Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Woodburn, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they will take the opportunity to swap out the V2 equipment to make it all V3. I concur with the prior posting from 2021 about having to switch stalls here to get a working v2 stall on busy and hot days.
I'm not aware of any V2 to V3 upgrades. I don't think it is a simple equipment swap, as the wiring/pairing is different. (4 stalls to one cabinet instead of 2 stalls to a cabinet.) So it would likely require ripping it all out and rebuilding it, including the underground conduits. (Likely require a lower gauge wire as well.)

Reactions: Rocky_H
I wonder if they will take the opportunity to swap out the V2 equipment to make it all V3. I concur with the prior posting from 2021 about having to switch stalls here to get a working v2 stall on busy and hot days.

Have they ever done that at other recent expansions or do they just leave the v2 equipment as is. I’ve only seen combi-SCs at some very large (40+ stall) California sites like Kettleman City.
Sadly when I had trouble it was neither a busy nor a hot day. There was only one other car there. The fact that the connector crackled when I went to remove it told me it was just worn out. Given that it's the only time I've run in to a connector in such shape, I suspect Tesla generally keeps up with connector wear, and it was an exception. I'll be going through this area in a few weeks and will report back if I see this sort of issue again.

Have they ever done that at other recent expansions or do they just leave the v2 equipment as is. I’ve only seen combi-SCs at some very large (40+ stall) California sites like Kettleman City.
The only one I recall encountering was Winnemucca, NV, where they added new V3s to the existing V2s, increasing total capacity. (I had the sense most folks aren't aware of the V2/V3 distinction, since 3/4 of the V2s were busy, and only one V3 was.)

The only one I recall encountering was Winnemucca, NV, where they added new V3s to the existing V2s, increasing total capacity. (I had the sense most folks aren't aware of the V2/V3 distinction, since 3/4 of the V2s were busy, and only one V3 was.)
I have had people pull in and go right to the stall paired with mine at an empty Supercharger site. Most people are not the sort of nerds that we are. We're on a forum on the internet. That's not the normal way.

Madonna Inn at SLO, CA has V2 with V3 expansion. 18 total stalls.

Electrical was approved on 6/1 but no movement otherwise. A note on the permit site says Do Not Issue until licensed professional is added to the permit application.

Dig ticket for Blackstone. 3 sites at once!

1661954555895.png

I just read back through this whole thread. The original construction pictures were very interesting - totally different style than what we see today. I found a picture on PlugShare from 2019 suggesting this is a 500 kVA transformer. If so, this site is basically at the limit, so it'll be interesting to see what ends up happening.

So adding one v3 cabinet? Do we know if the permits talk about a second utility transformer installation, or is there enough capacity from the existing one to power the 8 v2 stalls, plus 4 new v3s? The transformer is the long lead item, as everyone here knows.

I've started wondering if Tesla Energy should start building their own transformers, and offering them to the PoCos at cost, to reduce lead times.

Reactions: bruce4000
I've started wondering if Tesla Energy should start building their own transformers, and offering them to the PoCos at cost, to reduce lead times.
It won’t reduce lead times if they still need to inspect and turn on. I don’t the the transformer is the problem. It’s the electric provider having the time to not only install, but then confirm it works and turn on power to the site.

So adding one v3 cabinet? Do we know if the permits talk about a second utility transformer installation, or is there enough capacity from the existing one to power the 8 v2 stalls, plus 4 new v3s? The transformer is the long lead item, as everyone here knows.
They don’t talk about a transformer per se but they are being charged fees based on a new 601-1000 amp service. Safe to say new service means new transformer. Question becomes, are they doing a 1000 amp service and combining it for 8 V2 and 4 V3. 3 phase 480 @ 601A is 499.7 kVa. Sounds like another 500kVa transformer or a 1000kVa transformer to power both.

Just had lunch at Arby’s and there is a pile of hardware sitting in the parking spots to the right (as you are facing them) of the existing stalls. Includes 4 precast pedestal bases, and boxes for 4 v3 pedestals. Couldn’t come at a better time if they get these done before the holiday travel rush. Even midday on a Friday there were never less than 5 of the 8 stalls occupied while we were eating, and we weren’t charging. Rapid turnover too… at one point there were three cars either pulling in or out of a spot at the same time. I think the most we saw was 7 of 8 in use.

Attachments

• A6E2E4D3-9209-460D-81B5-A2AF67B1D73E.jpeg
    A6E2E4D3-9209-460D-81B5-A2AF67B1D73E.jpeg
    803.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 06DE1530-02CE-4F32-B020-835525A488F8.jpeg
    06DE1530-02CE-4F32-B020-835525A488F8.jpeg
    780.6 KB · Views: 47
  • E8DE442A-3710-4829-BFEE-2091BD2F2883.jpeg
    E8DE442A-3710-4829-BFEE-2091BD2F2883.jpeg
    499.2 KB · Views: 57