Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this really works? Sounds like an awful coding job to me.

First time I took my car into SC the guy said that I had way too many previous navigation searches and trip data stored and it bogs down the cpu like crazy. He said you have no idea how much data the MCU is really storing for every mile it records in a trip, so when you have a lot saved, it's having to process a TON of info. To be honest mine wasn't even acting that badly (MCU1) at the time, but he cleared it all and it's been great since!

First time I took my car into SC the guy said that I had way too many previous navigation searches and trip data stored and it bogs down the cpu like crazy. He said you have no idea how much data the MCU is really storing for every mile it records in a trip, so when you have a lot saved, it's having to process a TON of info. To be honest mine wasn't even acting that badly (MCU1) at the time, but he cleared it all and it's been great since!
I had the same issue and a "clean sweep" fixed it all.

I had the same issue and a "clean sweep" fixed it all.

So I was indeed surprised that all my destinations since day one were still there. Were: indeed as I patiently deleted them all.
Don’t see directly a jump in speed but maybe you can elaborate on what in the mcu1 has gained in speed. Is it an overall feeling, the navigation map moves are smoother, Spotify connect faster,... ?

Thanks

So I was indeed surprised that all my destinations since day one were still there. Were: indeed as I patiently deleted them all.
Don’t see directly a jump in speed but maybe you can elaborate on what in the mcu1 has gained in speed. Is it an overall feeling, the navigation map moves are smoother, Spotify connect faster,... ?

Thanks
I was experiencing white blocks in the navigation map would take seconds for it to load correctly. Sluggishness with screen window popups too.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP

Thanks
Mine was lagging so much that the browser had completely stopped functioning all together and the trip and energy meters would only work for a few miles and then freeze up. After the reset everything work’s perfectly.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP
I have a 2013 model which has MCU1. The voice recognition works 99% of the time. Only on rare occasions do I need to repeat a command.

My 2016 Model S is the same.

How is that possible? Do you have solid mobile coverage in your area? Maybe that is my issue. I can't tell you how many times I have had people in my car and tried "drive to..." or 'play..." only to get a look of "yeah, your car is not ready for prime time."

I doubt it. If the car has LTE, the owner is mistaken that MCU1.1 is newest. LTE upgrades are not that rare and could be bought at any service center.

MCU2 actually has lower resolution at 1080 pixels wide. Or they are referring to the IC screen that was updated years ago.

Right. It's possible his whole MCU was replaced with a newer MCU1. That would have given the car a higher res screen (compared to what would have been in the 2013) as well as the LTE modem I believe.

I doubt it. If the car has LTE, the owner is mistaken that MCU1.1 is newest. LTE upgrades are not that rare and could be bought at any service center.

MCU2 actually has lower resolution at 1080 pixels wide. Or they are referring to the IC screen that was updated years ago.
That’s what I was thinking. It’s highly unlikely that Tesla just randomly upgraded his MCU when people are begging Tesla to take their money to do the same thing.

I’m having a hard time picking a price that would be “ok”. I’m just under 40k miles. Have to consider the extended warranty cost + mcu cost + ... makes a new car tempting.

Btw - was also told clearing the trip counters helps.