharge, and maybe power, near the mall.
Good point, In-n-out is a good pit stop. I'd guesstimate that walk at 15 min each way, and it require crossing from the NE to the SW side of that very busy interchange. Might have idle fees applied after that walk to/from with a standard in/out wait time.

PROS: It’s close to multiple freeways, ASU, and the sprawling SE valley.

CONS: A fairly sketchy area. Unfortunately lots of homelessness, meth heads, and gangbangers in the area. I wouldn’t recommend venturing too far from your car. Much safer to pick up food at a nearby restaurant and eat in your car.

Last edited:
Pics I just took of the chargers@mills.

Attachments

• 20220607_185929.jpg
    20220607_185929.jpg
    584.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 20220607_190022.jpg
    20220607_190022.jpg
    711.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220607_190043.jpg
    20220607_190043.jpg
    729.4 KB · Views: 95
Went by today. One of the contractors came over and said they are working as fast as they can.
He was really open, and said that this was CS Construction's first site, but they have another planned to start in 3 weeks by the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. He also said that they have a contract for one in Flagstaff and 19th and Camelback. Last one he said was a 90 stall site in Quartzite. I told him there is already a large on there so is the total going to 90, or another one of 90. He didn't know anything about the existing site and said he thought their contract was for 90.
Obviously take this all with a grain of salt. He finished by saying that Tesla told them they have enough planned to keep them busy for the next 5 years.
I asked about Staley and the 60, but he said that was a California company that was "price gouging" Tesla, but not their site. Might be why that one is languishing is Tesla is trying to renegotiate?
Oh, and their goal is to have the Arizona Mills mall done by July 4th weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_130042.jpg
    IMG_20220610_130042.jpg
    582.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220610_130035.jpg
    IMG_20220610_130035.jpg
    553.3 KB · Views: 90
Went by today. One of the contractors came over and said they are working as fast as they can.
He was really open, and said that this was CS Construction's first site, but they have another planned to start in 3 weeks by the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. He also said that they have a contract for one in Flagstaff and 19th and Camelback. Last one he said was a 90 stall site in Quartzite. I told him there is already a large on there so is the total going to 90, or another one of 90. He didn't know anything about the existing site and said he thought their contract was for 90.
Obviously take this all with a grain of salt. He finished by saying that Tesla told them they have enough planned to keep them busy for the next 5 years.
I asked about Staley and the 60, but he said that was a California company that was "price gouging" Tesla, but not their site. Might be why that one is languishing is Tesla is trying to renegotiate?
Oh, and their goal is to have the Arizona Mills mall done by July 4th weekend.
V3 upgrade in Flagstaff would be great. The existing one has a lot of variance among stalls, and is often busy/full with sharing.

As for 19th and Camelback, I wonder if that is a replacement/upgrade of the Biltmore location in the streets, or if it is at 19th Avenue and Camelback off of I-17. I-17 and Cameback isn't a great area, and would think a location closer to downtown would be better. Of course, all speculation based off the contractor's statements.....

V3 upgrade in Flagstaff would be great. The existing one has a lot of variance among stalls, and is often busy/full with sharing.

As for 19th and Camelback, I wonder if that is a replacement/upgrade of the Biltmore location in the streets, or if it is at 19th Avenue and Camelback off of I-17. I-17 and Cameback isn't a great area, and would think a location closer to downtown would be better. Of course, all speculation based off the contractor's statements.....
Maybe someone will come across permits for Flagstaff (yes, an upgrade there will be good) or for the 19th/Camelback location (Closer to I-17 seems to make more sense). I doubt he would say they have a contract for something that isn’t a firm plan on Tesla‘s part. Maybe we will get another 2 pins for AZ!

Reactions: Sparky1
I would love to see another SC in Flagstaff. The current one gets busy and slow. I hope if they are going to extend Flagstaff, they will expand it at a second location to have easier access (the current one is not too bad but in the Hotel's parking lot)

I think Chandler mall would be a good location as well

Stopped by today to check on this one. Looks like the supercharger cabinets and PDU are now in place. No charging posts or transformer yet. The company doing the install put up a sign with their name on it, looks like it's a different vendor doing the install than the ones that did Quartzite and a few of the others around AZ.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
It’s not odd. 5th largest city with high concentration of Teslas. That require more chargers. Look at Denver they have four times as many per capita.
The AZ Mills Mall already has a EVGO DCFC that even has a Tesla cable. The Electrify American has more stalls but just CCS and 1 CHAdeMO. Soulth Gilbert or Chandler could really use a SC site. EVen just an Urban 70 kW SC. Maybe some day.

Cool! Looks like there already is an Electrify America charging station there at the Arizona Mills mall, so adding a supercharger shouldn’t be too difficult. Odd that this location and the new Mesa supercharger location are only 10 miles apart (Especially after years of supercharger drought in the East valley.)
Yes Mills Mall already has a Electrify America site. I can use that with my CCS Tesla adapter. The Mall also has a single EVGO DCFC of only 50 kW but it does have a Tesla cable on it. Not bad until SC is in and working.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
14 chargers? I thought the permit said 12? Also the installs are typically in multiples of 4.
There are going to be 14 - I went to the site and double counted. From my understanding, yes they are usually in multiples of 4, but in space constrained sites (like if the landlord says you can only have X number of spaces), it might not be maxxed out because the equipment has to go somewhere in that allocated space as well.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9 and PLUS EV