Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed
And I have used Campbelltown, Yass and Wagga. Heard nothing!
I've used Campbelltown and Yass, but no email.

I've used Euroa (VIC) a few times recently - that's a high usage site that tends to offer an "adjusting charge limit to 80%" advice due to high usage. That's an early build site that could use extra bays and/or V4 upgrade (I'm talking proper substation upgrade). It's currently 6 sites sharing 130kW per pair which is not enough for the current traffic let alone future traffic.

I've used Euroa (VIC) a few times recently - that's a high usage site that tends to offer an "adjusting charge limit to 80%" advice due to high usage. That's an early build site that could use extra bays and/or V4 upgrade (I'm talking proper substation upgrade). It's currently 6 sites sharing 130kW per pair which is not enough for the current traffic let alone future traffic.
If Tesla had proceeded with their planned 10-20 stall site at Benalla that should of taken at lot of the load off of Euroa.

For all the moaning and complaining about the preauth amount Evie (and some other networks) have in place, I wonder what amount Tesla will use in Australia.

In the UK, the preauth amount is 20 pounds (currently about ~38AUD)

IMG_6349.jpeg

In Germany, it's 25 EUR (~41AUD)
IMG_6353.jpeg

In Norway, it's 100 NOK (~14AUD)

And for what it's worth, sessions started using the Tesla app in Australia currently have a $10 preauthorisation.

(Screenshot from a friend who recently did some road tripping in a Cupra)
IMG_6162.jpeg

So I wonder.... will it be the same $10AUD preauthorisation on the V4 payment terminals, as it is in the app.

Or could we see as much as $40, (the equivalent to the GBP/EUR amount) in our local currency.

What do petrol stations preauth if you pay at the pump?
I think most of the pay@pump stations are gone; they want you to use their app now to pay at the pump instead. Or one could say they want you to go in store and play for expensive chocolates and drinks and snacks...
(using apps is probably cheaper/safer than pump mounted payment terminals anyway!)
Not sure what the preauth is for sessions started from the apps are either.

For Costco, you choose the amount you want to preauth, and the pump will fill to that $ amount.
(eg you tap/insert card, pick $50, and it'll fill to $50. If you fill less than that, of course you're only charged for what you used, but like any other preauth, depending on your card issuer is how long it'll take for the difference to drop off)

Reactions: cafz and Jules22
One would argue that the more congested city sites (eg Broadway and Macquarie Park) would also benefit quite a bit from an upgrade to V3/V4
I was at Broadway a couple of weeks ago, and noted with interest that near all the disabled parking spots next to the supercharger had black painted hash-lines all across their surrounds, and a lot of other markings on the ground near the ends of these spots "P3" and the like.

If I didn't know better, I would say it looked to me like they were going to take over the disabled parking spots with more supercharging bays.

Mind - this is my take on what it looked like to me, I know nothing official etc!