Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - West Hartford, CT

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly a relevant point that affects users turnaround time.

Regarding SC parking for Tesla owners, the manager was basing the before mentioned '2 spots' on casual observation. He did not indicate this was a written policy. He told me that he usually never sees more than one or two cars charging at the same time. We know that this is not always the case and it will be less so in the future. I got the impression that he would be glad to assist any owner that needed charging, however that's a hassle that we'd all like to avoid.

I don't know what contractual obligation they might have with Tesla. I would guess that if this franchise has any discretion or control over the parking, they're likely to utilize the space to maximize restaurant traffic. Hope that there's a workable solution.

Any agreement they have is with the landlord, not the restaurant...

There is a Facebook post in one of the Tesla groups about the W. Hartford SC and this is one of the posts, which is pretty interesting I think and deserves to be addressed:

"To all and PLEASE SHARE. I just spoke to the Franchise owner of Red Robin (Phyllis) in West Hartford, CT. The Tesla contract per Red Robin (which admittedly I have not seen first hand) is for TWO designated SC spots. Again, this is strictly hearsay given no corroborating documentation. According to Red Robin owner in this location, the other spots are not designated for Tesla charging. This is why there are only two Tesla signs. Red Robin/Phyllis welcomes all collaborative suggestions for additional signage so that the Tesla owners do not feel slighted. She shared with me that some owners have gone table to table in the restaurant demanding that vehicles be moved. Security cameras have Tesla owners placing "fake" summons on ICE vehicles using electrical tape. This issue has notably elevated to frustration on both sides ... but it is Tesla's responsibility to either contract for more stalls in alternative locations ... and/or post signage that makes us, as owners, aware of the fact that in this specific location (according to Red Robin/Phyllis, again, as I have not seen the contract) Tesla is "renting" only two designated spots for chargers. Red Robin/Phyllis has offered to meet with me and the other owners to promote positive alternatives rather then future altercations."

There is a Facebook post in one of the Tesla groups about the W. Hartford SC and this is one of the posts, which is pretty interesting I think and deserves to be addressed:

"To all and PLEASE SHARE. I just spoke to the Franchise owner of Red Robin (Phyllis) in West Hartford, CT. The Tesla contract per Red Robin (which admittedly I have not seen first hand) is for TWO designated SC spots. Again, this is strictly hearsay given no corroborating documentation. According to Red Robin owner in this location, the other spots are not designated for Tesla charging. This is why there are only two Tesla signs. Red Robin/Phyllis welcomes all collaborative suggestions for additional signage so that the Tesla owners do not feel slighted. She shared with me that some owners have gone table to table in the restaurant demanding that vehicles be moved. Security cameras have Tesla owners placing "fake" summons on ICE vehicles using electrical tape. This issue has notably elevated to frustration on both sides ... but it is Tesla's responsibility to either contract for more stalls in alternative locations ... and/or post signage that makes us, as owners, aware of the fact that in this specific location (according to Red Robin/Phyllis, again, as I have not seen the contract) Tesla is "renting" only two designated spots for chargers. Red Robin/Phyllis has offered to meet with me and the other owners to promote positive alternatives rather then future altercations."

If this is so then I agree that additional signage should be placed. Do you intend to contact Tesla with that suggestion?

A few have already contacted Tesla regarding to this issue and I'll be doing so as well.

My understanding of the topic on FB is that the manager will keep parking there, but the regional manager is open to suggestion, when the only real suggestion is to not park there so the spaces are always open to Tesla owners. I don't see what is there to discuss, if you need to charge and the stall is blocked what is the point of having a charger in the first place.
People are so damn lazy, parking always as close to an entrance as possible ignoring all signage and common sense.

What doesn't make sense is that contract, who in the world will only lease 2 spots, but allow 8 charging stalls to be built and isn't the restaurant just leasing the space as well?

I hate this charger, and I'm not fond of Red Robin's food.
(Note, they comped my meal for 3 the last time I was there and I had
a long discussion with the manager and regional manager).
I will probably never charger here again when the restaurant is open.
It is just not worth the hassle with other viable options.

The only thing to do is contact Tesla if ever you are completely ICEd. While I have used this charger several times and have seen significant ICEing, I have never been prevented from charging.

If this does become an issue, calls to Tesla could get them to lease the other spots and install appropriate signage.

Btw - having the manager park there on a regular basis sets the wrong tone and just encourages other ICE cars to use the spots. That should be changed.

I charged there last night. There were cones in some spots keeping them open and 2 other Tesla's there. I generally get there after dinner hours so I havent had the same problems people report here. Its not a great location for convenience of food/coffee but ive always managed to charge when needed.But if you arrive and need a charge and they're all blocked there arent good alternatives unlike Darien etc.

I hate this charger, and I'm not fond of Red Robin's food.
(Note, they comped my meal for 3 the last time I was there and I had
a long discussion with the manager and regional manager).
I will probably never charger here again when the restaurant is open.
It is just not worth the hassle with other viable options.

My last two times there I went to Chipotle and Starbucks, and even picked up flowers for our host, drinks, and snacks for the ride at Trader Joe's. There are other options but it's the place to stop if you want to take 84/684.

Btw my cousin from West Hartford who often drives to NYC suggested taking 84W, then 8S to the Merritt or 95. I tried the reverse on my last trip home from NYC and it worked very well.

My last two times there I went to Chipotle and Starbucks, and even picked up flowers for our host, drinks, and snacks for the ride at Trader Joe's. There are other options but it's the place to stop if you want to take 84/684.

Btw my cousin from West Hartford who often drives to NYC suggested taking 84W, then 8S to the Merritt or 95. I tried the reverse on my last trip home from NYC and it worked very well.

The first time I went to W. Hartford I learned not to eat at Red Robin, the second time was with my elderly parents and it was the easiest thing for them.

I have done the Route 8 route, another benefit of I84 is sultanturkish however it is a non-charging stop AFAIK.
We love this restaurant!

Ok guys here's the deal: I stopped by there on the 9th after visiting my mom. The same car you see in all the pictures on this post was there. I spoke to the manager, MaryBeth, to politely express my concern over the situation.......guess what, it's the manager that is doing it. I took the time to explain to nicely explain to her that those spots are only for Tesla vehicles. I also explained that these are paid for by Tesla owners. She says she does it for her safety. And that while there are other alternatives, she informed me that she will continue her practice....It is disheartening to hear the mindset of some people. We've gotten Tesla Government relations involved who made a personal visit to the store. I've also spoken to the owner. Apparently, Tesla has written a contract that says we only have access to the first two chargers exclusively (the ones with the signs), and the others are on a first come, first serve basis. We are in talks with the mall management to limit ICE parking to 15 minutes. I understand safety, but there appears to be a smokescreen of sorts. A sympathetic ear has also spoken to a state legislator about the issue and she intends to introduce legislation that will ticket ICE vehicles parked in these spots. As skboston wrote, the owners name is Phyllis. I have encouraged people to text her so she knows the gravity of the situation. Please be professional when talking to her....our strength comes from civility, politeness and sheer numbers. The last thing we want is to appear as a bunch of privileged, 1st world problem whiners. It would also look bad on the rest of the Tesla owners.

If Tesla has contracted for only the first two spots then perhaps we should change our perspective. The fact that Tesla installed 8 chargers is irrelevant. Only two spots are reserved for us and that is all we should expect to be open. Now if there is only 1 Tesla charging and the others are ICE'd, I'd speak with the manager and ask her to move her car. Otherwise, this is on Tesla for not reserving all the spots. On the other hand, at least it is possible to have more than 2 Tesla's charging when space is available.

By the way - Milford Supercharger stations only have 2 spots each on the North and Southbound sites. While there has been one spot ICE'd, I have never had an issue charging there. My guess is Tesla will pony up for the 8 spots at West Hartford when wait times become onerous.

I stopped there about 8pm on Saturday evening (16th) and there were no spaces ICEd, first two with orange cones and one brown MS60 charging. Kids wanted to go to Red Robin but there was a 25 min wait for 5 people. We went to Olive Garden which was a 10-15 min wait but then interminably slow service and just passable food. I think we would have gotten out faster with RR. With tired, hungry kids at that time of night, next time I'm charging in Milford, even though it would be a little out of the way from our destination northwest of New Haven.

Unless all spots are full please let's not be going table to table accusing people or taping things to cars. A polite note under the windshield wiper letting them know they're potentially blocking someone's trip home should be more than enough. Education rather than accusation.

Yeah, going table to table seems kind of silly.
It appears that all parties affected are now in talks about changing the current arrangement of only 2 spots reserved for Tesla vehicles.

An owner does have the right to be frustrated when a car is parked in a charging spot, since it's unknown that only 2 spots are reserved and 8 chargers are present. I was surprised that only 2 out of 8 will be reserved for Tesla parking.

I also find the safety argument being disguised as "I'm lazy to walk" type of thing and just throwing dust in the eyes. If one is so concerned about their safety, don't leave your home, but then there are risks associated with that too.

If you guys follow the FB post about this, you will see that the community overall is a great place and have come together to bring awareness to the needs of EV owners and promote positive changes.

I was in West Hartford Sunday charging along with two other Model S owners. Located on the west side of the parking row were the two coned spaces. All eight spots were available for charging. None of us were inclined to use the two coned positions. If other owners follow suit we'll be in better shape. The parking lot can then fill up with ICE and there will still be two spots available for owners. A band aid perhaps until it's permanently fixed.

If the manager insists on parking directly behind the restaurant she can claim a space for herself, even put up a sign. The last space on the east side of the superchargers is just a regular parking space.

PeterK those cones were placed there as a result of our talks with the owner. She actually placed them there. However, I'm told she has been less than nice with Tesla and others she spoke with. It is on Tesla to that extent. I have noticed other spots where the signage reserves some charging spots for 30 minute general usage. I kind of understand the rationale. But it also bothers me a bit.

The difficulty with a law banning all ICE parking at a charging spot is that it will make it harder to convince landowners to accept chargers. Presumably Tesla agreed to only two exclusive spots because of a balance of interests and costs. Instead of eight spots total, would we have only had two, or four?

This is a case where willing parties agreed to terms, and I think having a law to revise those terms is a bad idea. Presumably Tesla can pony up more cash to reserve more slots as need dictates.

We should also be cautious in annoying the RR crew. If I were considering installing Superchargers at my hypothetical restaurant, I would make some calls to businesses that already had them.

Stopped by today at 3pm on the last leg of a 1200 mile road trip. No one there, not even the manager.. Another Tesla showed up before we finished...
dde4bf43bbd9c3238cf2be1714a83530.jpg

Stopped by twice this weekend on my way Boston/Philadelphia and back. Both were around 8:30-9pm and all spots were open both times. The main annoyance for me at this location is everything closes early. Even Starbucks closed at 8:30pm last night. But thats mostly a New England thing.