Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just the FSD visualizations were confirmed to be, the new games are likely to be as well. The rest should be able to be implemented but there are no confirmations of it on an MCU1 car yet that I have seen

Isn't the fact its HW3 muddying the waters with the MCU issue (regarding FSD visualization)? @verygreen now has a MCU1/HW3 vehicle and I bet dollars to donuts it can do the FSD visualization when he gets the FW loaded.

I'm sure games are MCU2 only and text message reading should be MCU1/2 but knowing Tesla and Elon, they probably don't want to put in the effort for MCU1. I can't imagine "camp mode" won't be MCU agnostic.

Reactions: kavyboy
Isn't the fact its HW3 muddying the waters with the MCU issue (regarding FSD visualization)? @verygreen now has a MCU1/HW3 vehicle and I bet dollars to donuts it can do the FSD visualization when he gets the FW loaded.

I'm sure games are MCU2 only and text message reading should be MCU1/2 but knowing Tesla and Elon, they probably don't want to put in the effort for MCU1. I can't imagine "camp mode" won't be MCU agnostic.

Yes, my bad. Visualizations are HW3 tied not MCU2 tied. Just nobody but him has that combo right now...

Yeah I could see the new voice command system breaking away too based on the "MCU1 is legacy" mentality.

@Nosken - Sentry recording to USB, like dashcam capability, does not depend on which MCU you have. It depends on whether your car has HW2 or HW 2.5. If you have HW2, upgrading to HW3 will not give you these features. If you started with HW2.5, you already have these features and will keep them when upgrading to HW3. HW2.5 provides newer cameras that are used for Sentry recording and dashcam.capabilities. Cameras are not updgraded when you go from HW2 to HW3.

@Nosken - Sentry recording to USB, like dashcam capability, does not depend on which MCU you have. It depends on whether your car has HW2 or HW 2.5. If you have HW2, upgrading to HW3 will not give you these features. If you started with HW2.5, you already have these features and will keep them when upgrading to HW3. HW2.5 provides newer cameras that are used for Sentry recording and dashcam.capabilities. Cameras are not updgraded when you go from HW2 to HW3.
Thanks. Unfortunately I have HW2 in my 11/16 build Model S. 85,000 mile in with extended warranty, hoping to avoid EMMC failure until MCU2 upgrade might be available.

Reactions: technoz
Umm, that’s precisely what Tesla has publicly committed to do for all purchasers of FSD.
Absolutely correct, except, and this is a big one, they never said by when. They specifically added the fine print about validation and regulation. They can always tell you, kind of like Elon recently did, that they are still working on how to make FSD work with MCU1 ("thorny problem" as Elon put it).

I've been a Tesla customer since 2013. I bought 4 Model S'es. If there is one thing I learned about Tesla is not never, ever, pay for any vaporware, as most of the time it never comes, or comes in a super underwhelming form. Then buying a Tesla, make sure you are happy with only the features present on delivery day.

Though I wonder why AP slams on the brakes if a car passes in front of you perpendicular to the driving path and the car is already out of your car's driving path.

It's annoying to me and also dangerous if a car is behind me because my car is slamming on the brakes for no reason (the car is no longer in my driving path!)
yes, agree. There is a stretch of road up here with 55 MPH speed limit and somewhat rural, so cars cross over the road at various places. My X slams on the brakes even after a car has crossed and at the limit of the radar range (far ahead). When I am travelling 50 mph on that road, it would take almost 10 seconds for me to hit such a car even if it were to stall in the middle of the road, so I don't know why it is so important for the Tesla to slam on the brakes. A gradual slowdown would do just fine. To compensate, I have to hit the accelerator to prevent cars behind me from plowing into my trunk.

yes, agree. There is a stretch of road up here with 55 MPH speed limit and somewhat rural, so cars cross over the road at various places. My X slams on the brakes even after a car has crossed and at the limit of the radar range (far ahead). When I am travelling 50 mph on that road, it would take almost 10 seconds for me to hit such a car even if it were to stall in the middle of the road, so I don't know why it is so important for the Tesla to slam on the brakes. A gradual slowdown would do just fine. To compensate, I have to hit the accelerator to prevent cars behind me from plowing into my trunk.

Maybe Tesla AP team specifically hard coded extra caution (brake slamming) due to the first AP1 fatality crash in FL several years ago. Wasn’t that scenario where a truck was crossing perpendicular to the Tesla on AP and the radar and camera didn’t pick it up, so the Model S crashed under the truck? Then, the same scenario happened again last year with a Model 3 with AP2+ hardware.

Maybe Tesla AP team specifically hard coded extra caution (brake slamming) due to the first AP1 fatality crash in FL several years ago. Wasn’t that scenario where a truck was crossing perpendicular to the Tesla on AP and the radar and camera didn’t pick it up, so the Model S crashed under the truck? Then, the same scenario happened again last year with a Model 3 with AP2+ hardware.

well you might be right about that. yea, that was the scenario, but if I recall correctly, the driver was also going at least 70 mph. Probably better to be conservative I guess, but it is so annoying to be that I don't use AP on the stretch of highway I mentioned. Perhaps it will get better in future updates.

Before this happens and you recognize that it might, just lightly put your foot on the accelerator to maintain your speed. This is what I do.

Last edited:

It is slightly MCU dependant, in that MCU 1 AP 2.5 cars cannot record the rear camera, while MCU 2 AP 2.5 cars can.

I might be late to the game here, but if we took a poll, what is the split between mcu1 upgrade motivations?
Reason 1: wants the newer features
Reason 2: wants to replace a failing mcu with worn out emmc chips
Reason 3: doesn't necessarily want the new features, but would like the speed/reliability upgrade

It's ok to want them all, but I know there is a large group of early adopters that just want to know Tesla is going to take care of them and they can continue to use an (older) car that still meets their needs.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Now I'm truly confused. HW2.0 vs HW2.5 - it's not just the AP computer that got an upgrade, but also some cameras and sensors. I'm assuming at this point that when the computer gets upgraded from HW2.0 to HW3, it's solely going to be the AP unit and not the cameras.

Can anyone specifically say what changed between 2.0 and 2.5?

As an aside, I'm thinking that my EMMC is starting to go as I cannot get the rear camera to work despite AutoPilot still engaging and working so far as I can tell without issue. What are some of the common issues once the EMMC starts to fail?

Now I'm truly confused. HW2.0 vs HW2.5 - it's not just the AP computer that got an upgrade, but also some cameras and sensors. I'm assuming at this point that when the computer gets upgraded from HW2.0 to HW3, it's solely going to be the AP unit and not the cameras.

Can anyone specifically say what changed between 2.0 and 2.5?

As an aside, I'm thinking that my EMMC is starting to go as I cannot get the rear camera to work despite AutoPilot still engaging and working so far as I can tell without issue. What are some of the common issues once the EMMC starts to fail?

I dont believe anyone with HW2.0 has had their vehicle outfitted with the newer FSD computer thus far.