Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just me or do others get the impression that Tesla is running a little behind schedule in installing superchargers in Australia? I mean we have Goulburn nominated and Richmond under construction. But it is nearing the end of April.... Shouldn't we have had a further half dozen nominations by now? Chip chop. Adelaide to Brisbane by end of next year is quite a claim. Every 200km right? Maybe I'm just impatient. Things take time.

One more Supercharger in Albury/Wodonga and it should be possible to Supercharge from Melbourne to Sydney?
Melbourne - Albury (~330km), Albury - Goulburn (~360km), Goulburn - Sydney (~200km)

Is it just me or do others get the impression that Tesla is running a little behind schedule in installing superchargers in Australia? I mean we have Goulburn nominated and Richmond under construction. But it is nearing the end of April.... Shouldn't we have had a further half dozen nominations by now? Chip chop. Adelaide to Brisbane by end of next year is quite a claim. Every 200km right? Maybe I'm just impatient. Things take time.
If you follow Evan Beaver on Twitter @evcricket you will see he is doing a lot of travelling at the moment.
Likely most of this is negotiation of site locations with owners and then getting development approval from local councils.

An update today of the Richmond Supercharger - getting close.:biggrin:

View attachment 79105
View attachment 79106
View attachment 79107
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Not sure if heosat has done an updated map so thought I would have a go.

Basis for maps, supercharger at service centre in capital cities and assume most cars are in the capitals so need chargers ~200km radius from these. Also assume that destination chargers will be available further away so NSW south coast, west of Bathurst etc can be covered by destination chargers for a while. Hopefully Tesla can go for stretch targets given sales are above expectation and more chargers especially before the summer holidays will lead to more sales with Tesla's all over the east cost on holidays!
My min for Dec 2015 (based on above I think Brisbane and Adelaide are more important than Gundagai at this stage)
SC_2015Min.jpg

My Stretch target to Dec 2015 which would allow for Tesla owners to travel over a large area for the Jan holidays! Hopefully a service center in Perth but not shown.
SC_2015Stretch.jpg

Min for Dec 2016 if they only get the min for 2015 but hopefully this does not occur or actually is achieved by mid 2016
SC_2016Min.jpg

Stretch target for Dec 2016 Hopefully they can get close to this and sets up ready for a 2017 Aus release of model 3. Some fill in for service centers in Geelong, Newcastle, etc
SC_2016Stretch.jpg

I would love to travel electrically on the Nullabor but this really depends on how many "grey nomads" decide to get into electric driving but I think connecting Darwin in 2017 would already be a very big stretch even if they managed the 2016 stretch and the over 5000 sales (end 2016) that would need to happen to support this investment.

locations in order per state
NSW - Sydney, Goulburn, Albury, Canberra, Buladelah, Ulladulla, Bathurst, Kempsey, Grafton, Muswellbrook, Tamworth, Gundagai, Newcastle, Wollongong
Vic - Melbourne, Seymour, Warnambool, Ararat, Sale, Shepparton, Bendigo, Geelong
QLD - Brisbane, Toowoomba, Maryborough, Rockhampton
SA - Adelaide, Keith, Mt Gambier, Port Pirie, Renmark
WA - Perth, Bunbury

Credit: Maps created with http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm the radius handles make the last map a little hard to read. The radius shown is 200km

Last edited:
I have no knowledge of what will happen but I hope the SuperChargers are placed well north and south of Brisbane. If too close to areas where parking is difficult they will end up being used as convenient free parking (whether that be by Model S or ICE vehicles) rather than for the primary purpose which should be charging. These cars are expensive so generally an owner would have the ability to charge overnight at home taking care of normal day to day use and leaving the SuperChargers available for road trips.

I wonder if Supercharger option revenue would cover all the costs of rollout & power supply globally? It's possible I guess but with ongoing & ever increasing power costs with increasing sales volumes into the future, I'm not so sure unless the Supercharger option price will rise significantly.

I guess that's why there's SolarCity, at least in the US, and economies of scale when considered as an integral masterplan. It'll be interesting to see if the first Superchargers here will be solar installations which presumably will only supplement available power from either traditional dirty or renewable sources.

Elon has been quoted as saying ALL power in Oz will be sourced from renewables and NOT coal.
GH

Wonder how many more will be planned for Melbourne in the next 3 years? More than Chadstone & Richmond would be nice.

I agree. A destination charger at Westfield Doncaster (and a store in the shopping center) would be great. It also doesn't hurt that Porsche, BMW, Mercedes and Audi are all close by on Doncaster Rd.

GH

- - - Updated - - -

Goulburn is listed on the supercharger map as under construction. Should be online by end May.

I've searched, and never found the Goulburn site 'under construction' as of 1 May 2015. Can you supply a link to the page you are looking at please ?

Thanks, Greg.

I imagine this is old news but it's the first time I noticed it.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors Australia

Above the Asia/Australia map there are three headings i.e. Today, 2015 and 2016

Today just shows the two SuperChargers in Sydney.
2015 shows another 8 running from maybe just south of Newcastle to Melbourne.
2016 shows a futher 6 running from north of Newcastle to just south of Gympie.

The map is so vague that the north/south of Newcastle and south of Gympie are no more than guesses.

So a total of 16 SuperChargers by end of 2016 along the east coast (Gympie to Melbourne).

Last edited:
I imagine this is old news but it's the first time I noticed it.

Supercharger | Tesla Motors Australia

Above the Asia/Australia map there are three headings i.e. Today, 2015 and 2016

Today just shows the two SuperChargers in Sydney.
2015 shows another 8 running from maybe just south of Newcastle to Melbourne.
2016 shows a futher 6 running from north of Newcastle to just south of Gympie.

The map is so vague that the north of Newcastle and south of Gympie are no more than guesses.

So a total of 16 SuperChargers by end of 2016 along the east coast (Gympie to Melbourne).

Yes I noticed that a while ago but it is very significant because if that is indeed the case, it means that the Newcastle or Taree area Supercharger will be built this year. That would mean a carefree journey from Sydney to Port Macquarie where destination chargers are available, allowing travel much further north before the 2016 Supercharger rollout.