Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get rid of the NACS icon, and show a Type 2 / CCS icon instead alongside the 'Tesla' and 'Tesla (Fast)' plugs

The current situation is bad, but doesn't hiding the Type 2 plugs in this way cause issues with legacy vehicles that still use the Type 2 plug for supercharging?

If I buy a second hand Model S I will find it difficult to find superchargers that still have the old plugs attached to them won't I? Or do these all likely have a CCS adapter by now?

In any case I think it's correct that they have updated all V2 sites to show Tesla + CCS, and V3 sites to show only CCS, but they shouldn't have done it until they properly fixed filtering for "Tesla Drivers Only" on the app.

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 9.27.55 am.png

buy a second hand Model S I will find it difficult to find superchargers that still have the old plugs attached to them won't I? Or do these all likely have a CCS adapter by now?
I can't imagine there are many Model S/X owners that regularly roadtrip that haven't taken up the CCS2 upgrade option.
(Remember the CHAdeMO adapter is max 50kW)

There will be a few cars that only get driven locally, but that's not exactly Plugshares target market.

To my knowledge, if you don't have the CCS upgrade your car's nav won't show you the new CCS-only sites.

They weren't taking out old sites, so S/X drivers still had access to all the locations they did previously.. all the new sites are either in-fill or in new areas, However, then they took out the old Horsham sled, so there is now a 385 km gap without any Type 2 superchargers.

Reactions: ARMARM
imo there's a bunch of things PlugShare could do;

- Actually take restrictions like 'Tesla Drivers Only' into account when showing charging sites, based on the vehicle selected!!!!!!!
- Get rid of the NACS icon, and show a Type 2 / CCS icon instead alongside the 'Tesla' and 'Tesla (Fast)' plugs - this is what Google Maps does in Australia
- In Australia, convert all 'Tesla' plugs to Type 2 instead, with a "Tesla Drivers Only" restriction by default unless the destination charger is open to Non-Tesla EVs
- In Australia, convert all 'Tesla (Fast)' plugs to CCS2 with the "Tesla Drivers Only" restriction enabled, unless that supercharger is open to Non-Tesla EVs
- Turn off the "Supercharger" charging network (still seems dumb they can adjust/show networks by region, but not plug types) by default unless the vehicle selected is a Tesla

Have you sent these suggestions to Plugshare?

Have you sent these suggestions to Plugshare?
I've sent numerous suggestions to Plugshare over the years. They don't care. They're owned by a US charging network now (EVgo) and all they really care about is making money by getting people to use Pay with Plugshare. The fact that areas outside the USA use different plugs for Teslas is just seen as a nuisance issue that generates more work (but no revenue) for them.

I'd love to see the EV community dump Plugshare but it's so ingrained that it's a lost cause. I just ensure that I update OpenChargeMap and OpenStreetMap, etc. as well, so when the revolt happens all the data is available.

that they are more badly needed on highways and major roads.
They are very much doing both.

You can see from our Wiki the current and known under construction/ planned sites.

They are very much doing both.

You can see from our Wiki the current and known under construction/ planned sites.
That's encouraging. But in QLD they are ALL in cities or major populous areas. There isn't anything if one decides to do a QLD road trip. It seems that at present if we decided to do a long drive, we'd need to hire an ICE vehicle. That's just stupid.

Some are, but in Qld specifically a lot of them are 50 kW or 75 kW.

The Qld Government has more funding on the way for faster locations: Queensland EV Charging Infrastructure Scheme

It's certainly not as simple or fast as using superchargers, but while it sounds heaps slower, you car spends a lot of time, even at a supercharger, under 75 kW. See this diagram of a supercharging session I did at Euroa - 75 kW marked with the purple line. The 22 min session might have been 30-35 min instead.

1680139036718.png

Driving to the gold coast from Sydney in the next couple of weeks. It’ll be during school holidays

Any tips on which chargers I should avoid?

Currently ABRP is saying I need a stop at port Macquarie and Maclean if I leave Sydney with 100%

Should I top up anywhere else in case those are packed?

Never had to use them before , m3 LR

So I'll give a pass mark to Tesla for Q1 constructions.

They only had 3 to do - Sydney (Campbeltown), Blaxland and Brisbane (South/ Rochedale)..

All three are nearing completion and Campbeltown got seemingly complete by the deadline (if you used US timezones.)

But we've also got the bonus site of Sutton's Forest/ Exeter nearing completion..

Q2 is equally a small month with only Armidale on the list.

That said we are well overdue a map update, which will hopefully start giving timeframes for other NSW Govt funded sites, and also the results of the Qld funding round are due any time.

@fobo

Heatherbrae SC is just north of Newcastle. A bit of a walk to the fast food places.

Port Macquarie supercharger is before the Maclean SC. It is in the Cassegrain winery and needs a small detour when coming from the south. 24 hours clean toilets. The restaurant does coffee from 10am, lunch 11 Wed-Fri and brunch 9am, 11:30 lunch Sat-Sun.

Coffs Harbour SC is in one of the shopping centres. Needs a little bit of car park navigation to get to, but not horrible. There is a Jamaica Blue coffee shop inside the centre and some fast food chains nearby.

Driving to the gold coast from Sydney in the next couple of weeks. It’ll be during school holidays

Any tips on which chargers I should avoid?

Currently ABRP is saying I need a stop at port Macquarie and Maclean if I leave Sydney with 100%

Should I top up anywhere else in case those are packed?
The Heatherbrae and Coffs Superchargers are both easy to get to going north without much of a detour, so you could drop in there if they're free as you go past and you feel like a break.

Evie at Taree South Service Centre is also a good potential stop, particularly if your co-driver tells you Port is looking busy.

If you're there at lunch, the Cassegrain restaurant at the Port Macquarie Supercharger is well worth stopping for a meal.

Reactions: fobo