Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Different experience to my trip. Arrived back from a trip from Sydney-Dubbo-Orange-Albury-Sydney had had a perfect charging experience.

Yes, south of Sydney has been greatly improved in recent weeks/months with fast charging! North of Sydney, not so much.

Apparently Heatherbrae SC had traffic marshalls in recent days to manage queues, but I couldn’t see any there today in our quick drive-by.

Yes, south of Sydney has been greatly improved in recent weeks/months with fast charging! North of Sydney, not so much.

Apparently Heatherbrae SC had traffic marshalls in recent days to manage queues, but I couldn’t see any there today in our quick drive-by.
Yes for the first time on a road trip I felt like I had multiple options. Hopefully by this time next year Sydney to Brisbane will be the same.

Reactions: johnchidgey
I've been putting the call out for a last minute boost to Mildura in the supercharger voting - copy of post below - feel free to share to any forums/groups you are in:

---

Supercharger voting - call to action to all Australian Tesla/EV owners and enthusiasts!

Please visit the Tesla supercharger voting page at - https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/supercharger-voting, log in with your Tesla account (you can create one if you don’t already), and vote for Mildura - and any others that you want, but Mildura is the important one.

Why only one? This is because the current voting round could close at any moment and the priority is to get this one into the top 5 - it only needs 70 or so votes to do so.

When the next round starts (could be tomorrow, could be in two weeks), I'll make another post with a recommended top 5 voting block.

A summary of supercharger voting and how the voting block plans work is in this Google Doc: Supercharger voting - call to action

-----

As I write this, #5 position is Suwa (Japan) with 982 votes, and #6 is Mildura with 938 votes.

Rockhampton is #7, but it has already been built, the next highest Australian one is Braidwood on 700 votes, which (based on stats from when I did this last quarter) is probably just out of reach as to what we could reach in the time remaining. I figure since voting is closing shortly we just focus on Mildura.

(Thought bubble following...)
As to what the next "block of five" will be, it depends if Mildura makes it, and/or what other sites are added/removed from the list of options, but the intention is to support sites that require the extra assistance - not to vote for sites that will be built by natural network growth - and also to spread the votes around the country. Vic has the most number of winning sites, Tas and Qld haven't had any, so the list would probably start with:
  • Port Wakefield, SA
  • Campbell Town, Tas
  • Ipswich, Qld
  • Braidwood, NSW
But if (for example) "more remote" sites in any of these states are added to the voting list, I'd rather the more remote sites get priority.

I've been putting the call out for a last minute boost to Mildura in the supercharger voting - copy of post below - feel free to share to any forums/groups you are in:

---

Supercharger voting - call to action to all Australian Tesla/EV owners and enthusiasts!

Please visit the Tesla supercharger voting page at - https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/supercharger-voting, log in with your Tesla account (you can create one if you don’t already), and vote for Mildura - and any others that you want, but Mildura is the important one.

Why only one? This is because the current voting round could close at any moment and the priority is to get this one into the top 5 - it only needs 70 or so votes to do so.

When the next round starts (could be tomorrow, could be in two weeks), I'll make another post with a recommended top 5 voting block.

A summary of supercharger voting and how the voting block plans work is in this Google Doc: Supercharger voting - call to action

-----

As I write this, #5 position is Suwa (Japan) with 982 votes, and #6 is Mildura with 938 votes.

Rockhampton is #7, but it has already been built, the next highest Australian one is Braidwood on 700 votes, which (based on stats from when I did this last quarter) is probably just out of reach as to what we could reach in the time remaining. I figure since voting is closing shortly we just focus on Mildura.

(Thought bubble following...)
As to what the next "block of five" will be, it depends if Mildura makes it, and/or what other sites are added/removed from the list of options, but the intention is to support sites that require the extra assistance - not to vote for sites that will be built by natural network growth - and also to spread the votes around the country. Vic has the most number of winning sites, Tas and Qld haven't had any, so the list would probably start with:
  • Port Wakefield, SA
  • Campbell Town, Tas
  • Ipswich, Qld
  • Braidwood, NSW
But if (for example) "more remote" sites in any of these states are added to the voting list, I'd rather the more remote sites get priority.
Please folks. I emplore you. Vote for Point Cook.

There is a gaping hole in the charging situation between Melbourne and Ballarat and this would be a first step to addressing this.

Everything else is up for discussion ( I voted for Mildura after that).

Please folks. I emplore you. Vote for Point Cook.

There is a gaping hole in the charging situation between Melbourne and Ballarat and this would be a first step to addressing this.

Everything else is up for discussion ( I voted for Mildura after that).
There are better places than PC if you are wanting to fill the gap between Melb and Ballarat.
Deer park for example if you are wanting one so close to Moonee Ponds.

Impressive. Braidwood and Leongatha still a way off.

Screenshot_20240109_212106.jpg

There are better places than PC if you are wanting to fill the gap between Melb and Ballarat.
Deer park for example if you are wanting one so close to Moonee Ponds.
To clarify: I don't want to tell anyone who they have to vote for.

But if you look at the voting list, there are a pile of Aussie sites down the bottom, with 200-300 votes each that don't have a chance.

There are at least 17 Australian sites that people can vote for. If we spread votes across 17 different sites, (almost) none will get in the top 5. If we pick five sites and we vote for them all, there's a good chance they all will. That's my intention with the voting block.

I've tried to be as fair as possible, I've listed a bit of an explanation in the Google Doc:

The intention is to support sites that require the extra assistance - not to vote for sites that will be built by natural network growth.
  • Urban sites are low priority. These sites primarily serve residents of major cities, which already have a number of superchargers - Tesla can use existing site usage data to scope out demand for future superchargers locations.
  • Sometimes, Tesla will include a site which is already in progress (e.g. Rockhampton), or is already guaranteed to get a site, due to receiving government funding - these are excluded from the list.
  • The sites should be evenly distributed across different states, as much as possible.

To clarify: I don't want to tell anyone who they have to vote for.

But if you look at the voting list, there are a pile of Aussie sites down the bottom, with 200-300 votes each that don't have a chance.

There are at least 17 Australian sites that people can vote for. If we spread votes across 17 different sites, (almost) none will get in the top 5. If we pick five sites and we vote for them all, there's a good chance they all will. That's my intention with the voting block.

I've tried to be as fair as possible, I've listed a bit of an explanation in the Google Doc:

The intention is to support sites that require the extra assistance - not to vote for sites that will be built by natural network growth.
  • Urban sites are low priority. These sites primarily serve residents of major cities, which already have a number of superchargers - Tesla can use existing site usage data to scope out demand for future superchargers locations.
  • Sometimes, Tesla will include a site which is already in progress (e.g. Rockhampton), or is already guaranteed to get a site, due to receiving government funding - these are excluded from the list.
  • The sites should be evenly distributed across different states, as much as possible.
I totally get that and I voted for the sites where that vote would matter most.

I was just pointing out that there are better places (not necessarily on the voting list and I used Deer Park as an example) if closing that gap was the goal.
For example, DP is on the road out to Ballarat and PC is a pretty big detour.

I think it's a great idea
Maybe I'll draft something up for when the Q1 voting starts, and create the thread then?

The first item would probably have to be a wiki, so that it can be updated each quarter. Or it could just link to the Google doc I wrote, but a lot of people may not click through to that. Not sure if the forum has a better mechanism for this?